GO!

Native Reserve Feral Dogs....Why?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 6:04am PST 
Found this article on my fb this morning: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/02/volunteers-struggle-to-reduc e-wild-dog-population-plaguing-native-reserves/

Looking at the pictures it got me thinking...
Is it just me, or are they all very cattle-doggy looking?
I've noticed this also in the dogs brought down from the reserves in Ontario as well.

As far as I know, ACDs aren't overly popular or abundant here in Canada (although it would maybe make sense in Calgary?).

Just sort of wondering if anyone had any ideas to why this is?
I did have a passing thought that maybe Rigby was originally from a reserve (especially as I found a very similar looking dog in rescue with a similar "found as a stray" and "fearful of people" in the same area), however the nearest reserve to there is over an hour away.

A second question, raising these feral dogs from adolescence - what sort of behavioural traits would be common or speculated?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:23am PST 
Hey Rigby, living the next province over from where this project takes place and having fostered two Rez dogs myself I felt the need to buy the "Dogs with No Names" book and it has been eye opening. I'm not even half done, ironically can't find time to read it because of foster dogs. laugh out loud

In it they talk about the type of dog that is a Rez dog, med-size dog because a large breed can't find enough food to survive and a small dog is food. The double coat is common and so are darker colours. Really all it would take to get one area (all the pictures in article were taking at the same rez)flush with ACD looking dogs would be one or two male ACD or ACD mixes ending up there and spreading their genes in an uncontrolled fashion.

I can tell you we don't have many (or any) ACD looking dogs from the Rezs that my rescue pulls from. But that was a Southern Alberta rez and we take from a Northern Saskatchewan Rez.

Edited by author Mon Feb 4, '13 7:25am PST

[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:34am PST 
Looking into that book now, sounds interesting!
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 9:10am PST 
It is! Highly recommend it, the pictures are high quality and heart breaking. There's a picture in black & white in the start of the book of a dog with its head resting in a pair of hands and the other page says something like, "For all dogs that need a helping hand" and I started crying right there, before I even started reading! I guess just being having had those dogs in my house (one still with me waiting for a home) it just hit home for me because THESE are the thankful rescue dogs I had heard about. When I adopted Jewel I joked about how she wasn't thankful and compaired to the Rez dogs she wasn't.

These dogs...just words fail me...so grateful for anything that they would take abuse to get it. Does that makes sense? I had one that was scared of men but would still come near them for food but came up to them in a slinking head down way like he was sure he was going to get hit but was going to take it because *I* was asking it of him.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 9:35am PST 
ACDs tend to be popular across the prairies. Cattle ranches, feedlots, etc have a need for tough, hardy, independant dogs. In addition they are popular with the rodeo set and you generally find at least one kickin around on any horse farm.
Also taking into account that the BC/GSD cross is probably one of the most common and this CAN produce a mid sized, medium coat, tri color or ticked dog with pricked ears. In general around here anyway if its got the 'blue' ticking and upright ears the shelters will label them ACD crosses.shrug
In addition Jewel is correct. Research has shown that any population of feral dogs will create mid size, medium coat, similar looking offspring. If this seems odd keep in mind what Kelpies look like and look at wild dogs around the globe. Nature has a plan
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 11:28am PST 
Makes sense with the dominant/recessive traits.

Something I've always been interested in is the "natural" look of the dog.
specifically how so many ask the questions "why do giant/tiny breeds not live so long?" I wonder if it's due to that it's simply not how nature would select the dogs to be. Especially if you consider the other memebers of the Canidae family and their size.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:07pm PST 
I remember reading somewhere ages ago after 8 mutt breedings you will get a dog of type that looks like a kelpie in size and shape no matter what dogs you started off with. And that kelpies are esentially dogs of type with herder drive, and that they do not show up on wisdom panel because of that ... you just get mixed breed I think. Certainly a lot pariah dogs resemble the black and tan kelpie. I think black and tan is the colour of type too. We even have black and tan dingoes here and man that look like JT!
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 6:08pm PST 
I just actually read the article and looked at the photos.red face That particular Rez is IN Calgary and yes there are massive numbers of ACDs there. Also a ton of GSDs and oddly quite a number of Boxersshrug
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 4:20pm PST 
Guest that's a pretty broad and insulting statement. And completely untrue. Just because on person is an idiot does not, and should not, reflect on every member of that gene pool.
Not to mention it has no bearing on this discussion.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 5:51pm PST 
shocksilenced
Squ'mey's name comes from the Hulq'min'um language. It means dog.
Sabi applause
I do not use the term "Reserve". What are we reserving? I prefer the word Nation. And I did work in the tribal school, and worked for the ministry of child & family services..so yes I have extensive experience working closely with the First Nations. I must agree that what you are saying is just not true across the board, and does not add to the thread topic.

Edited by author Sun Feb 17, '13 5:58pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2