GO!

Help me out with a breed match =)?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 5:29pm PST 
Ok, so I won’t be getting the dog for another year to two years probably. I want to give myself plenty of time to find a reputable breeder and to get everything necessary ready. I’ll start with my experience with dogs first.

I grew up with German Shepherds but they were always outside dogs and only came in the house for a couple to a few hours a day. They were soft dogs and we never had any problems with them (though I am the first to admit we did an awful job socializing them with other dogs). Great with people though!

They lived for 11 years and then we didn’t have any dogs. I then got my *own* dog about 5 years after the death of the second German Shepherd. He’s a kelpie mix, supposedly. He’s pretty easy going with a fine temperament. He’s content being a couch potato as long as he gets to run freely in the forest preserve every week. He’s smart and wants me to be happy with him but doesn’t do too much in terms of proving his “pleasing qualities.” In other words he’s not all up in my grill and actively trying to work with me to impress me and be my pal. Sometimes this quality bums me out and I wish he was more eager to please training wise. But regardless, he has a nice long trick list we’ve worked on.

I also have a second dog now, a purebred Labrador with working lines in him. I got him at 8 weeks and now he’s about 14 months. He’s off the wall energy wise but he does manage to keep it under control in the house except for when I first come home. I try my best to get him out and about to the dog park as often as possible. He still loves eating everything in the house. He does, however, seem very happy and dedicated to learning tricks and he’s working with me on learning nose work games. We’re growing together and I love it.

But in retrospect I think I should’ve gone with a dog that had a little less energy though I certainly don’t regret having him. I like that his learning style is forgiving and I think he’s a great dog for me to improve my training skills with.

I think, actually, if my schedule permitted it, we actually wouldn’t have any problems with him, I just can’t get him out of the house as often as I’d like to because I’m always at work.

I work at a dog kennel and I watch over the dogs in doggy-day care. I am exposed to hundreds of dogs every day and I have no fears of working with some of the “scarier” breeds.

What I’m looking for:
- A dog with moderate energy. Willing to go out for a long hike in the forest any day of the week but also won’t be upset about hanging out at the house
- A dog that is not commonly dog aggressive. I’m perfectly content getting a female for same sex aggression problems though.
- A medium to large dog though I may be open to something smaller.
- I don’t care about grooming requirements, I’m willing to vacuum every day if I have to
- Wants to please
- Wants to hug and cuddle
- Smart enough to humor my desires for tricks and sports. I’d like to dabble but not dedicate my life to things like nose work and agility. But I also don’t want the dog gunning me for a bunch of mental stimulation like a border collie would.
- Not gonna lie, I definitely like the more the interesting looking breeds but I understand I may not find what I need in those breeds. Some of the dogs I like the look of are the darker masked Akitas, Czech. Vlacks, Beaucerons, Tervurens, etc. I know those aren't the dogs for me though. The Akita I think could've been a possibility but I'm not sure how they are with other dogs in the house?
- I’d rather not be out thousands of dollars on yearly vet bills…

Thanks!
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:12am PST 
I think a Golden Retriever would be good for you.

My grandma has owned several Akita's and they shed a lot! like literaly piles of hair on the ground. The pure bred ones she has had have not been "to aggressive". One she had snapped at a child, and she has had one that does not like other dogs. Also she has had many medical problems with the pure bred Akitas. The best one she had she adopted from a shelter. He is a Akita/lab mix and is a very good dog. No agression, very smart. It is like he gained all the good qualities of each breed, and he has had no health problems.

If you are set on the Akita, my advise would be to go to a Akita rescue and find a mix. If not then I think a Golden Retriever sounds perfect for you.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:39am PST 
Akitas are a poor choice if you want a dog friendly dog. DA and SSA are common, they require diligant and dedicated owners. Training and proper socialization is a MUST. This is breed that has the potential to get really out of hand and the ability and strength to create a tragedy.
Might I suggest that you go to a few dog shows and speak to some breeders. All of the breeds you mentioned would be poor choices based on what you want.
[notify]

Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 11:07am PST 
Here's my list for your consideration:

Collie (rough or smooth)
Lowchen
Foxhound

A smaller consideration:
Boarder Terrier
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 4:48pm PST 
A smooth collie may be a good fit for you

-A dog with moderate energy. Willing to go out for a long hike in the forest any day of the week but also won’t be upset about hanging out at the house---collies are active dogs but not as active as a border collie. The ones I know like to walk but are also okay with lounging around

- A dog that is not commonly dog aggressive. I’m perfectly content getting a female for same sex aggression problems though.---collies are not known for being DA
- A medium to large dog though I may be open to something smaller.--collies are the correct size
- I don’t care about grooming requirements, I’m willing to vacuum every day if I have to--rough collies need brushing at least weekly but smooths are very easy to care for
- Wants to please--collies like most herding breeds want to please
- Wants to hug and cuddle--collies are affectionate
- Smart enough to humor my desires for tricks and sports. I’d like to dabble but not dedicate my life to things like nose work and agility. But I also don’t want the dog gunning me for a bunch of mental stimulation like a border collie would.--Collies are not as intense as a BC but likes to work and learn
- Not gonna lie, I definitely like the more the interesting looking breeds but I understand I may not find what I need in those breeds. Some of the dogs I like the look of are the darker masked Akitas, Czech. Vlacks, Beaucerons, Tervurens, etc. I know those aren't the dogs for me though. The Akita I think could've been a possibility but I'm not sure how they are with other dogs in the house?---Smooth collies are unique looking and most people will ask what they are
- I’d rather not be out thousands of dollars on yearly vet bills…--each breed has health issues, its unavoidable but overall collies seem to be a healthy breed

If Tiller chimes in there will be many more suggestions Im sure.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:16pm PST 
I would definitely recommend the collie (you can always go the smooth route if brushing is a big drawback... but I think the rough coats are so beautiful) I remember not too long ago I was participating in a thread where the collie came up and they sound a lot like what you're describing. I'm sure there are others who have more personal experience with them who can chime in but I would agree they'd definitely be a dog worth looking into at least.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:55pm PST 
I'll have to chime in and agree with either a Rough or Smooth Collie. Natasha has me sucked into the world of Collies! laugh out loud Before we got her, I never really wanted a Collie, but now, it's obvious the breed is a good match for me. After I got her, I began researching the breed and found that Natasha was probably poorly bred and poorly socialized, resulting in a nervous and fearful dog, which isn't breed standard. They can be a bit barky, but I haven't had any issues with training her not to bark constantly. She is highly intelligent and has a unique play style that none of my other dogs have ever displayed, which I think is due to her herding heritage.

The only things I dislike about Natasha is her nervous, fearful behavior around new people and situations, but that's understandable considering her past, and I have no trouble with working with her on those issues. I really love fluffy, flowing coats, which fits the Rough Collie to a "T", but holy cow, is it a pain to groom! laugh out loud Especially since she absolutely adores running through tall grass while out walking and picks up every. single. burr! confused laugh out loud I don't have a professional groomer to turn to, so it's up to me to make her pretty again after every walk!

Only because of my personal grooming issues with the coat, if I were to choose a purebred Collie in the future, I would go with the Smooth Collie, since temperamentally they are about the same.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 8:24am PST 
Natasha you just keep getting prettier.

Not sure the OP is coming back though
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 8:10pm PST 
I'm coming back, =). I've just been busy.

I know the dogs I listed aren't right for me, I just brought them up to give you an idea of the 'look' I like in dogs.

I do really like the idea of a rough coated collie.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 9:35am PST 
Why not another german shepherd?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2