GO!

Tell me about...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 10:47am PST 
Teddy and Tiller, I am so enjoying what you have to say on this subject. Teddy especially. Teddy and Sophie could be the same pooch. Absolutely connected to me by her choice. Even something as simple as running errands in the car. We stop at laundry, hubby gets out to pick up shirts. Sophie sits in backseat calmly looking around. Next stop I get out of the car briefly to put letters in post box and hubby stays in the car...

...Sophie is already pacing and flinging herself against the dashboard and windshield howling, whining, scratching at the doors...

...I open the car door and sit down again, Sophie gives a big yawn and licks my hand and sits down in the backseat calmly looking around, no worries.
Hubby often says if she was in front of my open grave, she would absolutely jump in on her own. Like Teddy, kind of a canine siamese twin
laugh out loud
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:29am PST 
One other thing....meant to comment it before. In terms of your family being rowdy, my house is the same way and it does restrict the sorts of breeds I will consider. I've always wanted a Collie, but I don't think it would be a good match just because we're sort of loud and chaotic here. Imagine looking for your keys and acting like the sky is falling with dramatic holler...."get outta my way.....I've gotta find my *expletive* keys!" big laugh I need dogs who find that humorous.

Pit Bulls are wonderful with that sort of stuff. The only thing that would bother them is to be yelled AT, as they are so sweet and willing to please you, I know some who would sulk and have hurt feelings. But, as stated with the shelter dogs, they are far from environmentally responsive or peace freaks. I know when we picked Ghost up from transport, Dogster Lucille tied him in the back of her car and, being a Pit Bull, he broke out of that in no time, climb to the front of her wagon and sat on her lap laugh out loud And he's a big boy! As long as there is a warm body to love, they really don't care. Not very prone to SA, I am sure there are some but I've yet to meet one with a thunder phobia, etc. When dog friendly, they tend to be one of those dogs who takes the most advantage of doggie daycare. I know with Teddy, his mom travels at times and leaves him with a doggie sitter, and he loves that and thinks it's great. They just go with whatever the flow is. Perfect for your sort of family.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:03pm PST 
And yes on the choice thing. IMO that is one of the huge points to Pit adoption. There are so many, if "x" is the month you decide to get a dog, you can have a pretty specific list and find that exact dog. It's one of the sadder things, but also one of the benefits.

Basic rules are, take an adult. They not only need you more, but you need a Pit to get past two to really see where they are at DA and energy wise. Have your heart strings enough under control to not cave on a shy or cowering Pit...just the dog you describing, not a care in the world. Correct PB temperament is that, so draw that hardline. I particularly recommend whites, and particularly caution against blues, who seem to have some bad genetics. Set your bar high, and you will be very happy.

This breed has an epidemic of adult surrenders, some of which show perfectly good signs....they know commands, walk well on the leash. Ghost is like that. I am not saying he's an ace heeler, but he's built like a rhino but is not a puller. Sits nicely. Listens to you as if you have something to say (commands, etc.), knows how to give his paw. Someone trained him and raised him well, save for his greeting skills, where you are a pin to his bowling ball. We're working on that, but ignoring behavior doesn't work with him and he's convinced that the way to impress his love upon you after your absence is to give slams o' love wink
[notify]

Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:11pm PST 
Ha! Teddy and Sophie do sound like twins. I joke that he would crawl into my skin if I let him. This is a dog who pretty much has to be touching me at all times. I've experienced the same thing when leaving him, for even a second. I remember when I moved cross-country, my father helped us, and although Teddy loves him, he would shut down if I left for even a second to go to the rest stop bathroom. I tried handing over my leash to my dad and he figured he would walk him a little and let him potty. No dice. Teddy planted his butt, stared intently at the rest stop entrance, and panted profusely until I came back. Also, Dylan probbably remembers, but when we visited them on this same road-trip, I tried to leave Teddy in their yard with their other dog while we ate lunch maybe 10 feet away. Literally, Teddy could see us and almost touch us, but he was hysterical. He started to try to open the gate to get to me. The thought of being more than a few feet away was just horrific to him. That being said, he doesn't really show any signs of SA when I leave him at home. But man, the greetings I get when I get back....to love Teddy is to risk getting head-butted smile

Teddy does really well with our dogsitter, but he's been going there for about 3 years now and is comfortable with her. He looooves the sitter and has met very many canine (and even a few feline) friends there. He is apparently always the "ringleader" of the fun and the center of all the action, which doesn't surprise me. It's been a godsend with my lifestyle that Teddy is so adaptable, and I think that would generally be true of most pitties. They are happy to be alive, near people, and being loved on, so they can pretty much go anywhere. I know people who have had a very difficult time relocating/moving with their dogs, but Teddy took it all much easier than I did. He was ok as long as I was there.

Ophelia, does Sophie whine for attention? Teddy rarely if ever barks, but when he wants me to love on him more than I currently am, he will sit his head in my lap, stare up at me, and whine like a banchee!!!
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:31pm PST 
ummm, teddy didnt try and open the gate, he did open it.

even the "wading pool" aka my koi pond wasnt good enough to keep him in the yard
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:34pm PST 
tiller, one more reason of proof a pittie wouldnt be for me...I have a collie. and a sheltie. besides dylan big laughbig laugh
[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 1:11pm PST 
Thats right big laughbig laugh

He did open your gate to get at me, because I was a whole 10 feet away at the picnic table. And yes, he did enjoy take a refreshing dip in your koi pond...hope the fishies aren't too traumatized laugh out loudshock
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 2:00pm PST 
The thunder phobia and fear issues depend on the dog, there is a window in our bedroom that makes Sophie tremble. One night there was a storm and thunder rumbled on that side of the house and lightning crackled at the moment my husband touched the window to close it.
In her doggie brain that means if anyone touches that window there will be thunder and lightning. Storms send her off to the spare bathroom to quiver in the dark. vacums too.
Callie on the other hand doesn't notice even the loudest storm and marches right up to the vacum to make sure it doesn't do anything funny. Same breed but way different peronalities.smile
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 10:25pm PST 
"because we're sort of loud and chaotic here. Imagine looking for your keys and acting like the sky is falling with dramatic holler...."get outta my way.....I've gotta find my *expletive* keys!" I need dogs who find that humorous. "

So well said! That perfectly describes everyone in my house laugh out loud Our dog Crash isn't really sensitive, he just gets this look on his face that if he was a human he'd be rolling his eyes at us lol. But Lenny tends to find it somewhat troublesome sometimes depending on the situation, of course with some reassurance he's fine or he'll just relocate himself to one of his many comfy spots kind of out of the way till the house settles again.

And I'm glad you mentioned the two year age being the starting line for an adult. My one friend told me a year would still be an adult, but I know dogs take a little longer than just that year mark to mature. Maybe they're physically an adult at that point (which may not even be true for larger breeds) but mentally and emotionally they're not quite done maturing. Interesting thing about whites versus blues, but I've heard a lot (not sure whether it's all accurate or not) about blue pits and the fact that many have screwy genetics. Glad to have that confirmed by someone I know I can trust information from.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 12:01pm PST 
I think dogs and cats kind of adjust to whatever level of rowdy you've got. My son and daughter get into "scream-em-ups",the dogs just dance around them until somebody ends it. Another thing that came to mind about family and friends being biased about your choice in dawg...after having Sophie for several years I remember my Dad asking me in all sincerity "Really now, do you really feel safe having that dog around Em? How long before that dog is going to really hurt her?"...Em is 11 years old and if I'm not home Sophie shadows Em, even happily napping with her...and my father really dislikes all dogs so I can't expect him to understand...nevermind his calling my attention to any local news that begins with " Pitbull Unleashes Terror in..." You can't enlighten everyoneshrug

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 12:03pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5