GO!

Tell me about...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:26am PST 
Lenny - I just wanted to say...a pittie for a therapy dog would be AWESOME! What a great way to be an ambassador for the breed as well. cloud 9
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:52am PST 
Sonja, I've only seen a handful in person but they really struck me. They have such muscular bodies and they have such a powerful looking head... but they just have that big ol' grin on their face and they just bring so much energy into the room. And of course I'm sure the pups got plenty of exercise before hand... but they were so gentle (which again looked impossible for their muscle tone). I mean I'm always in awe of therapy dogs regardless of breed... just lovely dogs and a wonderful gesture. But when you see breeds you don't always expect... it's just really cool. And it would be awesome to be an ambassador for the breed if it worked out that way.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 1:15pm PST 
What I meant by stubborn is almost in a humorus way with Sophie. We will be walking and she knows what streets lead to where. If I try to walk past the favorite streets-that lead to the parks-she will freeze...in a way that will not be redirected...or pulled...or cajoled...or commanded...just "%#&* no, I will not be moved I want to go this way", so I will gently scoop up 60lbs of stubborn moose and haul her a block, if she still refuses to walk, another block, until she realizes we are going MY way.

I guess what I mean by the right mindset is deciding from day one that you feed them and love them and they will ultimately listen to you. You never ever want to use physical punishment with a dog who can in theory bite through sheet metal...but you also can't fear them, with any dog even a strange dog...if in the back of your mind you fear them even a tiny bit, they know that and can capitalize on it if they choose.

So you want a happy balanced mindset, not overly controlling and not milque toast, and allowing a bully to be a lapdog is a matter of personal comfort but if you can take the weight...there is nothing like a smiling bully snoozing safely in your arms, well the snoring and tooting take some getting used to, but they can be perfect lovers little angellittle angel
[notify]

Lenny

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 2:38pm PST 
I would never give physical punishment with any dog, regardless of breed. I do use body blocking sometimes, but obviously that's a little different. I can handle some stubbornness on walks, anyone want to chime in on pit bulls as off leash dogs? I know it does have a lot to do with training (and I'm willing to do that piece of it) but I know a dog's breed and traits has play in that as well. For example I don't think anyone has their greyhound following them around off leash (or maybe some but not a majority, ya know?) An off leash dog isn't something I'm making a make or break kind of thing but it would be nice.
[notify]
Oliver

Gotta love me !

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 2:58pm PST 
Great dogs, I would get another one in a heartbeat. Oliver is sweet and mild manner and loves everyone and everything. If exercised enough, they will make a great dog.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 7:32pm PST 
If you look on exclusively pit bull sites they are rabid that ANY dog with even the smallest molecule of bully breed can never be off leash in public ever. With BSL paranoia and the potential for problems, there is a very good reason for that line of thinking. However, my personal experience is that it can depend on the dog, the owner, the enviroment you're walking in, so many variables. Soph is beautiful off leash except chasing the odd deer, but still perfect recall. I would never let her off leash in an area with cars, recall vs. squirrels and she forgets herself sometimes.
Callie on the other hand...right now I can never feature him off leash. He has excellent recall in the house and yard, but he's also shown some scary sounding fear aggression with strangers. Sophie sees people and is okay with being petted but pretty much shys away from people and noise. Well, except when they have picnics at the reserve we walk in. If there's BBQ involved she'll walk up to humans and be their new best buddy!laugh out loud
[notify]
Lenny

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:18pm PST 
Oliver, how much exercise a day? About an hour? I'm interested to hear, of course I know it can vary dog to dog and mental stimulation comes into play as well.

And it would definitely be in limited areas, not many places around where I live where there aren't leash laws in place (which I'm happy to follow regardless) but it would be nice the few places where it would be a possibility if it was something I could consider (keeping in mind the individual dog and the environment). But again, not a huge deal.
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:04am PST 
We have a few pitties here that go to the dog park regularly. Clowns and favorite play-mates to every dog that happens to be there...even my 2 little ones.

Their (the pitties) people have done a great job at socialization....and/or they just have great temperaments. But then again, Sumo has an uncanny way of making ANY dog fall in love with him. laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 8:04am PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 11:34am PST 
Stubborn also in that they know what you want them to do but they try to do it their way lol. I don't allow Angel off leash ever anymore & my roomies dog is perfect recall except when there are raccoons.

Respect, not fear, is key. Angel & Becca get 1-2 hours of hard exercising/playtime but will also play in the yard periodically.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 11:43am PST 
Basically an hour a day walking with extra playtime in the yard or park n' you have a happy poochway to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5