GO!

Multiples of the same breed

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Mayhem

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:53am PST 
I have an almost 2 year old Golden and am thinking of getting a younger half sibling of hers this summer. What are the pros and cons of getting more than one of the same breed or siblings? Are there any special concerns that I should have? I figured they would be compatible in size, temperament and they will likely enjoy all the same things (like going in the water). Are there any reasons NOT to get 2 of the same? Thanks in advance!

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 6:56am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:24pm PST 
I have two GSDs, both male, who's breedings are very close (Mulder's grand-sire is Ridley's sire).

I think in this case, it comes down to breed somewhat, but largely to the individual dogs involved. First of course you will need to be working with a breed you know at least has a shot at being compatible with others of the same sex- which of course for breeds like Goldens, isn't too much of a mountain to climb.

From there is just ensuring the temperaments are compatible for the individuals. When getting Ridley, I was very clear to his breeder that I needed a combo that would work. I COULDN'T have two Mulders, as surely there would be problems with two very strong minded male dogs living so closely, regardless of breed. So I needed something a little softer, with a little less intensity. Fortunately Ridley's breeder is very savvy, and I got just what I asked for in that regard.

As to how companionable they are, Mulder has grown more accepting of Ridley as time has passed, but I can't really consider them "buddies". They coexist beautifully, and Rildey adores Mulder... and that works out well enough for me, as I did not get Ridley to be a companion to Mulder, only myself. So long as they tolerate each other, I am happy.

Being of very close breeding means little in their case, as they are VASTLY different dogs. They do have similarities, as both are high drive dogs who are fabulous, tireless workers. But Mulder is the more stoic one, doesn't really enjoy romping and playing in the same way Ridley does, is much more settled and confident with a very high degree of nerve. Ridley is excitable and loud, constantly goofing off and is ultra sensitive, with lower nerve and confidence (some of this can also be linked to his age, as he is still very young). Mulder doesn't mind throwing his weight around, can be very pushy and a bit of an @$$ at times, while Ridley is EXTREMELY non-confrontational and is far more biddable in a general sense.

So long story short, make your selection with compatibility in mind, and be open to the possibility that despite the similar genetics, you will potentially be dealing with two very different dogs!
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 9:03am PST 
I don't know about Goldens, but it seems like husky owners have a hard time stopping at just one laugh out loud
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 10:54am PST 
I don't see too many issues cropping up with Goldens. Dr. Watson might be able to chime in though!

That said, I've had multiple Rottweilers in the same household - same sex too, and no issues before. Intact female, altered female, and a male. The females got along wonderfully with one another and only had an incident once when one of them went into the room of the other and near her food. Otherwise, no other incidents to really name.

I've also had multiple Beagles in my house before too. Charlie is intact, but I've had altered males with him without issue. I've even had food aggressive and fear aggressive Beagles in my home without issue. Luckily, Charlie is fairly laid back with dogs with attitude and actually HELPED to rehab some of them.

I think the biggest thing you'll want to look for is temperament compatibility. If I got another Beagle with a temperament too similar to Charlie's, they wouldn't have meshed as well - much like Mulder and Ridley. Mulder's mom explained it wonderfully though.

That said, Charlie could come with me to help me socialize dog aggressive or undersocialized dogs and he could take the attitude and shrug it right off his shoulders. He's got amazing canine social skills, so it really helps a lot with that and I can read Charlie better than a book, so I can tell when another dog, Beagle or not, makes him uncomfortable.

Think about the type of personality Mayhem likes in playmates if she has any. Does she like rambunctious and playful, or does she prefer a dog that gives her her space and lets her do her own thing on her own time? Things like that can really help you figure out a type of temperament that may mesh better with Mayhem too.

That said, I've never really known too many Golden or Lab owners that have owned multiples and had issues.
[notify]
Mayhem

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 9:24am PST 
Thanks for the insight. I am planning on getting a male pup so that should only make things easier. Mayhem gets along well with dogs of all temperaments but I think a pup similar to her would make her the happiest. She is middle of the road when it comes to dominance. She's gentle with submissive dogs and respectful (but confident) with dominate ones. She is a BALL of ENERGY though and I think would do best with a pup she can romp and wrestle with. I think any dog too laid back she will annoy. She was best friends with my senior Doberman who passed away a few months ago. Despite his age he was very playful. Mayhem is pretty typical of a young golden and is a bit immature yet so I think she'll really do well with a new energetic pup.

Edited by author Sat Jan 26, '13 9:26am PST

[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 3:59pm PST 
I think a baby boy Golden would be perfect for you. My Duffy (Golden mix) is 16 months younger than Selli and he worships her. However Duffy has bad joints so he doesn't play much with his sister. The Duge (our 7 month old Golden boy) and Selli LOVE to play. Your girl will probably let a puppy get away with murder though smile
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 6:18pm PST 
From what I understand getting the opposite gender and something of an age difference is helpful. Maybe that depends on the dog and the breed. Sophie is considered an AmStaff and about 4 years old. Callie an American Bulldog and is about a year old. They're both considered bullies and have perfectly matched play styles, but perhaps because of the age difference Callie is quite submissive to Sophie. With any dogs you need to remember you're going to double whatever positives and negatives of the breed you choose. In our case it's two velcro mooses to lay on you but the downside is two energetic mooses charging through the house in play...walls shakinglaugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 6:24pm PST 
I might add that a wonderful advantage to finding a great playmate for your pup is the companionship and exercise they share. Soph used to be fairly lazy, with Callie now she gets a full workout throughout the daysmile
[notify]
Lance- (1995-2009)

Faithful- Guardian

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 1:39am PST 
I had a male/female Golden pairing that worked beautifully, but the male was so laid back he probably would have gotten along with just about any dog. As others have said, temperament of the individual dogs is the most important thing to take into consideration, but with a breed like Goldens, it shouldn't be too hard to make a good match.
[notify]
Mayhem

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 6:50am PST 
Thanks everyone! I'll make sure the breeder knows exactly what I'm looking for so my pups are a good match. Like I said, Mayhem I think is pretty typical of the breed and I think a pup with a similar temperament would be the best so I'm really just looking for a typical male pup within the litter. I have first pick of the males already so I know the breeder will choose the best one for me. That is, counting on that there will be males in the litter! Mayhem came from a litter of only 2 and was the only female. shock
[notify]