GO!

Swedish Vallhund and Lundehund

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 3:08pm PST 
Please, tell me about them! laugh out loud

Are either good little sport dogs? And if only in certain sports - which ones? Other than herding, that is, as I'm familiar with the Vallhund being a herding dog.

What are their overall temperaments like? Longevity? Health issues? Rarity? Exercise requirements? Ability to tolerate children(if known)?

I saw a Lundehund who came into my pet shop today, and I had to ask what she was, because I thought she was just another mix breed and BOY was she CUTE! And such a sweetie too. A little aloof, but very tolerant and relaxed.
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 11:25am PST 
I know some people around here use lundehunds for agility and obedience, and do well. They're lovely dogs, but primitive - supposedly difficult to house train, and they bark. My neighbours have one, and if I walk past their house with my dog, he lets the world know.
They SAY the lundehund is quite healthy, but afaik, they're quite inbred after a WWII bottleneck. I've been looking at them for my next breed, but have decided not to because of their health.
They're sweet and silly and bouncy, in my opinion.

Rarity, for both breeds, will depend on where in the world you live.

Edited by author Fri Jan 25, '13 11:32am PST

[notify]