GO!

Expected Size?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:26am PST 
He is cute!!

I would guess aussie mix as there is a lot of that going on around here. But have not heard of aussies on the reserves. 2 years ago it was a lot of shepard mixes with husky from the reserves.

I think you will have a learning/adjusting curve with Jewel regardless of size. But you sound all prepared for that! Maci went a month of being a witch with Harley (who was the calmest puppy with the best natural instincts I ever seen) before she realized that she was going to have to 'share'. She even tried the 'being depressed, ignore mom' stage trying to get me to give in and take the unwanted thing back...made me realized baby girl was very spoiled smile
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:31am PST 
What a cute pup. He looks a LOT like Samoa when I got him at 4 months. And about the weight as well. Samoa is probably an Aussie/Golden mix and now weighs about 80 lbs. He is pretty lean. I have managed not to let him get chubby!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:53am PST 
I'm not sure if we're getting Aussie on the Rez or if the mixing of breeds is just resulting in a dog that looks like an Aussie mix type dog. My foster Jettsen also looks like an aussie mix. It is common to find a med-size dog on the Rez as a large dog has too much trouble finding enough food, a small dog is food and the double coated dogs would also be surviving better than single or short coated dogs. And the book I'm reading "Dogs with No Names" says light colours are less common on the Rez.
[notify]

Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:59am PST 
Well, our boy had been tagged as a Berner or Newfie...thank goodness he is not that large, or I'd have him and Savannah both taking up all the floor space. And others have thought BC or Flat Coated or some other such mix.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:20am PST 
He is adorable! I do think he may be a Berner mix (although not as a Rez dog). His markings, like how only his toes are white, the length of the tan sock, and the cross on his chest looks more Berner to me than an Aussie type mix.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:32am PST 
Where's a berner person when you need them?? laugh out loud I have sent a request for help to Maggie/Bosley.

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 9:35am PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:33am PST 
It's absolutely an old farmers tale, but some people guesstimate by the size of their feet. Obviously that isn't so accurate-Sophie has delicate tootsies and is 60lbs+, Callie has moose sized feet but is about 50 eventhinking
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 1:35pm PST 
He looks identical to my ex landlord's dog. Lola, who is a purebred(albeit, I believe a poorly bred one) Bernese. She's small for a Berner as well, and has the blue eyes that aren't acceptable in the show ring. Looks like a total little clown, but such an incredible sweetheart. Only difference is Lola had more white on her face.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 4:14pm PST 
There seems to be a real trend in rescue to call any tri-color dog a Berner-mix. Most of of Berner mixes I see are black with white markings - very few have the traditional tri coloring.
A 5 month old Berner is going to be about 50 pounds - give or take. When I look at this pup, I do not see the bone, head shape or ear set of a Berner. If this was a Rez dog, I would say it is highly unlikely that there is Berner in this dog. The area where you are has very few Berners - only a couple small time BYBs in your entire province so the likely hood that there is a Berner reserve dog is small.
The ear set of this pup makes me think that there is a prick eared dog in his heritage and the longer muzzle reminds me a bit of a sheltie (although a bit large for a sheltie). He is a cute pup though - maybe some BC in him?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 7:54am PST 
Thank you Bosley!!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3