GO!

service dog of protective breed - what gsd line? or other breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:16am PST 
First of all I would like to say I am looking for a protection breed only. Yes I know labs, goldens, and poodles are the best - I am well informed about service dogs. But Im only interested in protective breeds for numerous reasons - many of which pertain to my disorders =)

I am interested in a GSD and I have some questions about the lines that would make the best dog for me. I am working with an experianced trainer - but Im trying to gain as much knowledge about the breed from as many sources as possible.

I would also love other breed recomendations - esspecially if you have or know of a service dog that is of the breed =)

I think it's best if I describe the qualities I would like:
- has energy, but can differenciate play time vs. work time vs. relaxing time
- enthusiastic about life
- very affection driven, loves cuddles and being petted
- extreamly loyal, but who will be tolerant of strangers
- low agression, has to be dependable in all public situations
- more of a velcro dog vs. being independant
- can handle my emotional needs (wont panic when i have an anxiety attacks and such - will calmly perform the tasks taught of him)
- very trainable

I am going to be looking at rescues as well as breeder dogs - sujestions of breeders in ontario would also be very helpful. Ideally I want a dog between 6 and 18 months but may look at puppies too. Im hoping to have a male dog as I get along with males better altogether, who is between 24" and 30" and obviously extensivly health tested (or his parents have been).

Thank you very much for any help, I really apreciate it and look forward to replies =)
[notify]
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:04am PST 
There is certainly no shortage of GSD breeders here in Ontario and, as with most breeds, most are mediocre at best. Needless to say, with a service dog (and especially one which would be protective), you'll have to be extremely careful.

I'm a bit surprised that your trainer has not been able to point you in the right direction? There are a number of other breeds which could suit your needs quite nicely; of these, choice of breeder would be far more important than choice of breed.

From everything you've described, there is one particular local breeder which does spring to mind as being worth taking a close look. Aside from the potential suitability of the breed itself (not a GSD), the breeder has specific and personal experience in this area.

If you're interested, feel free to PM me for the info.

In any event, best of luck in your search!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:44am PST 
BRT - its not letting me msg you for whatever reason.

Thankyou for your reply - im very interested to know the breeder youre talking about.
[notify]

BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:09am PST 
My apologies, but unless a particular breeder has already been brought up by somebody else prior, I make it a personal practice not to mention specific breeders' names on an open forum.

I'm not sure why the PM isn't working ... perhaps it's because you're not fully registered here, and aren't allowed to use that feature? I'll have to leave it with you to figure that one out.

EDIT: Apparently, it states that:
"Only members with a posted pet and messaging turned on can message other members."

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 7:24am PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:56am PST 
Does it have to be in Ontario/Canada?

Fidelco is located in Connecticut. You could get in touch with them and see if you can't work with one of their washouts (Fidelco is exclusively guide dog work, so a "washout" there certainly doesn't exclude the dog from work in other services).

That would probably be my first choice for a slightly older dog. Their fostering program is fantastic and they KNOW those dogs. A very safe bet with them (IF you can manage to get one).
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:22am PST 
I responded in the GSD forum and suggested that if you are willing to look further away you ought to check out Bullinger in BC.She has placed at least a few service dogs although she breeds primarily working dogs and her line is solid and proven. I haven't any dealings with breeders in ON personally but as BRT mentioned from all reports most are mediocre at best. I also know that there are several breed specific rescues-most of the GSD rescues in Canada are located in ON-and several of them also do courtesy listings. I do believe that dogster Tiller knows or knows of a breeder in ON though, hopefully she will chime in.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 7:55am PST 
Thanks for all the help,
I have contacted bullinger about what she has available - very happy to hear she has young show dogs available :3 thanks for reccomending her!
I will also keep fidelco in mind - no it doesnt have to be in ontario, if i find the right dog ill go anywhere to get him - just helps my bank account being closer to home ;3
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 3:21pm PST 
Even if you decide on a different breeder her dogs are nice to look at. I do know she likes to stay in touch with all her dogs and is a great source of info. If none of her dogs work for you she should be able to recommend someone. If I am not mistaken a couple of her dogs were placed with breeders in ON. Good luck.
[notify]