GO!

Lancashire Heelers?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:10pm PST 
Sort of playing off of Onyx's small dog thread.
Whilst looking into smaller herding breeds, I came across the Lancashire Heeler.

Now, personally, I'm not a "small dog" person. I like my dogs 18-25 inches tall, and of thin build (although beaucerons, a purebred kelpie, and dutch shepherds are high in my list right now). But I do love my herding breeds.

My SO on the other hand reminisces frequently of a previous small breed dog. So this breed was come across and he can agree that he like the "looks" of the breed.

Even after reading through breed registry pages, I feel as though I know next to nothing about the breed. I know it may be a long shot, but anyone have any experience?
If so, how do they compare to the kelpie and border collie?
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:22pm PST 
Sweet little dogs I got chatting to them at discover dogs. Very typical herding dogs very intelligent and use it to outsmart their humans, can be quite stubborn (well they do have terrier in them), but quite friendly to people. I've heard of DA issues in the breed though. Of course if you have children you need to stop them nipping at their heels to try and herd them.

They are a vulnerable native breed here so under 100 or so registered per year frown it a shame really. They're out of manchester terrier/corgi mixes although some people say they are more a resurrected breed than anything else and have little to do with the old lancashire heelers.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 5:24pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:28pm PST 
Is it a herder or a terrier? I'm not sure! laugh out loud Anything that can both heel and hunt vermin is bound to have a a huge personality, though!

Looking over them it sounds like they have nice personalities but I'm not sure how they would compare to kelpies or border collies. According to the standard they are affectionate to the owner which sounds similar to both, but there I think the similarity might end. They are probably more corgi like than anything. Cute little things, I hope you can find an owner to talk to.
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:53am PST 
The tenacity of them is what appeals to me.
I love the personalities in the most of the herding breeds I've encountered.

Energy, drive, and a bit of a challenge in there.
I think it'd be absolutely great to see one of these little guys in action herding if they're still apt to do so.

Sounds like a neat little breed if SO ever pressures for a smaller dog laugh out loud
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:00pm PST 
The only dog that has ever bitten me and latched on was a Lancie !

It was also at my SHOULDER.... he jumped up ! They do that well !

I didnt hold it against him, I still have the bite scar !

I am English.. this was in England.

They are every inch a Heeler and fearless.

Small dog that doesnt know it.. but I havent met a herder that thought it was anything other than BIG !!

Loyal.. hard workers.. and like any herder.. needs a job.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 12:03pm PST

[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:23am PST 
That it has 'heeler' in the name already has me thinking 'Oh dear'. laugh out loud
[notify]