GO!

Small breed suggestions

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:50pm PST 
He's an Am, but he's half red, like Ches. He's bigger and more lanky, though. Reds are the dogs the hunters mostly stuck with. The show people like their buffs towards the lighter side of color. If you look a Ches' pics, he's not clipped....just down the front of his neck to his breastbone. Rusty, I believe too (don't think his mom's clips his body?)....is def half red also. Reds lack that plusher coat, and the more extreme head you see on Am Cockers, that softens to less extremes if you aren't breeding for it in immediate generations.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 4:10pm PST 
Ah ok, thanks Tiller. I was going to say, it's definitely the lack of the extreme head that had me questioning whether he was an American Cocker or not. I can see that Chester is an American more in his pics, especially the last one, but Rusty i couldn't quite tell exactly.

Here is a golden English Cocker who doesn't look to dissimilar to Rusty, although on closer inspection i can see the differences now.

Working English Cocker
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:25pm PST 
What Tiller is tactfully trying to say is that Rusty is probably not bred along champion lines. laugh out loud I get debates from people all the time that he is not a purebred. Why? He has a tail, he's not fat, and his nose is longer than a standard Cocker's. wink I've seen English Cockers, talked with their handlers, and let go of that pipe dream, as well. While not the best example of the breed in looks (to some-not me), he has all the personality traits, which is enough.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 5:25pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:12pm PST 
He's purebred! Don't listen to any of those people! Cockers particularly when not show bred close up, tend to level. I admit.....don't exactly think this is a newsflash laugh out loud.....I do like some extremes wink But my husband LOVES the less moderate look, and even I myself don't mind it. I've seen more than enough pics of Rusty. He's purebred. I don't *need* to tactful wink....he's a stunning dog!
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:17pm PST 
Thank you, Tiller, for defending his breed credibility!

Onyx, I fear we've strayed from your original topic. If you have an interest in Cockers, American or English, there seems to be a lot of them in shelters & rescue in Southern CA of late. If you'd like, I can send you links to those sites and/or rescues.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 4:37pm PST 
They are beautiful dogs. Haven't really interacted with any, so I don't have a real feel for them. Somehow I get the feeling that they aren't really my type, but I couldn't say why thinking
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:12pm PST 
No, I don't think they are your type. Not yet anyway. Sorry for the Cocker fork....I try my best not to talk about them too much as I have admitted bias. But that didn't exist until after I got my first. If you ever feel your dogs are too much of a drag or too serious.....and you may get there one day....that's when you think of a Cocker. Maybe you get there one day. I did. Just wanted something "lighter" in spirit. And they are that....free spirited, entertaining and uniquely individual. That was in my term where I'd been hitting myself over the head with an oar for years...Czech GSD (ultra serious), a Doberman female who bonded to my husband with no cause, a Dachshund and then a Giant who I was hyper vigilant about raising. I needed some levity. And I got more than I bargained for. Hard to keep away from them now. My dog cohorts are bemused. wink

For you, I like a Sheltie.

For now. Maybe in twenty years, you'll be more in the frame for something like a Cocker.

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 9:37pm PST

[notify]
Qaisuke Leung

She's like a- Large Long Low- Chihuahua.

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:54pm PST 
I have a corgi-chihuahua mix who is everything that you mentioned. Those breeds tend to be "barkers" but she was cleared "not a barker" when I got her from a rescue and she is the quietest mellowest dog on the planet and yet outdoors she is FIRE. an all around lover of nature and the outdoors though her coat is not that weather hardy. she has perfect recall, walks perfectly on the leash, was always naturally good like that.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:58am PST 
Onyx my OB dog was a Sheltie, he also introduced me to agility and flyball. There was nothing he couldn't learn, I had to keep finding new stuff. Tough yes, but so sweet. He was a bit big but an absolute gentleman. Never beefed with other dogs, loved to socialize. He had the shorter, lighter coat and grooming was not much more the a GSD, if that. He was a great house dog but always up for following my horse, or a hike in the mountains.
Fair warning though, I tried 3 other ones after he was stolen and ended up returning each one. I was not a fan of that shy, quiet personality. May have been just the lines but definitely something to be aware of, as all 3 came from different breeders.
Also worth noting, he didn't bark much after I neutered him. shrug
[notify]
Grace

Daddys- Princess

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 3:09pm PST 
thinking never heard of a quiet sheltie
shy yes. but quiet???? hummmmm

the very first sheltie I had I took out of a bad home. he was never beaten, but the humans fought, I mean like threw lamps at each other type fought. he was about a year old.
when my husband moved in with me, it took him 3 months to gain the trust of that dog. he would get up to go to the bathroom and apollo ran behind the couch.

how they are raised and bred should be a major concern, but given a good healthy start, they can be excelent and all most anything you would want them to do
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6