GO!

Small breed suggestions

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 6:01pm PST 
Shelties are not fighters, they will avoid troublesome dogs whenever possible. However they are territorial, they were created to keep the unpenned sheep away from the cottages and cottage gardens of the Shetland Islanders. Therefore they will protect their territory from what they feel are intruders, typically by barking, but they will go further. As I said before, they are bossy and can be bossy with dogs that are in their territory.

However, they LOVE and are completely devoted to their family including their animal family; dogs, cats, rabbits, whatever. They will do what they have to to protect their family. Male Shelties are especially gallant with female dogs, they are known for it.

The Shelties I know are mainly show/performance lines, so I don't know temperament differences, but I would think breeders who are successfully doing things with their dogs, showing, agility, or obedience need to breed dogs that have more steady and confident temperaments.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:44pm PST 
Shelties are a breed where you can find some duality. Although pretty and showy, in my experience people are often drawn to the breed first for their intelligence and trainability, so there's often lots of dual titled dogs, and some who seem to focus on performance titles in the primary, conformation in the secondary. BUT(!), I have seen well-bred and not well-bred. You don't want to mess around....be sure your selection focuses on the temperament, which can be quite sound or too sharp/shy.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:11pm PST 
Rat Terriers aren't a recognized breed here in Canada, but they are recognized in the USA. There was one in Farley's beginner agility classes that I was enamored with. He was standard size- looked to be about 20-25 lbs, and maybe 16"-18" at the withers or so. He was really an amazing dog. VERY athletic, sharp as a tack, and totally a velcro dog who only had eyes for his handler. I don't think there was a moment when he wasn't making eye contact with his handler, and very willingly at that. He was very toy-driven too, would do backflips just to get his tug or ball reward.

I don't consider myself particularly a fan of small breeds, but I would seriously consider a standard rat terrier if I were looking for an athletic smaller dog some day. Prey drive might be a bit higher than you're looking for, but otherwise they could be a good fit. beautiful dogs, too.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 8:13pm PST

[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:30pm PST 
I had been toying with the idea of showing a future dog, depending on breed, in addition to sports. So a breed that could excel at both would be really nice.

Been browsing some breeder's websites (just looking, I swear!), and some of the dogs are truly stunning cloud 9 If anyone had any breeders they wanted to recommend, I do enjoy window shopping wink

Farley, Rat Terriers are so cute, and they do look very athletic. From what I'm reading, they're a little easier to train than the average terrier too.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:37am PST 
My first thought was a Boston. Never met a Boston that wasn't good off leash. They've all loved fetch to the point of obsession. Happy to get up and go.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:34pm PST 
Of course, you know I will recommend a Cocker! laugh out loud Rusty is taller than most and with a full tail. They were originally bred to be hunting dogs. Last Fall, I got the compliment from another park member that they had never seen an athletic Cocker. He is. He runs fast, loves exploring, climbs rocks like a billy goat, swims, and wrestles with all types of dogs. They're also very goofy clowns, which is a plus in my book.

The grooming doesn't have to be daunting. For his lifestyle, I keep Rusty in a short Cocker clip, which means daily brushing to keep matts out and very doable.

Their ears can be an ongoing battle, but again, it is doable. His are now infection free & I keep an eye on that. Whether you get a rescue or a breeder one, I would recommend bringing Onyx with you to make sure they're compatible. (well, I'd suggest that with ANY breed you choose. big grinD )

Shelties are great dogs, too, but you do have to live with barking.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:48pm PST 
Well, I obviously need to join CA, aka Cockers Anonymous! laugh out loud big laugh Next dog I get, it will be internal battle for it not to be an Am Cocker. First dog I've ever had two of simultaneously. That's against my rules, lol! When my GSD passed, it was about getting another German dog, but I couldn't resist the fever wink

Cockers are totally different to live with than to meet or hang with. They are my drug. They make me laugh and keep me more light hearted. They are a bohemian breed....very individual, IMO and experiences. Their quirk factor is HUGE. Both of mine have their own rendition of peculiar, are just striking as individuals, and how they entertain the crap out of me....I can't put a price on that.

They don't compare/contrast to Shelties. They are masters at seduction, easily spoilable, sort of stubborn. Not very biddable. Although, get in their head the right way and they will lay themselves down for you. They have SO MUCH heart! As much as any silly ol' German dog. Their intelligence is grossly underrated. Chester is the most intelligent dog I have owned, and that comes from some pretty elite company.

They took me by surprise. My husband is the same way. He loves the German dogs, but Cockers are just a joybox for him as well.

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 12:50pm PST

[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 1:14pm PST 
laugh out loud I knew you'd have to back me on this, Tiller! Here's a typical day at the lake. You can compare his size to a Belgian and a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Day at the Lake

Most Cockers are shorter.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:06pm PST 
Ah, the pic....so regal! cloud 9

I am a Cocker sl*t. They aren't my type of dog, and somehow that doesn't matter shrug
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:04pm PST 
I can never quite tell from Rusty's pics, but is he an American Cocker? To me he looks quite English working line, but i understand they're not as common place as the American over there.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6