GO!

Small breed suggestions

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:00am PST 
Now that you mention it, Gus does tell me off occasionally when I'm messing up or going too slow and she does supposedly have 25% sheltie! laugh out loud I guess I can blame it on that!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:20am PST 
Nothing entertains me more than dogs barking off at their handlers wink
[notify]
Grace

Daddys- Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:04pm PST 
shelties?? someone barking about shelties??
I am the 7th one my human has had. dont let the coat fool you, it is very easy to maintain. the fine hairs by the ears, as was already mentioned is the only really bad spot. we are surprisingly tough for our size. and come in a mulitude of colors.
we age fast, agile,turn on a dime. I love when the collie chases me and I make him crash into something. and I love taking naps with my peeps.

and we do love the sound of our own bark, and do it often.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:48pm PST 
I'll definitely have to add Shelties to the list of considerations then! I do agree with the idea that it's good to experience different types of dogs, Tiller. I have every intention of getting another GSD someday, but I would like to expand my horizons.

I need to get out and meet some Shelties. The bf's grandfather has one, and bf says she's a great dog, but of course that's only one example. Definitely a tough little dog though, poor thing was stepped on by a moose once!

Sounds like the grooming isn't too intensive. And I honestly wouldn't mind grooming a dog that enjoyed it as much as yours did, Sonja.

The bi-black coloration is gorgeous, Selli. Really like the sables too.

I do really enjoy dogs that talk. Onyx generally only babbles at me if I start the conversation, but it always cracks me up. Excessive barking would definitely get old, but I'm assuming early training will help with that. I'm okay with some barking (don't live in an apartment or anything), but I would prefer it not be constant.

I will look into the Cockers, Ty. Not sure if they're quite my type, but I've certainly had my mind changed before!

I will admit I'm a little hesitant when it comes to terriers. They've never quite seemed to gel with me.
[notify]
Grace

Daddys- Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 2:35pm PST 
shelties are a breed with 2 "types" the more show lines, the finer boned and silky hair. more working lines a little heavier and slightly shorted coated.

and please dont shave shelties! our hair is our pride!
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 3:34pm PST 
My Sheltie Baby was tri-colored...mostly black with white and tan markings. She was a looker. Our agility instructor's Shelties are blue merle. Beautiful!

Shelties tend to be more reserved with strangers...but bond wholeheartedly with their person. They are sensitive and very much in tune with their person's feelings. They learn quickly and are eager to please, attentive with speedy responses to commands...which is one of the reasons they are so good at all types of dog sports.

Ok you caught me oooing and aaahing over Shelties cloud 9
[notify]
Grace

Daddys- Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 3:46pm PST 
I have had a tri, and a bi-blue.
and all diffrent shade of sables
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 3:51pm PST 
Don't worry, I wouldn't want to shave off that gorgeous coat!

They do sound like a really good match for everything I'm looking for. Is there much difference in the temperament between the show and working lines?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 4:43pm PST 
Onyx, I have been professionally involved with dogs my entire adult life and I can honestly say I have NEVER, EVER heard of ANY sheltie fighting with another dog!! Wow, that is amazing and would be a definite plus to me!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:04pm PST 
That is a pretty shining endorsement, Toto! Definitely good to know and a huge plus.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 5:04pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6