GO!

Small breed suggestions

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 2:45pm PST 
I'm considering a smaller breed for my next dog (under or around 30 lbs), but I still want an active, outgoing dog I could do sports with.

I'm happiest with a biddable dog that's in-tuned to me and not too stubborn when it comes to obedience. I enjoy training, I'd like to do sports like agility with the dog, but I'm no master trainer so a dog that's eager to work with me and isn't a notoriously difficult to train breed would be a big plus.

Off lead reliability. This one is pretty make or break for me, as I do most of my dogs' exercise off lead. I like a dog that will naturally stick pretty close and keeps an eye on where I am.

I'm fine with lots of shedding, but I don't like grooming beyond brushing. I prefer shorter coats to long and flowing.

High energy is good. I want a dog that can keep up with my active German Shepherd. I do like an off switch though.

I prefer a dog with moderate prey drive. I want him to be eager to work for a ball, but not lose his mind at the sight of a rabbit on the trail, or be at risk to kill any cats he lives with. This is something I would address when choosing a breeder/pedigree as well of course.

I like a dog that tends to bond strongly to one person, and is fairly velcro with that person. I don't need a dog that's always trying to be in my lap, but I do like that follow you from room to room type. And along those same lines, I'm not a fan of the dog that's never met a stranger. Aloof with neutral strangers is my ideal.

I want a dog I can take everywhere. Part of the reason I'm looking into a smaller dog is for ease of travel, since I already have one large dog I take everywhere. So a dog that can easily adapt to any new situation and takes everything in stride is important. Socialization, of course, will be a big emphasis, just as it was and is with Onyx.

Really want to avoid breeds known for dog aggression and/or same sex aggression. I will most likely be getting a male, so it needs to be a breed in which two intact males can live together peacefully. They will be separated when I'm not home just to be safe, but obviously I don't want to have to constantly keep them apart.

I'm a big fan of herding breeds, and so far the breed I'm leaning most strongly toward is the Cardigan Welsh Corgi, so any information on them and how well they fit my criteria would be appreciated as well. I was also looking at the Schipperke, but I'm thinking they might be a bit on the stubborn side for me? Also not sure how they are off lead.

Not planning to get another dog anytime soon. I'll probably wait until Onyx is at least three, so at minimum it'd be a year and a half from now before I start seriously looking to add another.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:08pm PST 
I'm not sure how easy it is to find working line English Cocker Spaniels over there, but that's the breed that jumped out immediately to me. Lots of energy, very biddable, and generally mix well with other dogs. The only drawback you might find is that they tend to be pretty friendly to everyone...including strangers laugh out loud

I don't know anything about Corgi's much, but sounds like it might be a good fit too.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 3:09pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:11pm PST 
Coat/grooming issue notwithstanding, I'm still really thinking about Löwchens for myself. No plans for another dog anytime soon of course, and if I do it will probably be another large breed (I want my Doberman, dang it), but I'm really interested in these little dogs.

Of course I will mention Shelties too. You can keep them clipped shorter if the hair is too much.
[notify]

Buster

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:29pm PST 
They might be a bit too small but what about a papilion? Intelligent, biddable, can turn their paw to most sports one is or was one of the top mini agility dogs here for ages. Or the havanese a bit bigger and sturdier.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 3:30pm PST

[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:29pm PST 
Double post naughty

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 3:29pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:39pm PST 
get a chodsky wink
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 5:57pm PST 
What's small? Is just under 30 lbs optimum, or 15 lbs the ideal on up to 30 lbs tolerable? As in, would you love a lap dog, or that's not what this is.

Oh, and don't get a Dachshund laugh out loud big laugh
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 5:58pm PST 
get a chodsky

Please??
Who's going to the Czech Republic anytime soon, bring me one back too laugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 6:09pm PST 
The Chodský is definitely one I hadn't thought of! Might be a little larger than what I was thinking, but maybe one on the really small end. I don't know a whole a lot about them either. Pretty similar to the GSD, but smaller and a little softer temperament wise?

I don't really want anything tiny, probably not less than 15 lbs, so I guess I'd say anywhere from 15-30 lbs. Doesn't have to be a lap dog by any means.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:10am PST 
I've been super-intrigued by a Pumi recently. They'd fit your requirements minus the grooming (and even their grooming is simple, just slightly beyond brushing). The big issue with them is rarity. Herder talent with terrier pizazz.

My first instinct was a Pap but they're smaller than you want.

If you're not interested in dog aggression I'd be wary of Cardies. Maybe we just have a jerky cluster here but most of them are... unpleasant to others. I can think of two who are nice, stable creatures but the others just aren't.

Kerry Blues are prone to DA and grooming is involved.

Shelties actually fit your bill fairly well. It's not hard to find thinner coated dogs (usually bred for agility over breed ring) and they tick off every other box. They don't have the seriousness of a GSD (They're serious in their own way) but they seem like a good match except for the 'flowing coat' thing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6