GO!

Berger Blanc Suisse

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 7:50am PST 
Hey everyone. What do you guys know about the Berger Blanc Suisse? How are they different from white shepherds? I see pictures pop up sometimes of what (to me) looks just like coated white shepherds, and they're listed as Swiss shepherds, or White Swiss shepherds. When I googled it it just brought up the Berger Blanc Suisse. How are they different from whites? Is it an official breed?
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:10am PST 
Hi Miyu I just read something on this last night.
They aren't a different breed-- yet. White Shepherds are genetically white GSDs at the moment.
But they're aiming to separate the color (breed?) from the GSD and call themselves White Shepherds or Swiss Shepherds. As far as I know they are just looking to change the angle in the shoulder (from 90 to 107 degrees) and accept the tail being carried over their back. A lot of the breeders going along with this.. are outcrossing to Shepherds (even b/t ones!). So I'm not sure how they're going to do whatever they're aiming to do if they're keeping it essentially a white coated shepherd.

There is some people for it, some against it. I personally think it is silly.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:32am PST 
There is more to it than that Arkane. A lot of semantics & which governing body you're looking at. I don't have enough coffee in me yet to post a coherent reply, but I'll try & post something for you later, Myu. smile
Maybe Muldur will beat me to it....hint hintlaugh out loud
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:32am PST 
Arkane said it, they are genetically white GSDs, with temperament and conformation being most similar to the Am lines of the breed, a bit softer on average.

Personally I think its a miserable idea to separate. Whites are already pretty genetically tight... by shutting off the VAST amount of blood they have available to them in the breed, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Its a pride move, on both ends. What they NEED to be fighting for, is popper recognition from the various KCs.

ETA- Haha, perhaps you wont like my answer much then Squem! laugh out loud

But to clarify, the major difference between whites and colored dogs of this breed is politics. SOME temperament differences, again they tend to be softer and on average a little lacking in overall nerve, but nothing you wont see in plenty of American showlines anyway.

Whites were split largely because they are white, which at the time there was a notion that it linked them to health concerns like it does in other breeds such as Boxers... which simply isn't the case. Different lines bred in different things, the whites as a whole are not geared strongly towards work like some of his cousins, but its a fine OB and sport dog... again, very similar to his American pedigree brethren.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 9:36am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:45am PST 
FCI Berger Blanc Suisse look very different (and have a different standard) than a GSD who is just white. So no I wouldn't say a BBS is exactly just any GSD which is white.
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:45am PST 
Holy cow..that was fast Muldur..
I'm on the fence about the whole separate breed thing. I see some differences, but are they enough to justify a "split?" Meh..not sure. The CKC...Canadian Kennel Club, & the FCI do recognize them as being distinct. The AKC does not, to date.
"BRIEF HISTORICAL SUMMARY: In the USA and Canada
White Shepherd dogs have gradually become to be accepted as a
distinct breed. The first dogs of this breed were imported to
Switzerland in the early 70ies. The American male “Lobo”, whelped
on 5th of March 1966, can be considered as the progenitor of the
breed in Switzerland. The descendants of this male registered with
the Swiss Stud Book (LOS) and other White Shepherd dogs imported
from the USA and Canada, gradually multiplied. There now exists a
big number of purebred over several generations White Shepherd
dogs throughout Europe. These dogs have been registered as a new
breed in the appendix of the Swiss Stud Book (LOS) since June 1991 "
from http://www.berger-blanc-international.com/#Home

ETA..it's all good Muldur. Might not be what I might like, but that's what forums are for, right? Totally agree it is a whole lot about politics & very little about the dogsmile

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 9:55am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:52am PST 
there's also a confusing thing in the UKC which accepts GSDs being white, and also has a separate 'White Shepherd' breed, which is reciprocal and accepts reciprocal pedigrees with FCI's BBS stud book.

But I also heard it is possible to move a UKC GSD which is white, into the UKC White Shepherd stud book (a one way move, and permanent). so.. shrug
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 2:26pm PST 
Here's my issue with it.

Is the "Berger Blanc Suisse" (or White GSD or American White Shepherd or whatever) anymore different from a colored GSD than an American lined dog is to a dog of Czech pedigree? Or a dog from the Highlines?

We aren't calling for separation of breeds for the "American German Shepherd" or the "German Highline Shepherd" or the "Czechoslovakian German Shepherd". Or for that matter, why not petition for the solid black dogs to be a separate breed? Have you ever seen a solid black Czech dog? Doesn't look much like his American b/t cousin (or act like him, for that matter), does he? Why no Czech Black Shepherd?

They are all just "German Shepherds", and outcry for a split in breed for the whites is just as silly as any of the above proposed. Again, in my opinion.
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 2:51pm PST 
Totally hear ya Muldur. That's kinda my view also. But if I say "he's a gsd" I get "can't be. He's white" And if I say "white gsd" it sounds like I'm stating the obvious! laugh out loud And despite being softer they are still GSDs & not a good first dog for most folks.
I really lol when folks argue about it...point at Wiley & state "now that's a gsd". Umm, no he's a mix. big laugh
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:48pm PST 
I know white is allowed in the standard here, well officially anyway but there tends to be outrage if one should win, but there are some of these being imported I think. I don't see the point in splitting the breed anymore than it already is between the various types and even then there is some crossover. They do look beautiful though.

There are people here trying to split the breed, they want their "old fashioned type", heavy body, short legs, very few even doing minimal testing, to be registered as alsatians because they aren't winning any shows naughty
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2