GO!

Why do dogs hump?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:04pm PST 
Why do dogs hump?
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 12:29am PST 
Depends on the dog and the situation. Jasper humps to entice other dogs to play with him. Somewhere along the line, he has learned that if he mounts another dog, they will eventually chase him away...so when he wants another dog to chase him he runs up to hump them. >.<

Luckily for me, he has a pretty consistent "OFF" command, and usually redirects easily. Sadly, occasionally he gets fixated and we have to stop the play session and take him entirely away from the other dog.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 12:23pm PST 
Farles is the same as Jasper. He seems to do it to initiate play.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 12:41pm PST 
We had a girl for awhile that tried to hump Sophie, seemed to be a dominance thing...our cat Sushi tried it with her too...repeatedly...so it does go across gender and species certainly. Sophie has never done it to anyone and heaven help the doggie that tries to do it to her...oddly enough, she was afraid when the cat tried it though...go figurelaugh out loud
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 1:20pm PST 
I can't help myself....."why do dogs hump?" Because they can! BOLlaugh out loud
[notify]