GO!

Just for kicks

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:47pm PST 
" I don't care what my dogs do as long as they are safe, happy, well-mannered and not creating a neighborhood disturbance. I couldn't care less about snap to it obedience or perfect form at the heel. I like it when they mouth me off and it makes me laugh when Buddy jogs backwards in front of me grumbling at me to hurry up, or Shadow stands on the couch laughing at me."

Sabi , are you me? big laugh wink

ETA maybe Pugs arent up for white water rafting

Too bad you aren't into clipping , Maybe Spoo would do for you as well? wink

Pugs are pretty tough too big grin

ETA Pugs probably arent up for white water rafting laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 2:50pm PST

[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:55pm PST 
I know they are too small, but I think you would get a kick of Chis. Princesse is so funny when she tries to stop her self from barking and growls under her breath laugh out loud
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 4:53pm PST 
How about a Sarplaninac? They are large dogs. They're not velcro or "always in your face" kinds of dogs. They do need to be brushed often. I don't believe they drool. They are extremely smart dogs and from what I've heard, easy to train. They are very active dogs and need a lot of exercise. They don't bark much.
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:26pm PST 
Howard, considering I had to go look that breed up, I don't think they would be too easy to acquire. I think if Sabi wanted a Livestock Guardian, it would be easier to get a Great Pyrenees. smile
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:31pm PST 
Not have GSDs?? Sabi, are you mad?? big laugh

Actually I very much feel you. Miyu has been SO perfect for me, but I often get the yearning to try a black and tan, or dobies. Oh man do I love dobies. The husband loves the idea of no shedding and has proposed Airedales too.

I'm not entirely sure about the regimented thought either. I don't think I'm horribly regimented either, though we are probably more so than the average dog owner. But I think the most important thing (aside from being willing to put in the work) with GSDs is being confident. They can't be with pushovers, they'd ruin things horribly. Not that other breeds can't be terrors either, but just with the size and intelligence... well.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:13pm PST 
yeah but the clippering involved in an airedale! you might as well go for a standard poodle. And the constant wet beard in your lap.

my in-laws have an airedale bitch that loves to greet you by first taking a big messy drink of water, trailing the drooly drops across the stone and wood floor for everyone to slip in, and then plops her soppy mug right in your lap and insists on being petted.

I have noticed that GSD owners around here seem to have a sort of self oriented perspective on life. It not that it's regimental, it's just they're family first, career first, king in their own castle sort of people.Unless the dog is a service dog or a police dog, GSDs are the sort of dog you get when you are living the american dream. Falling into that category specfically, the sort of people that drive a 3-5 ton diesel dualie and never go out into the country. If I ever saw a hippie in a hemp sundress and driving a smart with a GSD in the passenger seat, I think i would just bust out laughing. the farmers I know have all sorts of mixed breeds and herding breeds, and the hunters all have sporting dogs. I'm not saying GSDs are a city dog, but it seems that those of them that own them and happen to be in the city are that way.

I don't know what it means not to be a GSD owner in your area, but I might ask people to clarify. The truth is that you just love the dog you have. I don't look like a chihuahua person, but i am. It just took owning one or two to fall desperately in love with the breed, and I think it's that way for GSD too.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 2:52am PST 
I could be that hippie with the GSD in the front seat one day. laugh out loud

Actually, though, people do give me looks because my dog looks like a small shepherd, dog is done up to the nines in a red harness and a love heart tag and the owner is still a 90s style grungy hippie, lol. No one messes with me, though. wink
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 5:00am PST 
Husky Husky Husky!!! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:33am PST 
Never thought about the whole demographics of owning a dog... what sort of people own what breeds is actually kind of an interesting discussion.

I'm a middle class person who lives in a middle class neighborhood who drives a middle class car... and I guess I would consider my dogs middle class working type dogs laugh out loud

Or maybe they are the higher class dogs, and I am just their servant... still to be decided, as I probably put more time and money into them than I do any single other thing in my life shh

Oh and BTW Sabs, for the people who feel it necessary to critique your taste in breeds... tell them to take it up with the dogs laugh out loudway to go
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:51am PST 
Pugs are to small. I had a Pug in the family(extended, Step- Grandmother's)Sadly he passed a while back. He was a great little man. RIP Bugsy.
I feel sorry for most Chi's. Such bold, intelligent little dogs relegated to the roll of a fashion accessory. Sad.
I owned a Malamute years ago, wonderful animal. And I have worked with several Sibes. Huskies in general seem a bit to independant for me. I like independance but not quite to the extreme of 'I'm leaving you for the neighbor'. If I wanted that I'd get married againlaugh out loud
Charlie, Rotti's would have always been a thought were it not for the abundance of bad breeding in this areafrown Perhaps I should start rescuing them as well as Shepherds.
My mother used to tell me I was a closet Hippielaugh out loudYou should see me wandering around in my bare feet, picking flowers and herbs, with my pack of faithful GSDs. Everyone who knows me thinks I chose an odd occupation for one who's favorite saying is "make love, not war".
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4