GO!

Just for kicks

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 10:30pm PST 
Well, what breeds do the people who tell you you're not a GSD person think you'd be better with? thinking
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 10:34pm PST 
They don't that's the problem shrug
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 11:20pm PST 
Berger Picard. And another German Shepherd. way to go
[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:33am PST 
laugh out loud
Funny that JT's already been here saying this. But I was going to say Rigby.

I don't do small dogs, not because I don't like them but because I'm a klutz and I always worry about stepping on them.
Ok she's about knee height to me and I'm not that tall shrug But she seems to be fine with me tripping on her.
I dislike clingy, in your face dogs. I like companionship but I really dislike obsessive attention.
This describes her pretty well. Sometimes she'll come chill on the couch while I'm watching tv, other times she's off doing her own thing.
I don't mind brushing but I don't do clipping
I am good with muddy footprints, dog hair but I dislike drooling.

Easiest coat I've ever dealt with. Any dirt/mud dries off within a few minutes and falls
I train as needed but I am not generally a stickler for obedience, more into behavior.
From what I understand, most kelpies aren't too much for obedience either laugh out loud
I don't have a competetive bone in my body, but a day with me could involve anything from popcorn and movies to a 20 mile hike and some whitewater rafting
I've been working over a year to get Rigby to be more competitive. I really think she would be happy either way. And she's perfectly happy chilling on the couch all day but has the stamina to hike, run, swim etc.
I don't like shy, quiet dogs and I don't like super biddable. I respect a challenge. I enjoy a dog that will look at me and say' you threw it, you fetch it' once in a while.
I've had people laugh at me for the arguments I get in with Rig out in the field. She's usually quite compliant with fetch, but there's always those few times...
Throw the frisbee, she looks at it, I say "get the frisbee", she barks at me. Then we've got a bit of a back and forth banter until I give up and go get it. laugh out loud

Soooo yeah if she's anything like a typical Kelpie, that may be a breed idea for you winkwink
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:31am PST 
Only you will know whether your a GSD person BOL don't ever let anyone tell you what kind of dog person you are cause it's obvious that they don't know you or your dogs or your likes in that matter. But considering the topic terriers do seem like a fit dog for you. Ever consider a Bull terrier? Sure some ppl don't like the way they look with their egg heads BOL but i love the egg heads. Gives them a unique look and very distinguishable. They can be couch potatoes and be on the go when you want them to be. They are game for anything you throw at them whether its hiking, swimming, running, playing ball etc. They are also very comical breeds and can give you a great laugh. Easy grooming as well. Easy to train whether its behavior or obedience. A dog that can be easily trained to be off leash without taking off. A good friend of mine has 4. I spend a lot of time with her and her dogs. Her youngest BT is only a couple weeks older than my husky Luna. The practically grew up with each other. It was funny how he had the hots for her when they both were about 4.5 to 5 months old. She would take off running and he would try his hardest try to keep up with her. It was a funny sight to see. Must get one from a great line as bad lines carry neurological disorders and problems. So research the breeder before considering getting one.

As for me I have two very versatile breeds. My dachshunds and my huskies lol. Although I don't recommend huskies for you as mine are always on the go. They do know what down and lazy time is. But other than that they always want to be outside running around. Giant dachshunds? Well have you ever seen a standard dachshund? Not many around in my area since mini doxies seems to be the fad now. But standard dachshunds are probably as big as a female basset hound. Their average weight is 30 - 40lbs! That's as close to a giant dachshund you can get. Easy to train. Easy grooming. Can be on the go or chill out on the couch with you. Be sure to keep them at a good weight and keep them from jumping to reduce the risk of IVDD (intra vertebral degenerative disc disease). Dachshunds are great dogs though.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:52am PST 
Sabi,
Knowing you more through p-mail than the forums I understand completely the no more Akita's thing although I think in many ways they would fit you now.
I however see you as the perfect GSD person. I have been quite sucessful with my Akita's but have had only one breed selector come-up with them as a choice for me. I get anything from Standard poodles to Cane Corso's,rottie's and other "agressive" breeds as well as other nordic type breeds but they seem to skip over Akita's entirely,so they can be wrong. I do use them but tend to rely a bit more on breed profiles in helping me make decisions. While I love many of the traits of GSD's there are two that I have never been sucessful in overcoming to my satisfaction,one is their need for activity,not a problem until the car accident I was in in 2004 which has decreased my ability to be active considerably,and barking,some just seem to love barking and consider it a competetive sport with every other dog in town,not a good thing when you suffer migraines or live in the city. Aside from that I adore them. I honestly can't imagine you with another breed.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:41am PST 
I think most GSD people are much more regimented then I am. I seriously lack the discipline of the average owner. I don't care what my dogs do as long as they are safe, happy, well-mannered and not creating a neighborhood disturbance. I couldn't care less about snap to it obedience or perfect form at the heel. I like it when they mouth me off and it makes me laugh when Buddy jogs backwards in front of me grumbling at me to hurry up, or Shadow stands on the couch laughing at me.
Maybe I am a Kelpie person, definitely no more Huskieslaugh out loudNice bit not my type.
I love Akitas, but they make me very sad and remind me of the cost of mistakes. Could never go there againfrown
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:26pm PST 
Sabi,
I truly do understand the no more Akita's and why. I also understand that sadness that comes with costly mistakes and do not envy you that pain.

I also do not need a dog with a perfet heel or one that can take every obedience prize offered,all I ask is that they behave well in my home and in public and know which behaviors are appropriate where. Warning the Golden trying to dig it's way under the fence and attack them that it is not welcome here is fine,behaving badly at Petco,the vet,or other public place is not. Mine are well aware of the difference. I'm sure yours know your standard and you know their limits as well. I know my pups like routine but are not regimented and will give depending on the situation,I like flexability. So do they. As long as your pups are healthy,happy,and you are all enjoying life together,have fun and don't worry about being the right type of person for the breed,you are the right person for them and that's what matters most.hug
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:23pm PST 
Hmm... It's funny, because everything you've described has described pretty well every single Rottweiler I've ever known. I haven't seen them suggested yet. wink
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:04pm PST 
Who said a GSD owner has to be regimented? laugh out loud I'm so not regimented and have been told I'd be good with the breed. My friend is on GSDs (DDRs ... three, all entire males, did ACDs, bouvs and spoodles too in the past) and she's not regimented in the slightest, just goes with the flow. Her dogs are terrific. And, as an aside, a lot of kelpie people are also GSD people too. Sooo ... I think you're definitely on the right breed. No need to change.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4