GO!

Just for kicks

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:24pm PST 
People keep telling me I am not a GSD personconfused
So just for kicks wondered if any of you have thoughts on what breed would be better for me.

I don't do small dogs, not because I don't like them but because I'm a klutz and I always worry about stepping on them.
I dislike clingy, in your face dogs. I like companionship but I really dislike obsessive attention.
I don't mind brushing but I don't do clipping
I am good with muddy footprints, dog hair but I dislike drooling.
I train as needed but I am not generally a stickler for obedience, more into behavior.
I don't have a competetive bone in my body, but a day with me could involve anything from popcorn and movies to a 20 mile hike and some whitewater raftinglaugh out loud
I don't like shy, quiet dogs and I don't like super biddable. I respect a challenge. I enjoy a dog that will look at me and say' you threw it, you fetch it' once in a while.
So what is my breed? I know the Purina breed selector is wrong.laugh out loud
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:31pm PST 
Wow-how small is too small? Because you've just described my Dachshund!
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:37pm PST 
Lupi, I love them but I have a tendency to start walking before I'm awake and I'm scared I'd kill anything smaller then knee height. I like Poms and Yorkies as well but would never own them either. Can we create giant Dachshunds?
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:55pm PST 
You would love JT. So freaking much.

Perhaps there's a kelpie person inside waiting to come out? Just like there's a GSD girl in me waiting to be freed? laugh out loud If I lived near you, I think we'd have a hoot dog sitting each other's breeds.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:22pm PST 
Lol, "Giant Dachshunds". The world would definitely be overtaken!

Your desired trait list probably describes a fair few breeds. Maybe you need to add some specifics?
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:51pm PST 
JT when Shadow and I do our world tour we will be sure to include a trip to Kelpie Landlaugh out loud
Ok Lupi, I have visions of an army of Giants in military gear marching through town.big laugh
Anyway, specifics....I need an off switch for sure but I don't like lazy. All weather is a must, if I have to be out in it so do the dogs. Has to like water and needs to be game for anything. I may take up skydivinglaugh out loudNo super long silky coats, I don't mind grooming but I prefer not to have to spend more time on the dogs hair then my own.
I'm a jeans and ponytail kind of woman, prefer a pick up to a sports car and I like those kind of dogs if it makes sense. No show dogs here.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:16pm PST 
Agree with Lupi that a lot of breeds could match your wants list. I'm thinking Akita, Cattle Dog, or maybe one of the larger terriers? Not clingy, not super biddable, active, easy coats, good to go in most weather, and definitely not shy.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:36pm PST 
No matter what breed selector I use I keep getting Chessies. I love them, truly do and I used to want one, but I don't really. Also got Brittanies, Coonhounds, Pointers,Tollers and Setters. Apparently I need a hunting dog.shrug

ETA Onyx I will never have another Akita and I am unsure how I feel about ACD's. I lived with one and fostered a few crosses. Didn't quite know how to take them.

Edited by author Sun Jan 13, '13 9:40pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:56pm PST 
Hmmm...Airedale, or another terrier? I don't know a whole lot about all the different terriers, but they might have that challenge and sense of humor you're looking for. The Airedale is definitely a very versatile breed, and most terriers don't lack for energy.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 10:19pm PST 
Love Airedales, love, love, love.
Also like Bouvs, Wolfhounds, Danes, Mastiffs,Wheatons, Shelties but I have failed to find anything as perfect as my GSDs.
Not clear why I'm not a GSD person.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4