GO!

Border Collies vs. Dalmatians (and other suggestions are welcome).

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3  
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:09pm PST 
I don't think that makes you a hypocrite, Cohen. wink I'm pretty much the same. I want a dog bred for a purpose. (Or, at the very least, one who can excel in work or sport since Risa clearly was not bred for a purpose.) If it's a working breed, it had better be able to do what it was bred for or be an acceptable sport dog (as sport does encompass many of the traits a well-bred working dog is expected to have).

The form of the dog was supposed to be derived from the function. When you focus simply on form, you lose that function. Even if it's just solid temperament. . .when you don't focus on it, it's gone.

I know many people don't have the lifestyle they used to and don't have a need for a working dog. However, I feel it is a huge disservice to any working breed to breed a 'non working' form. If you don't have the time and energy to dedicate to a working dog, DON'T GET ONE. There are plenty of other breeds suited to your lifestyle that we don't need to water down those instincts.

Okay, off my soapbox now. wink

I think it depends on what you're looking for as to whether a Dal or a BC would be best. Both are high-energy breeds and people pleasers in that they like to work with you. They're both pretty flashy as well. Honestly, you'd probably have a better time doing conformation and canine sports with a Dalmatian as there is very little split in that breed.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 7:13am PST 
I do agree that breeders that breed "non-working" working breeds are doing a disservice towards the breed. However, and this is probably a radical opinion, I think that showing working breeds in conformation is fine as long as the dogs excel in some kind of work as well. That's what I'm looking for in a Border Collie breeder. Yes, I am still leaning towards a Border Collie, despite the enormous rift in the breed.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3