GO!

Am I making the right decision? Bedlington puppy.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 4:26pm PST 
Re the cat, maybe think less of Jasper and more on the cat check on Jackson Galaxy. I always just resigned myself to cats laugh out loud I had one, who my GSD more or less raised, that I actually taught to sit and down. That was more like a trick though, and doubt I could have done it with anyone but Soda.

At any rate, I caught Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet, and he is an amazing teacher! Just casually watching a couple of shows and he was getting me to see things in a different light. He's really amazing. Not as in some new master training plan, just a cat guy who really understands cats, what they need, how things influence their behavior. Less like a dog in terms of training them to do x, y, z but how environmentally influenced they are....their needs are quite different....and how changes in their environment can dramatically influence behavior.

He might be someone to check into. He definitely made an impression in me and despite having been around cats forever, has really helped me to see cats in a different way and looking at environmental contexts and their influence on behavior. He might be someone to look into way to go
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:53pm PST 
Funny that you mentioned Jackson Galaxy...it was when I caught an episode of his show at a party (we don't have a TV so I only get to see actualy TV shows occasionally) that I realized that I might not have to be resigned to Charlie being skittish forever. We've put a lot of his advice into action over the last few months and I've already seen a subtle difference in her. I'm definitely a fan of his. I'll ask my trainer about Jasper's chasing and keep working on the cat too. Can't hurt to approach both sides of the problem. smile
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:35pm PST 
Very true! He has helped me a lot, for with these dog-cat problems before I've only felt the dog could be worked on. Never occurred to me differently. Now, I see far more potential, or even simply the cat. My ex-feral is far from a problem....she was just a little kitty when I got her and is friendly like a dog, likes to taunt Tiller.....but I did try a few things I picked up from Jackson Galaxy that made terrific sense and while there were no problems to correct she seems even better than she was. People argue about tv dog trainers all the time, but I think he is just of a different ilk. Really communicative, gives amazing ideas he helps you to understand. Huge fan. He's totally converted me as to how much you can change a cat's behavior with environmental shifts, which has really helped me understand their needs so much better. Funny, because I've never had a problem cat! He's still quite inspiring wink

If you want to talk about kitty's behavior, perhaps I could muse a little Jackson logic laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Jan 17, '13 11:36pm PST

[notify]

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 12:25am PST 
*chuckles* Charlie is just...jumpy. My sister found her as a ~8-10 week old kitten, and I adopted her a few days later when it became very clear that Charlie and my sister's cat did NOT like one another. She bonded with the other cat we had immediately, though when we added a third last year she was NOT thrilled. She tolerates the third cat now, but disciplines him for getting too close. Third cat has decided that the solution for this is to run by her a few times a day and smack her nose. She is slowly learning to tolerate this too. -_- Those pesky kids, eh? laugh out loud

I am almost never allowed to touch her unless I get to her in a very relaxed moment. I can count on one hand the number of time she has sat in my lap in the four-ish years I've had her. She *was* a little better before suffereing some recurring bouts of cystitis two years ago where I had to pill her and give her SQ fluids over and over for awhile.

The cystitis still comes and goes, but it's sterile and I've decided that administering the pain meds is worse for her than the pain the cystitis causes. Plus I'd like her not to be terrified of me. So...I know she has some chronic pain contributing to her behavior.

If a person approaches her, she bolts. SHE might approach a PERSON on occasion, but she likes to initiate contact. I can't really tell with regards to the other animals if she's the boss or the bottom of the ladder....sometimes she sits at the top of the stairs and swats any animal who tries to pass her, on the other hand she's last to eat, and either of the male cats can and will kick her out of the food. With Jasper too...sometimes she whacks him out of 'her' bed(actually his bed, but don't tell her that), other times she runs from him, especially if he's playing with a toy or bounds into a room.

She seems to have a hard time letting go of stressful events. Once a month I catch her and trim her nails, and she's extra jumpy for the next week. I hate this, and I wish she didn't need such regular nail trimming, but hers grow FAST. I'd LOVE to try her on prozac or clomicalm....but the act of medicating her is so stressful that I think it would likely negate any benefit she would take from the drug.

I've been playing with all of the cats in the evening, to prevent "herd of elephants galloping up and down the stairs" syndrome all night. At first, she just sat on the sidelines and watched the boys play, but after a week or so she opted to join in occasionally. She stops if a toy hits or startles her or if another animal gets too close, and she plays much more gently than the boys, but she IS engaging. It might be in my head, but she seems more willing to accept affection when she's had some playtime too. I tried a calming collar on her, and was bitten for my trouble....also I didn't notice a difference in the month she wore it. We tried feliway, and discovered that not only did we not notice a difference, it gives members of my family migraines. (D'oh!)

Wow, that got longer than I planned...sorry for the ramble!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2