GO!

Help with future breed match

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 11:29am PST 
wow wiggles maybe my dachshunds are oddballs of the doxie world. Mine walk off leash and do not go more than 2 feet from me even if they see another dog, bird, or small animal that looks like fun to chase. They LOVE kids and I don't even have any of my own. Mine don't bark much at all. And mine don't dig. I know that if you have the dog before the children come into your life you will be able to teach the child to be gentle with any dog you bring into the home.

I used to bring my mini wirehair dachshund to the kid area of the park and let kids pet him so that may have caused my doxie to be friendly towards children.
[notify]
Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC

this is the good- life

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 1:15pm PST 
A shar pei isnt a bad choice it fits most of your requirments they may require more ear care but you may no that I would be careful with who you get them from for what you want as one from bad breeding will not be this way but I can admit mine is a therapy dog and great with everything and everyone but she was raised for this
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 1:57pm PST 
Wow, this is great. I never expected to get so much feedback and information. smile

I have always loved the idea of Basenjis and Shiba Inus. My initial research sort of turned me off of them but I might look closer. I was concerned that the Basenji would need more exercise than I originally suspected and the Shiba was described as being very independent, plus having a high potential to run off scared me. But I don't take my dogs off leash unless the area is enclosed so that might nip that in bud right there.

I absolutely adore the look of a wirehaired dachshund. I will definitely do more checking into them because the thought of them hunting small wild creatures in my yard is not pleasant. We get a lot of rabbits, stray cats, and there's definitely something digging small holes in our yard already. I just hate to see any animal get hurt.

I've met one Shar Pei in my life and he was very calm, barked occasionally but usually for attention, very focused on his owner and couldn't care less about me. So all those things worked for me, plus I love the look. With my pug, I've dealt with entropions, skin allergies, and ear issues even though I clean them regularly. So while I would love to get a dog without those issues, at least I feel better equiped to handle those particular problems should they come up.
[notify]

Wiggles

wiggles is my- name ,digging is- my game

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 5:59pm PST 
Im not saying there are not wonderful minis put there, i just like to prepare people for the negative habits that doxies can have, i just get tired of seeing them come into the rescue for being hounds.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:32pm PST 
I just don't know if igs are good with kids. personality wise yes, but they're pretty fragile dogs. They do need a good running out at least once a day too. they might act like couch potatoes, but they do get cooped up.

maybe if you are willing to look for a smaller version of a basset, look up Basset Bleu de Gascogne. It's a rare basset type breed, but it's only 35-40lbs. I don't know where you would find a breeder though.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:35pm PST 
I hate recommending my own breed, but I do feel I have to defend the Doxies!

Mine is a small standard, so maybe that's why she's mellower than some minis, but she barks very little, is great with kids and is almost always the best behaved dog at the off-leash park. I'm not saying that didn't take training, but I certainly see myself sticking with the breed based on my experience with Lupi.

My Dachshund would actually fit your requirements perfectly, especially since she loves being carried up and down the stairs!

But all the traits Wiggles has mentioned ARE possible characteristics of a Doxie. And, as Tiller has stated many times, you do have to be prepared to handle the worst of a breed, not just the best. I was thinking of an IG as well.
[notify]
Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 12:52am PST 
Lupi and Wiggles it all depends on what socializing you do with the doxies while they are still young. I socialized my mini wirehair doxie Jazz with just about everything while he was still a young pup so that he wouldn't be nippy and scared.. That included cats, dogs (big and small) small animals (ferrets, hamsters etc) old people, young people and little children as young as 6 months - a year.

I have also been told and have experienced that wirehaired dachshunds are a lot more calmer than the long hair and short hair dachshunds. I could be wrong. I have only encountered 4 other wirehair dachshunds other than my own and they all have been sweet with no nips. Although they did have the other doxie traits like digging and barking. But that is a hound for you.
[notify]
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 3:08pm PST 
Tibetan Spaniels are pretty awesome little dogs. Ours is about 18 pounds but seems larger. He does not bark often, although he is a good watchdog.
Our Tibbie loves everyone in our family and doesn't want to be apart from us. His favorite things to do are sleep with us, take walks and play with our other dog, who is a Shih Tzu.
Our Tibbie is a bit stubborn and can't be trusted off-leash.
He wasn't too difficult to find, but we did seek out a good, top breeder. You can PM me for more info, or check out breeders on the Tibetan Spaniel Club of America website.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2