GO!

Help with future breed match

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 1:12pm PST 
Hello,

I’m looking for help narrowing down breeds for a future match. I currently have an older pug and will not be getting a new animal until after he has passed. I hope I have several more years with my pug, but you never know so I want to be prepared. My requirements are:

Size: under 50lbs (30-40lbs would be preferred but anything under 50 is fine) The reason for my size limit is so I can carry my dog up and down my attic steps. We keep our computers up there and the staircase is a tight spiral. Not safe for dogs to attempt on their own. I carry my pug up and down so he can spend time with us.

Grooming: minimal (I do not want a dog that needs professional grooming, trimming or whose fur can get matted and nasty on a daily basis. I can handle basic eye, ear and nail care along with brushing and bathing as needed.)

Exercise: low to moderate (I’m not a very active person. I like to play with my dogs but I’m not a jogger, hiker, swimmer, etc. I also don’t do dog sports although I would consider agility for a slightly more active dog, but just for fun. I want a dog that I can play with for short 15-30 minute intervals several times throughout the day, but will also settle down to watch a movie with me on the couch.)

Ease of Training: not important (I worked as a dog trainer for several years so I can handle a little ‘stubbornness.’ I love to teach my dogs simple tricks and work them mentally more than physically.)

Temperament: affectionate towards me, not aggressive in general (My dog is my world and I want to be his world as well. My pug follows me from room to room, always positioning himself so he can watch me if he’s not in my lap or at my feet. I love that. I like to cuddle, hug, pet and kiss my animals. My dog doesn’t have to love it or ask for it, just be able to tolerate it. I don’t have people coming and going from my house very often so I don’t really care how my dog acts towards strangers, but I want to know that if I have to call in a plumber, my dog will be ok with that.)

Kids: tolerant (I don’t have kids and probably won’t ever have them, but I haven’t ruled out the possibility. I also have 3 nephews who live out of state that I would love to have stay with me some when they get older. My nephews live with dogs so they are being raised to treat animals kindly.)

Other animals: tolerant (I don’t plan on having more than one dog at a time, but my husband is a cat person. We don’t have a cat now, but I want him to always have the option to get one without having to worry about its safety. Other members of my family also have cats and I would like to be able to bring my dog to holidays at their houses.)

Shedding, drooling, snoring: doesn’t bother me (I have a pug!)

Barking: ok in small doses (Dogs bark. I love when my dogs “talk” to me. But non-stop barking can be too much, especially for my husband.)

Watch/guard dog ability: irrelevant (I don’t care one way or the other if a breed is likely to have these traits.)

So what can I offer my dog? A loving home where he will always be treated like a member of the family. I work full time but rarely have to do overtime and my husband is home during the day while I’m at work. If that were to change, my job is only 5 minutes from home so I can come home for a quick walk at lunch if necessary. I can teach and train my dog, give him structure and rules, but I’m not overly strict. I can challenge him mentally. I own my home so he’ll be in a stable environment. My house is not that big but it has an average sized yard that is fenced in so he can romp about off leash while I relax on the porch.

Breeds that interest me:

Cardigan Welsh Corgi – My biggest concern is if I could keep up with its energy level.

Basset Hound – Size is the only issue here. A small basset would be at the high end of my size limit.

Chinese Shar Pei – Another dog on the high end of my size limit.

Tibetan Spaniel – Not sure of grooming requirements with all that hair, but they are adorable. Also, may be hard to find.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – This breed was runner up when I decided on my pug. It’s still in the mix.

French Bulldog – The only knock against this breed for me is its similarity to a pug. For emotional/sentimental reasons I don’t like to repeat dog breeds. If I went with this breed, color would be very important to make it look distinctly different from my fawn-colored pug.

Bulldog – Their biggest drawback is lifespan. I’d prefer a dog that averages about 12 years minimum.

Newfoundland – Not a contender on this go round but I wanted to add them to give an idea of my taste because they are one of my ‘hopefully someday’ dogs.

So now that I’ve written a book, hopefully that gives you enough information about me to start making suggestions or comments on the breeds I’ve listed. I’d love any input you all want to give. Thanks!

Edited by author Sun Jan 13, '13 8:30pm PST

[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 2:05pm PST 
First breed that popped into mind was wait for it... a Chihuahua!big grin The only potential issue I can see is the "good with children" but Chis vary wildly with that, so finding one that likes children wouldn't be that hard. Of course, you would still have to be careful with a Chi and small children. Yes, they some of them can be barky, but they can be trained. The reason we have issues here is because hubby is not consistent naughty Princesse is portable, is up for walks or outings but is right now snuggled up happily with hubby watching TV. That is her favorite spot. She does quite well when no one is home as well. She does have another dog for company, but they don't really pay a lot of attention to each other anyway. She has gotten along with birds, cats and rabbits. I know a lot of people don't care for Chis, because I was one of thembig laugh Give them a chance and you may be pleasantly surprisedcloud 9
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:20pm PST 
Have you considered an Italian Greyhound?
While they do require a moderate amount of exercise, it's less than the Corgi you mentioned and very little grooming.
They tend to be very people-oriented, and affectionate little dogs in my experience.

A chihuahua is another choice (from a breeder that temperament tests of course) that may fit your requirements.

I've found also that Frenchies aren't that similar to pugs once you get past the muzzle appearance.

Breed matching, especially with the smaller and less active breeds isn't exactly in my knowledge zone so to say, but I hope this helps!
[notify]

Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:28pm PST 
My vote is for the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or the Tibetan Spaniel. Both are wonderful little dogs...minimal grooming requirements...people oriented...not particularly high energy.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:13pm PST 
Thank you all so much.

I have no problem with Chihuahuas. In fact, I was looking through my local shelter's website the other day and a Chi caught my eye. If I was in the market for a dog right now, I'd probably be going to check him out. I grew up around them; my aunt had 2 and my mom got one later. All 3 were completely different. Pedro was yappy and anti-social, Jose was laid back and great with me and my brother as kids, and Teenie was timid and nervous (although she was rescued from an abusive home).

I'll have to look into IGs as well. I hadn't really thought about them and don't know much about them. So that gives me a new breed to research. Yay! smile

I'm still not sure whether I'll be getting my next dog from a breeder or a shelter/breed rescue. My pug was from a breeder and I love knowing what I'm getting when you deal with a reputable breeder as well as the opportunity to raise them from puppyhood. But I've also rescued a few mixed breeds and am all for giving dogs a second chance. Either way, I like to pay attention to the breeds though. My biggest pet peeve in training was seeing people bring in dogs that they had no business owning, not listening to what they could do to make the situation better, and complaining about the dog non-stop as if it was all their fault. shrug
[notify]
Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:44am PST 
Corgi's shed a lot. They are also herding breeds so they may tend to try to herd you if you don't break the habit early in their puppy phase. Majority of the Cavalier spaniels produce a heart murmur. Can be maintained with medications. Basset hounds are big dogs on short stubby legs. So research the breed a bit more. Chinese Shar Pei's have skin and eye issues. More eye issues than a pug gets. Also some of them are not very kid friendly. So that's another breed you should do extensive research on that breed. Italian greyhounds are great dogs except the fact that they have the highest extremity fatalities ( breaking leg bones) due to their small and fragile size. They can jump off a couch and break their leg just from doing so.

Have you considered a miniature dachshund? I have two and they are great loveable dogs. They depend on your affection. Love kids. Don't need professional grooming if you get a short hair. I have two and they are one of the best dogs I have owned. My mini wirehair LOVES kids. When he sees my god-daughter he goes nuts. He covers her in kisses and sleeps with her.

Basenji's are great dogs. Minimal coat care. Known as the "barkless dog". Instead of barking they do a yodel sound. And it's very minimal.

Alaskan Klee Kai's look like mini huskies with a fox like appearance. They just need a daily brushing especially during the shedding seasons.

Beagles are great dogs and can be easily trained not to bark so much..

Boston terriers and french bulldogs are also dogs you might consider. As being a pug owner, this may be ideal breeds for you.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:05pm PST 
So glad you have no problem with Chis big grin
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:48pm PST 
Jazzy - unfortunately, a Beagle would require more than the OP is looking for in terms of exercise. I hate to say it, but a typical Beagle would not be happy with low to moderate exercise. They do far better with A LOT of exercise, otherwise they have a tendency to get bored and destructive. They fit the rest of the criteria, aside from the barking too - although there are exceptions. Charlie is an exception, as is another Beagle named Jake on here. I also believe the Basenji may require too much exercise as well - but I could be wrong on that breed as I don't have personal experience. I just know they were bred for hunting.

I was thinking French Bulldog before I even saw it on your list, although a Chi works fairly well too. I like the suggestion of an Italian Greyhound. Cavalier's are total lap dogs too.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:49pm PST 
I have personal experience with basenji's and they're not as high maintenance as you would think. They are great dogs for ppl who live in an apartment and who doesn't want a dog who needs a HIGH requirement of exercise. As for italian greyhounds i would not recommend them as they are very fragile dogs. You have to have steps for your bed and couches to prevent leg extremity fatalities. They also don't like cold weather due to them not having any body fat or a double coat to keep them warm. I don't recommend chi's either. They can be a bit nippy with children and strangers.

I think the suitable breeds for you is basenji, french bulldog, boston terrier, mini dachshund, and just maybe a shiba inu..
[notify]
Wiggles

wiggles is my- name ,digging is- my game

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:46am PST 
Not all mini doxies are good with kids, they are hounds and are very stubborn. The kid needs to respect the doxie or the doxie will try and teach the kid respect and it does not end well, many come into rescue because they bite kids or Adults...they are always near the top of the bite list. Standard doxies are much better with kids then most minis. Also doxies bark at almost everything, you will need to break that habit quickly. You also have to be very careful with doxies due to their long backs, they should not jump too much or be allowed to get overweight. They cannot be trusted off leash as they tend to chase, and usually kill if they can, small animals. They like to dig and get muddy also.

Please note i love doxies with all my heart but they are considered cute toy dogs by most when they need to be treated as hounds.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2