GO!

Opinions on adding a third dog to a two dog pack ?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 3:11pm PST 
I got an email from my preferred Spoodle breeder. If all goes well, there will be a litter ready to go in May. Aside from hubby's ' 2 dog rule', I am not where I wanted to be when I added a third dog. I am working too many hours and have too many financial commitments at the moment. Having come so close, I have been rethinking the whole 3 dog idea.

Here's the thing... Bunny is my dog, and demands a lot of attention. He also tends to be jealous of any attention I give to anyone or anything else. Princesse is hubby's dog and seems content to just be around him. She is pretty picky about which dogs she likes, but I think she could adapt to a dog willing to let her be the boss. A puppy would need so much attention and I am afraid it would upset our dynamics. Any thoughts from those who have added dog number 3 to their 2 dog pack?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:18pm PST 
I had 3 dogs. We added Koby because Jax was getting older. She did such a good job raising Kali, that we wanted her to raise another puppy before she got too old. Koby was 8 weeks old when we got him and he fit right in. Although, my 2 were both females, where you have one male and one female; your dynamics would be different than mine. It's a hard call for you, because it would really depend on your dogs personalities. I intend on getting another one before Kali gets too old. That way, Koby can be distracted by the third dog and hopefully won't be too depressed when Kali goes. For me, 3 dogs are a lot of work. I didn't think it would be, but it was, esp. when Jax got sick. So, for me, I only intend on having three dogs for fairly short periods of time.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 2:42pm PST 
Thanks, Jaxsmile Bunny seems to get along with the majority of females, regardless of their size. Bigger males often present a problem , as well as a couple of males of his size. I can only think of 1 female that he did not get along with. As I said, Princesse would probably be OK with any dog that respected her space. She probably wouldn't be best buds , but would tolerate that type of dog. My concern is that Bunny wants all my attention and I would want the 3rd dog to be my dog as wellthinking
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 12:55pm PST 
Well all I can tell you is that my 3rd dog was a mistake -- probably due to her breed mix -- cattle dog/pittie but ALL cattle dog in attitude. However my fourth dog is wonderful. Rolo is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever mix with excellent dog manners. He was timid, but is growing more confident day by day. Fits in quite well as bottom dog here.

I would make sure you get a puppy with characteristics that fit your household dogs. Poodles are of course a lot different from snarky, hard-eyed, bitchy Cattle Dogs, lol. Let the breeder know what you want and she can pick for you, if she's a good breeder.

Best of luck! big grin
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 1:07pm PST 
We did great with number three. Two and one were both large dogs and very peaceable. Three was a little spitfire who moved in and took over and that went fine. But number four? That might be more like your trying to add a dog when Bunny is "yours." My number three had real issues with sharing her space. We have gotten to a place where things are peaceful, but I still have to watch the pair of them to avoid spats.

I'm not sure it has improved anybody's life situation, except maybe number 4 who was an abandoned dog. I would probably do it again, but you know Bunny best. If you think she is going to resent sharing, you might want to stop at two.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 1:47pm PST 
I hereby respectfully present the most logical argument ever - poodle!!! HELLO!!? POODLE!! Poodle toes! Poodle tail! Poodle nose! Poodle curls! Poodle kisses! Poodle bounce! Poodle love!!! Poodle legs! Poodle eyes!! POODLE!!!

You're welcome. big grin
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 2:25pm PST 
Dr . Watt, definitely a good breeder and I have already discussed the dynamics here with her a bitsmile

Savy, its something to think about for sure...

Jewel laugh out loud Btw , have I mentioned lately, that Jettsen has a good home already?wink

I forgot to mention that my groomer only charges 5 dollars more for a Spoodle than she does for Bunny! shock I suspect if I let her do some fancy cuts, she would do them for free!big grin
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 2:33pm PST 
I ended up doing poorly in school and having to retake the year as a result of adding a third dog silencedsilencedsilenced

Although everyone here is presenting some pretty persuasive arguments wink

I find that puppies are easier in some aspects - such as integrating into a "pack" situation. In my experience, more established dogs tend to have a higher tolerance for pups. And pups have an easier time accepting their role by older dogs.

By this point, I'm sure you're well acquainted with the typical puppy raising challenges, and the time commitments involved.

But everything happens for a reason, I wouldn't have been able to move out of my parent's home and into my apartment if it wasn't for Rigby (out of school I had time to work more hours and become more financially stable).
Sooo maybe this potential pup could lead to something great and new?
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 3:19pm PST 
I'm in the same boat as you Bunny. I don't have any particular concerns about the puppy fitting in with Missy & Tyler but i too also hoped to have moved ( i'm currently in a flat ) and as it stands at the moment that's not gonna happen. So that potentially means three dogs, the newest being a large breed, in a flat with no garden. Not ideal, but the breeder doesn't think it's a huge problem so that's a relief and it will only be a temporary set up. I think the biggest concern of mine is having enough time for all dogs. The new pup would demand a great deal of my time and that's going to result in the other two having to take a back seat while we go out and train in the sports i'm interested in with the new pup etc. Also currentley i see a great deal of my family and i visit with both my two and they are apart of the whole family. We go on holidays away etc. But my parents have already said they don't want the third dog in their home as it's going to be to large and my sister's little dog possibly won't gel with the new pup either as he doesn't like larger dogs much. So, that kind of makes things a little difficult as i won't really have any family support or backup with the new pup.

But at the same time i feel i'm exactly the right age for a new pup. I'm physically able to hand it's size and i really want to "do" things with this next dog that i haven't been able to do with my current two.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 3:46pm PST 
Rigby, I won't have to worry about school, at leastwink

Tyler, I am settled house wise, but time wise, not so much. I have 1 full time job and 3 part time oneseek I felt so guilty with Princesse because I didn't have much time to spend with her, even though she was supposed to be hubby's dog anyway. When Bunny came to live with us, I had lots of time but not much moneyshrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2