GO!

Ideas (Mostly for fun)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Nikolai

GOgoGogOGO

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 9:07am PST 
My breed researching has gotten my partner thinking about what breed he'd like to pursue next time. His last two dogs were shelter mutts and his next will likely be, too, but it's fun to think about. smile

He's looking for:
-A heavy-boned/tanky large or giant breed.
-Short hair.
-No drooly drippy mastiff jowls.
-Sweet, gentle, loves everyone type breed.
-Couch potato.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 11:09am PST 
AmStaff mixlittle angel-med. to larger sized, trimmer face than rotties and mastiffs so not drooly, happy to exercise and happy to be a big ol' lap dog
[notify]
Nikolai

GOgoGogOGO

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 12:06pm PST 
All pit type breeds are off the table. They can be lovely dogs, but neither of us want to deal with the pitbull stigma and I'm not sure he'd be a good match for a staffie or pitty type. He needs and wants a mushy, soft, loves-everything, nonconfrontational type of dog. He is extremely soft handed. A terrier would walk all over him.

Edited by author Sat Dec 29, '12 12:10pm PST

[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 1:52pm PST 
Rottie? Bench Lab? Tell us more about your friend.....
[notify]
Alyssum

Dog O' Despair

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 2:20pm PST 
Unfortunately, several of his listed preferred characters are going to be hard to find together.

My ideal looking dog is the english shepherd. What is ideal for *me* is Alyssum, who is small, lazy, and super affectionate. Your friend needs to focus on personality and activity level rather than looks, and be willing to go with something a lot smaller if it will work for him. After all, I prefer 60+ pound dogs, always though 40lbs was my minimum.... and I am in my love with my 20lb dog.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 9:35am PST 
IDK, I think you can get all of those in an older Rottie, especially if partner is cool with rescuing.

An adult Rott who is mellowed can be a good couch buddy provided he gets SOME form of good exercise.

Most Rotts not bred for it don't have hardened, ultra aloof temperaments. Frankly, of the protection set, I'd say Rotties are one of the most extroverted. Can't say they "love everyone", but gentle and sweet can certainly fit their bill, and personally I've never met a Rottweiler who wasn't at least a LITTLE bit of a lush once you got to know them wink
[notify]
Nikolai

GOgoGogOGO

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:09am PST 
Mulder, a soft older rotty was what I was thinking, too. We're also thinking about danes and he likes greater swiss but I don't know much about them and I'm not sure he does either.

Alyssum- He wants a big chunky cuddly dog that he can roll around on and sleep with and wrestle. As fun as our little dog is, he wants a big. smile
The other aesthetic stuff, like drooliness and fluffiness, isn't that important.

More about him..
He works 5-7 days/week, usually around 10hrs per day but frequently longer. He thinks trained dogs are 'robots' and doesn't want to 'squash a dog's personality'. He thinks dogs can do no wrong and if they're snotty that's just who they are and it's ok because they're dogs and that's what dogs do. I drag him to the dog park but otherwise his idea of exercise is propping the door open so the dogs can run in the yard. He hates to even tell a dog 'no' and wants to be able to be 100% nice to a dog and have the dog be nice back.

I'll be around for the rules and structure side of things, but the less I have to do, the better.
Should also be noted, before any conclusions are jumped to, we own a house and two cars together, are essentially though not legally married, and I am around all day. His lack of time is only worth mentioning because a super active dog would be overwhelming for him.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:12pm PST 
O.o oh gosh, that pup is going to be SPOILED. Just reading what he doesn't like to do (reinforce and correct) worries me. But there are dogs that don't test you- my girl and breed just DO like crazy and it makes me go shock!! I know you're all about working and training Nikolai (and he clearly isn't a robot!) How do you feel about that? I'm just honestly curious, as the thought of a dog being allowed to run amuck makes me go !!!!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:54pm PST 
Um, have you considered a cat or two perhaps? They don't need to be walked or trained...Ideally they don't even have to go outside at all...if the litterbox is clean and the food bowl full you can work twelve hour days and they're fine. The best part is when you ARE home you can play with them or relax with a happy purring lap warmer...of course if you don't like cats that's okay too
[notify]
Bryce

blues- are- cool

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:26am PST 
a smooth coat collie?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3