GO!

How about putting some effort into choosing a dog? A rant.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:58pm PST 
If you're willing to meet me partway, I'm in San Jose and I can get the turtle into an experienced rescue. I have Sundays and Mondays off most weeks. Let me know and I'll get in touch with the rescue group.
[notify]
Kimiko

Barkster

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:51am PST 
Man, that's nuts. I've had friends who are 'good in a lot of ways', but the problem is that they were totally toxic in others. It sounds like she's trying to plug the holes in her life with cute pets she think will make her happy and then completely loses interest when the novelty wears of. Totally irresponsible and it certainly sounds like she doesn't even care and justifies what she does to herself.

You're really not going to be able to change that, either. That's for sure, considering everything was about how bad she thinks YOUR dog is when you tried to talk to her. Outrageous. And would her mother even take care of the puppy? Puppies are a major, major headache, especially if it wasn't your decision. Definitely nothing good for the pup, which she'll probably also just leave with her mother indefinitely considering she thinks her other cats are YOUR cats and insists on that delusion.

I hope you can find the rescue who gave her that pup. But just a thought. Is it possible that she picked the pup up somewhere else? Maybe even bought it from someone selling or pawning off puppies in the parking lot at that Petco and she either believed them lying about being a shelter or bought it and is lying about it coming from a shelter in order to look like she's doing the puppy a service by taking it in?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:33am PST 
hug

The truth hurts.

hug
[notify]

Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:58am PST 
I have had to report friends before as well. Living on 2 acres with 12 horses, 3 mini horses and 2 donkeys--3 cats and 3 dogs. This family is all unemployed and was still getting animals. I tore a strip out of them when I found every one of them with out water and the female dog with infected wounds. But they are older than me...know what they were doing, etc. I called the county.

I was sick to my stomach after the disagreement too but I compared it to ripping a bandaid off quickly...hurts but needed to be done. I felt better that I did what I could and now I was never going to be in contact with them again for my own sanity.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:10am PST 
Hmm... Noah's B'Ark is the group that does adoptions at the Rohnert Park Petsmart, I was there 2 weeks ago and they had a big litter of pups up for adoption.

Sorry your 'discussion' with her didn't go so well. You've done your best, people like that are just - ugh.

Sending bum scritches for Abner. smile
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:35pm PST 
Wshing you the best with a wacky situation. Sad to say sometimes we have to re-evaluate our friendships. Hubby had a friend who went to jail for what he did with his dogs...then to the hospital for what his dogs did to him. My husband for a variety of reasons stayed friends with him...I stay civil...but would I leave him alone with my dogs...not in a blue moon...
Maybe it's time for you to advertise fer a new roomate?
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:57pm PST 
One of my best friends is kinda like that but not quite to that degree. She has 5 dogs and does a great job with them and gives them everything they need. However, she's one of those wealthy people who goes through pets faster than toilet paper just to have them and to show off. A couple months ago she got 6 doves and after 2 days claimed to be allergic to them and was gonna let them go, but I convinced her to return them to the pet store. She came back from the store that very same day with 3 ferrets. She thinks that small animals don't require as much time and effort as dogs, so she just leaves them in the cages most of the time.
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 6:45pm PST 
hugI am sorry Abner.I hope everything works out.

My family & myself had to deal with a little bit of a similar situation. One of our previous neighbors was a family of 5 kids , who we were a bit close with & I used to be very good friends with one of the girls, and when we first moved in they had no animals but that soon changed. They really do love animals but they don't know how to care for them & they just keep wanting more! They got a lab mix puppy about 10years ago & they started out as good owners but soon he was an untrained mouthy mess. He grew up into a great dog but is very overweight. A few years after Shadow that got 2 kittens, again they started off great with them. But soon the cats just spent a lot of time outside without much attention. They complained all the time how the cats were peeing everywhere (only because their daughter was in charge of the litter boxes, and she did it one every 3 weeks!!!)So then they got another kitten who ended up dying suddenly of reasons I don't know. About a week later they got another one. Pee issues got worse. Oh & then there was Luke. The boxer mix pup we took in & placed with them thinking it would be a good fit (before we knew better). He never got enough attention, training, and stimulation & was a mess of a dog (who I loved dearly) who created a lot of trouble on our street. Poor dog would jump his fence and come in our house & when I had to take him home he would be so upset. frown Ontop of all this they had countless lizards, snakes & small mammals that they went through. Several ended up starving to death because it was the responsibility of their kids to take care of them & they never did.

About 5 years ago the parents got divorced & the woman left. The man was upset because she was the one who wanted all the animals so he kept the dogs outside basically all the time (which they were not used to!) and refused to let the cats inside. After several months of this the woman moved into a new house & took all the animals (they only had 2 cats at this time, one of the sister cats was hit by a car). However they did not try to transition the cats at all & just let them outdoors right away so their female (Clemy) kept coming back to the old house. Its a miracle she never got hit. The man decided to keep Clemy there, though he never let her back inside even when it was super cold. After about a year he decided to move which left Clemy's future up in the air. My mother always defends him & says that he talked to us about taking her but he never did. He just knew we would. So he left & we took her in. She was the best effing cat ever! Their lost. We sadly lost her over the summer due to cancer. frown

The entire situation was beyond frustrating & I found myself taking care of their animals more then them. The woman still has the 2 dogs, but last I saw them Shadow was heavily obese and unhealthy & Luke had awful untreated allergies and his behavior was horrid. And their poor cat baby was a matted mess of skin & bones. I pleaded with them to take all 3 to the vets but I don't believe they ever did. Sigh.

Edited by author Sat Dec 15, '12 6:48pm PST

[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:45pm PST 
Jasper- I appreciate it, but after several years I'm kind of attached. I have learned to take care of the little weirdo, and he's kind of ridiculous. Wouldn't have been my first choice, and I don't like being 'given' pets, but he's a good guy.

Thanks for the support, guys. I just don't even want to look at her right now. I'm so beyond upset with her still. Yesterday while driving I got this text out of nowhere:

"Dog has all vaccines and boosters thx"

The point is she had no idea she needed to get a dog vaccinated in the first place, not that it ended up the dog is ok.

Also, I didn't know it was possible for a dog to be fully vaccinated at 8 weeks! I really know nothing about puppies, so help me out here.

Ugh.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:11pm PST 
If the dog is only 8 weeks old she's lying.

Even for vaccine fanatics most vets won't administer a rabies shot until a pup is 16 weeks. My vet prefers 24-26 weeks (6 months) of age. A booster is given at 12 months.

The earliest parvo and distemper is typically given is 6 weeks, 9 weeks and 12 weeks. There's no way the pup has completed all 3 doses by 8 weeks of age.

Edited by author Sat Dec 15, '12 9:15pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4