GO!

How about putting some effort into choosing a dog? A rant.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:24am PST 
Hey Abner- was it the Santa Rosa Petco? The rescue looks to be Animal Rescue of Anderson Valley in Mendocino county. A lot of dogs from rural Lake and Mendocino counties are sent down to the Bay Area where they have a better shot at being adopted- there is a pretty big BYB mentality/overpopulation problem up there.

Anyway- rant away. Unfortunately I think just about everyone here probably knows someone who goes through pets faster than they go though toilet paper. Seems a lot of people like the idea of having a pet but not the long term work and responsibility that go along with it.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:38am PST 
Many people are dopes. I had a lady here at work last week who wanted a book on dog grooming. I asked her for what breed, because we didn't have any general texts and I thought a book on the breed might help. The whole time she is ranting about the cost of grooming, the dog being such a knucklehead and so hard to keep clean and such a mess.

Type of dog? Maltese.

Dumba**, why would you get a dog like that if you had problems with spending grooming bucks and didn't want to put in the time to brush it out daily? I wanted to say, but didn't. Nuts.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:42am PST 
I just peed.

Savvy you are seriously a hoot sometimes laugh out loud
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:55am PST 
Why fang you!

(Really, to make it even worse - she didn't want to check the book out but sat and browsed through it. Apparently a quick scan was enough to teach her all she needed to know. Poor dog.)
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:11pm PST 
Multi cats aren't that big a deal if she coughs up for catfood once in awhile but enough is enough. I personally would find a new home for Mr. Turtle and the puppy just no...a puppy is like taking on a human child...puppies and dogs are a lot of work and certainly not something you pick up during "retail therapy"...
Somebody has to put their foot down with this girl about critter collecting.
Sure we all want to save the world but like you say, too many mouths to feed and you can't give everyone quality time.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:41pm PST 
Savannah, my new doctor was telling me her experience home grooming her maltese yesterday... needless to say, she WON'T be doing that again!! It wasn't the money, she is new to the area and just hasn't found a groomer yet. Too far away for us, but I offered her some suggestions.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:44pm PST 
Well, I have to admit that I once thought I could groom my own Cocker. Not Cookie, but poor little Cotton.

In my defense, at least I learned fast. I only tried it once.

I'm hoping for the same lesson to be learned by my Maltese owner.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:50pm PST 
Yeah... I'd find out what rescue the puppy was from and tell them the situation, and I'd find the turtle an experienced turtle home too. As for the cats... Hard to say really.

I can absolutely relate. Why? My mother is much like this. She absolutely LOVES her pets and she certainly takes more care of them than your roommate, but they're spur of the moment decisions and she's NOT the best pet owner. I mean, her dog is great, but he NEVER got ANY exercise before she moved to her farm and now it's just because she lets him free-roam outside(he's allowed inside as he wants too of course)... And her cats? Ugh. Spur of the moment to get BOTH at the same time.

She almost got rid of her one cat the other day. Her reason? Grayson got locked in a bedroom once when she went to town for the day, something spooked him, he panicked, and he damaged his paw pads trying to get out of the room - he had chunks missing from his pads! And there was blood all over the place. He's been anxious ever since and because she has a baby gate at the bathroom where the litter box is to prevent the dog from eating litter, Grayson is terrified of going in there - he feels trapped. So... I suggested places to put the litter box that the dog doesn't go anyway and the cats could. "Oh, but the carpet!"... So get a rubber mat or a rug! Excuse after excuse, saying she was taking him to the shelter - alone, because 'they would separate the boys anyway'. No. Generally, they try to keep them together at the shelter here, but whatever. So then she says, "YOU take him then!" Yeah... Because I don't already have two dogs, two rabbits, and a snake. I'm pregnant and I can absolutely afford to bring in your anxious cat to boot. Yup. I already took one of their mess ups once(Maya) and I'll never be the person they can clean their hands off on again.

FINALLY... She moved the gate, calls me the next morning, "I found a way to move the gate so Grayson can get past it without jumping it." Good. There ya go. "There's no more poop or pee around the rest of the house and he's using the box again." HOW HARD WAS THAT!? I even suggested cutting a little cat hole in the gate, and "But Moonie jumps over it.." Ugh.

People truly... Truly irk me.

It's not hard to take proper care of your pets...

Or the friend with two babies(a two year old and a baby under six months), who got a second dog(IRISH SETTER PUPPY NO LESS!), had three cats, and got a rabbit for her little boy. WTF. Not only have her cats gone DAYS without a clean litter box, but the rabbit... Omg... Her rabbit would go for DAYS without ANY water at all, or food, or a clean cage. It was DISGUSTING. And the two year old was allowed to handle her, so he'd pick her up and throw her - no wonder she's terrified of people! I managed to get the rabbit out of there. One of the cats who had severe issues, ended up a barn cat when they moved and she disappeared. And the dogs? Well... They're doing great living on a farm where they moved, but they have to move back to the city for their little boy because of his disabilities - how often are those poor dogs going to get walked then? Never. And excuse after excuse for their behavior. Her older Shepherd/Collie can be fear aggressive with strangers. "Oh, she'd never bite anyone." Sure as heck, yes she would and she HAS tried! Ugh.

Sorry for the rant.

I just get it is all.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 1:49pm PST 
Oooh. I would be so pissed.

I agree with calling the rescue and letting them know what they've done. I would think, or hope, that these rescues and shelters would think twice once you tell them that they adopted out a dog who now lives in a bedroom in an unhealthy environment.

The rescue I got Mikey from did no check on me, at all. While I sat there getting to know Mikey, there was an older woman very interested in a small poodle mix. Hearing her talk, it sounded as if she'd never owned a dog before and asked if giving the dog cat food for a few days would be ok. The questions after that were just as dingy, but it looked as if she was going to leave there with a dog.
I gave myself a 3 day cooling off period before I picked Mikey up. They were totally willing to let me walk out with him that day.

wave And good to see you here again Abner.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:54pm PST 
wave Good to see you too! I do lurk here, I just haven't posted as much as of late.

So here's the deal. I tried having a conversation with her, and she completely attacked me, telling me what a horrible dog owner I am because Abner has car anxiety and how I never do anything about it (Umm, please.)

She said I have all the info in the world and Abner's still a s*** dog. UM, no.

I told her that even if I was a crud dog owner with info, it doesn't mean she should be one for the heck of it.

I tried to tell her it's HER responsibility to know what she needs to protect the dog from, and that it would be horrible to get a puppy and leave it with her mom for a month. She kind of guessed around as to what parvo might be, and told me that it wouldn't hurt the dog to leave it, but she's not travelling anyway. PROBLEM SOLVED.

We had a long talk about the bunny too. She's absolutely convinced it lives in the perfect bunny home now. I'm pretty convinced it's dead. She said it was in the food bin anyhow, so it would have died.

I'll admit, some moments in the conversation weren't my finest. It was not fun, and right now I don't even want to see her.

I ended up just breaking down after.

My friend is going to try to talk to her at least to help the ammimals. The puppy has a better chance at 8 weeks rather than in 8 months.

Dogsters, you give me hope for the world.

All I want to do is spend time with my flappy-jowled mutt.

I'm hoping this has a good ending.

Oh, and when I was like "YOU HAVE TOO MANY ANIMALS." she was like "I have one cat and one dog." ARGH!

Also also, she sounds like a horrible person, but she is pretty good in a lot of ways, clearly just not this one. At all.

ETA: It was SR Petco, or so I thought. I called both rescues that adopt out of there and they said it wasn't them. Maybe one of the Petsmarts? There are two here. I have no idea.

Edited by author Thu Dec 13, '12 7:55pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4