GO!

The Min Pin

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:27pm PST 
I'm thinking about offering to foster a Min Pin for a shelter that's dangerously close to having to put down dogs for space.

What can you guys tell me about them?

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24509984 - That's her.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:46pm PST 
when they're young they tend to be always on the go and getting into things and checking everything, but once they get past 3-4 years old they tend to become 'comfort hogs' - prefer to lay around all day under the warmest and softest place in the house. At 5-7 years old (as it says on the listing) i'd expect pretty much the same. small fast moving things still get their attention, as they were originally ratters, but the are quite biddable. ours is not but most we have met that have belonged to 'regular pet owners' have been grossly overweight, so i think it's fair to say they either like their food, or people like to spoil them (or maybe both). try not to do that party

and just pray that this one is housebroken - minpins can be holy horrors when it comes to that.

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 1:48pm PST

[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 2:04pm PST 
From my limited experience -my dad's girlfriend has a couple- I would describe them as some what terrier-like, loud, and difficult to house train (although toy breeds are often cited as difficult to house train, whether Min Pins are par for the course or more challenging I don't know.)

Given that they say she is house trained and reasonably good with other dogs, I would give her a shot. She is really cute- love those ears!
[notify]

Fynnigan

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 2:34pm PST 
I've only ever known them to be flighty, stubborn, barky and too smart for their own good.

Fynny has been no exception. He has two speeds, ON like donkey kong, and dead asleep.

He is the only one I've ever known to be good with other dogs, well housetrained and trustworthy off leash.

If she's good with other dogs and housetrained I'd say those are the two of your biggest battles and it's worth considering. Whether or not you should take her is all up to what you're inclined to appreciate in a dog though. Wouldn't hurt to go meet her and see if you click but most people I know that own them are a different breed of owner as they are usually anything but your typical snuggly mellow small breed lol
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 2:38pm PST 
I'm not going to keep her, I'm thinking about fostering so mostly I need to make sure she's not going to come in and raise beep. I have fostered from this SPCA before and don't fully trust that she's "good with other dogs", they've said that before and it wasn't true when I got the dog home.

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 2:38pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:00pm PST 
The only thing I've been able to glean about the two I know is they bark...and bark...and bark. And then they bark some more.

The two I know also aren't housebroken, despite being adults that have lived with their owners since puppyhood.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:14pm PST 
Mine is now 5 years old too, she likes to bark but they like to learn and are able to be taught to be quiet, so when she starts it's easy to make her stop.

She doesn't really like other dogs, but will tolerate them. when we go to dog parks she does her own thing and doesn't interact much besides a sniff. but they do need a lot of socialization to even achieve this, with less, I suspect some can be quite snippy and curt.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:14pm PST 
I have never met any personally, but this pretty much sums up what I have heard/read

http://www.digitaldog.com/dog_breed/Miniature+Pinscher
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:20pm PST 
if you're used to large dogs, or at least, having to train a dog and not pampering one, a minpin really isn't all that hard. of my 5 (now 4) dogs living together, she's by far the easiest one.
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 7:33pm PST 
My sister in law is fostering a min pin puppy. She is SMART, and she is OMG HIGH ENERGY!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2