GO!

Taping/gluing Aussie ears up?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 12:13pm PST 
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they would originally crop pit bull-type dogs' ears like that so that the dogs wouldn't go for each others ears in the fighting ring. Why they still do it... well, some people like that look. It's done surgically by a vet too (at least it should be! Anyone who cuts their dogs ears off with a pair of scissors is seriously messed up in the head!) but doesn't involve any taping afterward since there's really no ear left to tape.

I like a well-done cropping job, like on Dobes, and Schnauzers, but for pit bulls I'm not really a fan of the "no ear" look. On Cane Corsos though, I do like it. For me it just depends on the breed. smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 12:49pm PST 
Even the short cropped ones need tape to prevent the suture line from curling as it heals. Little known fact: you need to remove the tape EVERY DAY and peel the scabs off so they won't curl as they heal, then replace the tapes. Sounds VERY PAINFUL to me!!!
I like the erect ears but I'll take them on my Frenchies and GSD's so they don't need cropping.
MANY vets now refuse to crop ears so it has become more of a do it yourself procedure in many cases.

Edited by author Sat Dec 22, '12 12:51pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 2:21pm PST 
The more you learn~ smile I didn't know that the short ones needed tape too, although I did know about the scab peeling thing.
[notify]

Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:19am PST 
Don't worry about ear infections, if that's your main concern. Gunther not only has drop ears but they are engulfed in hair. I just make sure they're clean and no hair is obstructing the canal. He doesn't get ear infections, so I think your pup will be fine. He's adorable by the way.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3