GO!

Taping/gluing Aussie ears up?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Dublin Rose- O'Belle

Sugar Baby!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:34am PST 
My little Dubs had tiny little folded up ears when she was a pup. It was so adorable. But they stood up, and probably so will your pups when it is time. And if not, it will still be an adorable pup.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 11:44am PST 
Gluing ears and taping ears is different than cropping but if you're not doing conformation it really doesn't matter.

In general ears do not set until after teething with the cartiledge settling. If you want to up your chances give the pup something to gnaw on. Stronger jaw muscles usually helps with cartiledge formation.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 7:33pm PST 
From what I know about Aussies is that people don't generally fix the "hound" type ears as most taping and gluing is done to get the "button" type set (as opposed to the rose type). Most Aussie people I know would never tape for the "up" (prick) style ears...so I am not sure what you after.

Basically the hound ear is normally due to too large of ears (which happens more often in the MAS I've noticed) and tends to be genetic.

I personally won't tape my Aussies (despite by breeder sending tape lol!) as I like natural ears.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 10:03pm PST 
maggie, tikka and porter.. i supposed OP is attempting to tape/glue the ears to achieve standing rose or tipped ears instead of 'hound' (without lift) ears.

Edited by author Sat Dec 15, '12 10:06pm PST

[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 1:18pm PST 
Like others said, having hound type ears doesn't necessarily mean the dog will suffer from ear infections. That said, if you prefer the look of upright ears there's nothing wrong with taping- it doesn't harm the dog, and if you do it right it won't bother them either.

As for whether or not the ears stand, taping can help ears that were probably going to stand anyway and need a little extra help- but if genetics are set for hound ears, taping likely won't do any good. That said, you still have several months to go before you need to decide whether to tape the ears or not- ears do crazy things during teething! I've heard giving chews to work the jaws, cottage cheese for extra calcium, and supplementing food with knox plain gelatin during the teething phase are all supposed to support ear cartilage structure and growth during the teething period.

With my two littermates, one had prick ears by 12 weeks and they never tipped even in teething. The other had tipped ears until teething, and during that time they would alternate between one up-one down on either side, both up, and both down. I gave chews and cottage cheese and gelatin to him, but never taped them- and he ended up with one prick ear and one flopped ear. Even though it's not what I was hoping for (I wanted them both pricked), it suits his personality and I love him to pieces anyway- regardless of how your dogs ears turn out I'm sure you will feel the same way smile
[notify]
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 11:54am PST 
Thanks for the replies guys- I'll wait it out and see what happens. smile If ear infections have no play in this, his ears are perfectly fine for me. So far, his hound ears have actually risen a little since my first post, more or less.... left or right. They've been varying slightly day by day!

Also, who in the world started mentioning cropping??? .........BOL. Opheila, I'm fortunately not mad enough to want to CROP an AUSSIE'S ears!! laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Dec 21, '12 11:58am PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 6:15pm PST 
All apologies kidz, please enlighten me now...I really don't know much about dogs...I didn't realize the taping thing has nothing to do with cropping. I wondered about it actually...there's a min pin at the dog park who had this whole tape up number on his head and I really didn't know what it was. Taping doesn't hurt the dog then? It just changes their ear shape or something? Just curious...thinking
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:22pm PST 
wink Taping and training ears might be a tad annoying for the pups, but I wouldn't call it painful.

Some info for you:
Taping and bracing collie ears
Bracing puppy ears

I can see how you would be a little confused by it though, as cropped ears also need some attention (posting and taping).
Posting and taping Doberman ears
[notify]
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 11:18pm PST 
Taping/gluing allows a bit more control on how the dog's ears will end up as an adult (after the teething period) when the cartilage has hardened. smile There's no pain involved, except for inconvenience for the handler. The concept is similar to.... if your parents ever put a little piece of tape on your eyelid for a couple hours a day when you were little to help create a double eyelid? After awhile, the wrinkle on the eyelid becomes permanent after "training"....
...No? Just me? Ah... laugh out loud
Ahem, anyway....

Cropping on the other hand requires a vet that is experienced in the job. It's a procedure that involves snipping off the edge of a dog's ears, thus surgically creating a desired shape. The wounds are stitched and bound for a few weeks until they've recovered. Then for a few months afterward, the ears must be taped upright until the cartilage hardens, the same concept as taping an Aussie or Collie's ears. Dobermans, for example, unfortunately must be surgically cropped if the owner desires standing ears, because their natural hound ears are too large to result standing with just taping alone.

In a nutshell!

Edited by author Fri Dec 21, '12 11:21pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:48am PST 
Interesting, thank you...sounds humane and simple smile
In comparison we live bordering big city and you see dogs of alot of different breeds, dobies and pibbles mostly, that look like someone just took a pair of kitchen shears to them...n probably didshock
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3