GO!

Breed Match (Tillers help wanted!)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Jake

ain't nothin'- but a hound dog

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 5:10pm PST 
I’m looking for my ideal dog breed. Everyone’s opinion is appreciated.

Here are my criteria:

Size: Any size. I actually would like if you could give me breeds of different sizes not just one if possible.

Training/Intelligence: I want a dog that is eager to please and responsive. I plan on doing quite a bit of training and I would love to teach him tricks and things to keep him mentally stimulated. At least of average intelligence, so basically able to learn but more importantly willing to learn!

Energy/Exercise: I do not want a dog that is hyper or seems to have ADD! I realize puppies are like this but then mellow out as adults for the most part but some breeds do not seem to ever calm down. I am willing to give any amount of exercise needed. I would be ok with having a dog that needs more than average exercise and will mellow indoors just as long as they aren’t constantly bouncing off the walls.

Playfulness/Affection: I would love to have a dog that always sticks by my side, a “Velcro dog” that simply wants to be close to me and perhaps cuddle as well, definitely not an independent dog. A dog that would like to play is nice not necessarily a dog that could play fetch all day long but at least not one that will look at me like “are you goanna get that?” if I toss a ball. I would like to take my dog to the occasional weekend outing like to the beach or the park so if he enjoyed doing that with me that would be great.

Shedding/Grooming: I prefer a dog that does not require getting regular hair cuts but it is not critical. Also I would prefer not to have hair everywhere all the time, average shedding is fine but constant is not ideal.

Good with kids/pets/strangers: I plan on doing extensive socializing and training with my dog so if the breed can be trained to tolerate kids, pets and strangers (which I think almost all can) than that is fine. They don’t need to love kids/pets/strangers but if they do that is just fine too.

Any other areas that I have missed please let me know and I will address them.

I have been doing a lot of researching already and the dog breeds I have come up with so far are Papillions, English Springer Spaniels and Doberman Pinschers.

Please let me know your thoughts smile
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 5:45pm PST 
I have to say that your requirements describe my Golden, Star, perfectly (i do not always recommend Goldens but you have described my dog!)

Star is a regular sized (by AKC standards) golden at 56 lbs. She is 21.5 inches tall so she is not too big. This is the typical size for well bred goldens. Star is half "field golden" and half "bench golden". This basically means that her dad was a grand champion (AKC) and not bred to hunt while her mother was a champion (AKC) but was bred from hunting lines and has hunting titles. This combo resulted in a dog who wanted to work with an eager to please attitude, a nice looking dog, and a dog who is happy to settle down and chill.

She is a therapy dog and is wonderful with other animals and people (we did a lot of socialization) but is also fine with being left alone. Star will play fetch for about 20 mins and then she gets bored and wants to do something more stimulating (like hunt or find things). She loves the beach, swimming, and long walks.

As for grooming, Goldens do shed but I have found that with Star (note she does not have an extensive amount of feathers) I can brush her 1x a week and there is very little hair left in the house, it also keeps her feathers from matting up. Goldens really do not need any extensive grooming so long as you keep up with them.
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:53pm PST 
Thanks for your input! I'll look into Goldens dog
[notify]

Jake

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:58pm PST 
Tiller won't help me... I wonder why shrug
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:53pm PST 
Oh dear....I didn't see! I am eating my dinner right now. I promise I'll be back!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:48pm PST 
Training/Intelligence: There is such a thing as training intelligence, which means the dog will train readily, easy and happily. There also are other sorts of intelligence, which are very impressive but can bring about problems with a dog who is always one step ahead of you. Do you feel a dog can be TOO intelligent? Or would you gladly burden greater challenges and have a total brainiac?

Energy: There actually are two sorts of energy....indoor and outdoor. So I have two questions. One, in your IDEAL, how active is the dog inside? Do busy dogs bother you? It's fine if they do wink If you had your ideal, would it be as mellow as possible, or are you just trying to avert a "bounce off the walls" type? As far as exercise....in your perfect world, how much a day (meaning minutes) would you like to be exercising? And would it be once a day, or multiple times?

Affection: Would you mind needy? Clingy? Is that too much?

Sociability: Given your CHOICE, what appeals to you more - one personish, or more socially open. Would an "everyone's new best friend" bother you?
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:35am PST 
I believe I’m looking for a dog mainly with good training intelligence. It’s not that I don’t think I could handle a brainiac, I just realize that they take quite a bit of work which I ideally don’t think I would want. I do enjoy dogs that seem to be intuitive and know how you are feeling. I’m not sure what type of intelligence that is but I do like that as well.

For indoor activity I would simply like to avoid the constantly busy, “bounce off the walls” type which I’m not particularly fond of laugh out loud As far as exercise I would give somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour each day. It could be once a day or twice a day either would be fine. Mind you that is my ideal maximum if the breed would only need a 30-minute walk once a day I would be just as happy with that. So, in a perfect world, my dog would need an hour or less of exercise each day.

I would not mind a dog that is needy and clingy. I would actually enjoy it. smile

A dog that is more of a one-person type is what I would want. Basically, I would like him to at least tolerate or maybe even like other people just as long as he would like me best big grin
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:05am PST 
I've been fostering an Aussie mix and I've been very impressed with him! He's a nice 43lbs, he needs to be brushed a couple times a weeks and is very quick to pick up training. I don't know if he's typical though. shrug He does have some energy, if I don't get him out enough he'll lay around the house but then jump up everytime I get up and follow me around. I try to walk him twice a day and run him twice a week and so far that's doing the trick for him.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 9:52am PST 
I guess it depends on how far you walk in an hour, but a Golden should get a bare minimum of 2 hours a day, and when grown, some good hard running. You seem to want a dog with very minimal exercise requirements. Could you bike with a dog instead? Would you be playing fetch and swimming the dog at all?

Perhaps a Papillon?
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:13am PST 
Good point Dr. Watson. When I said I would exercise him for an hour I meant an hour of serious vigorous exercise like biking or running in a large enclosed area. I would provide other exercise throughout the day such as regular walks and such as well.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4