GO!

Rough Collie vs. Bernese Mountain Dog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:40pm PST 
What other sorts of dogs vibe with you? To be honest your requirements are fairly general, as long as you have a stable personality with socialization and training, which you will provide. If you're looking at Berners and Collies I say stick to those- too many choices can confuse you! laugh out loud They speak to you for a reason, I think.

But I suppose if I had to offer a couple up... a golden? Sweet, stable, good with kids, good off leash recall, loves the outdoors and training. Assuming they're well bred of course. That's another dog with just so much sparkle, it's easy to see why they're so popular.

And BTW- do LOVE the collie. I don't know that I'd ever be able to provide a great home for one, we come and go a lot, but that sparkle and trainability and that COAT. Goodness! It's terrible, but while smooth collies are lovely I just... there's something about a rough. Ah well. I can fantasize?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:53pm PST 
It's not like I often recommend this breed to anyone....they are mentored breed of mine and pulled out of the fire in terms of how much they got ruined....but what about an Irish Setter? That would be quite a breath of fresh air for you laugh out loud They are as social as dogs come. Life is a party, they love EVERYONE. Fantastically dog social, they are major time charmers and just fun to bring to less familiar houses. They LOVE adventure! Your lifestyle description makes me think of them....they would think that was a gas! They are extremely, extremely gentle and adore kids.

Because you like the Pit Bull thing, similarities are that they are sort of always there in an enthusiastic way and have LOTS of vigor. They are one of the most fun and charming dogs you can be around, with a very unique character....sort of gentlemanly and party-ers at the same time. Effervescent, if they see you in the dumps they will just go to work cheering you up. Free spirited. Love life.

You didn't mention trainability. Had you, I would have paused. They have the capacity to be very well trained and very reliable, but they are inveterate free spirits who think keeping your mind on one thing for five minutes is an utter waste of the total minute allotment you have on earth wink laugh out loud But if you approach them the right way, they do great.

They need LAND....and you have that. If an Irish gets in a daily gallop, that is what he needs. It helps level them off and then they are what they are supposed to be. I say this because perhaps you may have known some in your childhood who were neurotic, but that is not them at all. And the fun part is that they are such marvelous dogs to go on a stroll with. They are very beaming and while grand gallopers don't let you get out of sight. This is a very, very, very loyal breed. Often don't transfer well to new owners (I would suggest getting a puppy, particularly in that genetics in this breed matter heavily), and while they are monstrously social never let you feel any less than you are their special person. When you get one that is well-bred, this is a ridiculously long lived breed.....for their size, seventeen years is not unheard of.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:36am PST 
Miyu -- not sure really... I guess excessive energy level is not something I could do at this point. I can get in regular exercise, but I can't offer what something like a GSP, Weim, or Malinois might need. We do walks around the neighborhood, as well as outdoor time on our lot of 2 acres, which includes jumping around in the creek. We also frequently take the dogs to my in-law's house, they have 15 acres of land and trails in the woods where they run after the 4 wheelers a lot, and swim in the pond, but this would be a once a week, once every 2 weeks sort of thing as far as that goes. I also have a bicycle attachment that I use with my other dog Guster. So those are some examples of the type of exercise I can offer that fits around the kids.

Tiller -- I never even contemplated an Irish Setter. I did a quick Google -- they are very striking and pretty, and while still needing regular brushing could be an easier coat to manage than a RC. The dog sociability is hugely attractive to me. Again I would have no idea where to begin looking for one of these near me but I have quite a bit of time to figure that out...!
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:25pm PST 
Put them on your list! They have the bombproof aspects you are looking for in terms of their sociability. A properly bred Irish has not an aggressive bone in his body, nor when properly bred and raised are they anything but outgoing. Not "homebodies," either, which the two to start this post are, as per their farm dog origins. The Irish is all about experience and adventure, so it's pretty hard to see them ever socially overwhelmed wink

You are in a hot spot....the east or thereabouts (unless you've moved)....as regards breeders. Several I could connect you with if that's the way you decided to go when the time comes. Going to meet them at shows would totally end it for you....they are far from sparing with their charm wink
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 3:25pm PST 
Nope, haven't moved, I am still in Buffalo NY/Western New York. I'll make sure I get in touch when the time comes.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:58pm PST 
I know what you mean on the exercise. I think sometimes with dogs like the ones you mentioned, even with how much land you have... they consume your life. If that's what you're looking for that's fine, but... as much as I love dogs, that's more than I'd be willing to commit to. Ironically I met my first pet Malinois today, and he was beautiful and had a great temperament, outgoing and social and FRIENDLY. But he practically VIBRATED, that boy had so. much. energy. Jeesh, haha!

Tiller as always gives excellent advice! big grin Haven't been fortunate enough to meet an Irish, but if and when you do decide to go that route... let us know. They seem incredible. Sorry I couldn't give more advice!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2