GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 11 of 11: Viewing entries 101 to 107)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:01pm PST 
If you haven't already, please check out Why Judging People Who Bought Their Dogs Does More Harm Than Good, a rebuttal to Segura's post.

And don't furget that we're always looking for writers from among the Dogster Community!

If you would like to share an intensely personal story about life with your dog(s), send an email to confessatdogsterdotcom.

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 4:07pm PST

Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:20pm PST 
If you put some thought into it and made the choice you feel is best for your family, then it doesn't matter much to me where you got your dog.

But if yesterday your small child told you he/she wanted a puppy for Christmas, and so today you're calling everywhere to ask if you can get one before Christmas (not because you want a puppy, but because you must buy your child everything he/she asks for) then I do have a problem with that. Especially when you've never had any desire to have any kind of pet before. And yes, that really happened. silenced
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:33pm PST 
A little late to the discssion, but what the heck.

This article ruffled my every feather. I have put so very much time, effort, love, and money into rescue over the years. I mostly foster unweaned kittens...I tried fostering through an organization for awhile, but they were VERY reluctant to let my kittens go to the vet, even when thy NEEDED it...I am certain that several of the kittens I fostered died due to the rescue's unwillingness to let me get them vetted...so now I do it all on my own. My last foster needed his eye removed, which came out of my own pocket. I also foster the occasional dog. It sometimes takes an incredible amount of work to get a foster dog adoptable. My last foster dog was a rat terrier who bit someone so badly they needed stitches the day she came to me. I was VERY lucky to find an adopter who had a TON of experience with the breed and was up for the challenge of a project. Even after several months of work, she was not an ideal dog.

I have three rescue dogs who were ALL problem dogs. Jasper didn't necessarily have any specific issues, but I specifically said I was looking for a senior dog. I don't know who evaluated Jasper when he arrived, but he was marked as being 8-10 years old. He's the first dog I've ever chosen for myself, and I really didn't have a good idea of how to judge his age at the time. Within a few weeks I learned that he was acutally not even full grown, so I got the entire puppy experience when I didn't want it.

Wilbur was chosen by family members when I wasn't there. The rescue had only had him for a few days. He has some very old injuries which our vet thinks may have caused some brain damage. I can't adequately describe the ways in which he's not quite "right"...he almost seems autistic. He's sometimes dog aggressive and very unpredictable. He's also never had full control of when he urinates. We eventually had the entire house stripped of carpet to accomodate him.

Star is...A bundle of issues wrapped in a blanket of issues. We got her as a fairly young puppy from a rescue, and as she hit maturity her aggression started to emerge. Her SA is so severe that she once chewed her way out of a solid wood door, breakong off three of her canine teeth in the process. She's human aggressive and at times VERY hard to handle. We worked with a behaviorist who has a lot of experience with coyote hybrids, which is what he believes her to be. Eventually we had to accept that we would never be able to eliminate her aggression, we just have to manage it. We've been managing Star's issues for over a decade, and it's been exhausting.

For my next dog, I don't want a project dog. I don't want to start with a puppy fron unknown lineage and find out that they are aggressive when they hit maturity. I don't want to get a "Surprise! Your dog will never EVER be fully housebroken!". I don't want to go looking for a mellow senior and wind up with a drivey puppy. I'm tired of it. I love my dogs, and I don't regret adopting any of them, but I'm ready for dog who is mentally sound from the start, and who will have the characteristics I want in a companion.

I'll probably never stop fostering (though I've long since run out of money) but I want to find my next dog through a breeder. If this makes me a bad person in the eyes of some finger-wagging twit, so be it. I wonder how much time, effort, love and money the author of that article has put into rescue, besides adopting her cats. She sure doesn't mention any fostering, volunteer work, etc...
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:24pm PST 
I just now read that blog. That woman is young and naive writing about something she has no experience in. Nice.
When she has a few life experiences, dog related or not, then maybe what she writes will have some depth to it.

And just to be super shallow. Her writing is high school level at best. (If she is a high schooler, I didn't read that she was).

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 10:30pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:47pm PST 
I don't believe it. Something worth reading in the Dogster "Magazine."
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 10:11pm PST 
It really doesn't matter if you are going to adopt a dog or buy a dog. What's important is that you take good care of him for his whole life and not just in the beginning. I skimmed the article and she seemed very judgmental at best. She has her opinions, we have ours too. She shouldn't be judging everyone just because we don't see eye-to-eye with her in that situation though.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:04am PST 
I think Tiller and others hit the nail on the head . . .. the biggest problem is a disposable dog mentality.

I have friends that aren't as obsessed as I am with training perhaps but that would move heaven and earth to take care of their dogs and cats--they are truly part of the family and then know others at the other end of the spectrum who got a dog or cat very cavalierly (dog off Craig's list) and put that much thought into their care--the pet is an accessory, walking furniture . . . . at the first inconvenience, illness or bit of cat puke on the carpet---oops that one didn't work out!

Some people, of course, will never be pet appropriate, but I think a great majority would enjoy their pets more with a little more education and training and support. The campaign to advocate for animals would be well served to emphasize a pets for life mentality and where to get help and support . . .
[notify]
  (Page 11 of 11: Viewing entries 101 to 107)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11