GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 9 of 11: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:17am PST 
I just got around to reading the article myself. The whole way through I pictured some wild eyed fanatic tapping away at her keyboard, ranting to whoever would listen and with that glazed look that makes people want to test their sprinting abilities at a hundred paces ....

I was trying to think of a witty, clever, multi syllabic word to describe that one, but all that came to mind was crap. laugh out loud Fits, though.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:23am PST 
Controversial articles get the click throughs. THAT'S about the advertising dollars. I'm on several other forums and this business model is becoming the same practically no matter what site I'm on.

I also think that this type of inflammatory content can be annoying. On the other hand, there are times where it sparks a worthwhile debate/discussion.

Tiller, I agree. A rescue's focus shouldn't be just on the number of dogs saved, but the lives they live with their adopters afterwards. When faced with the sheer numbers of dogs on death row, I totally get where the instinct comes from to pull as many and as fast as possible. A successful match is ofcourse the key and that's not easy because as we know what some people think they want in a dog isn't always the case especially with new dog owners. (That can certainly happen with a purchase from a breeder as well, though). Pre-adoption screening is tricky and unfortunately some rescues don't/can't/won't put enough resources in to that part of the process. But that is what gets the longterm results that are best for rescue in general: the word of mouth of a happy adopter who is proud of their great rescue dog.

Edited by author Thu Nov 15, '12 7:24am PST

[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:22am PST 
Farley, there is a very nice GSD in cranbrook too. People involved in dog sports have visited and say she would be great. smile
[notify]

Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:24pm PST 
@Samson, I have to agree articles like this shouldn't be published both online or in print.

I know one retired breeder who over the years has eaten a lot of crow from people like this writer.

I read about one journalist in L.A. who wanted a dog and nearly every person he ran into told him to adopt a dog, well he tried and he still doesn't have a dog!

Here's something I came across on Dogster back in August.

Q. Dog Dilemma: Last week, my team went out to lunch for a fundraising debriefing meeting. We are five women who get a long for the most part. I'm the youngest, without children/marriage. My boyfriend and I are getting a dog and at the lunch, when we were eating, people asked to see pictures of the puppies we were going to be choosing from. I shared. Another co-worker then asked how much we were going to be paying, as it is a purebred. I don't like to discuss money and believe it's a personal matter how one spends it. I told them I'd rather not say. My co-worker then almost threatened me, saying she would find out anyway, so it was my choice to tell her then or not. I didn't know how to respond and everyone else went quiet, so all I could ask was please respect my wishes. To my surprise on Sunday, my BOSS (not the other co-worker) texted me the amount of the dog with a bunch of "!?!?!" Meaning she went behind my back and matched the pictures I shared with the breeder's listing/website and asked the price. I didn't know how to respond and am offended. This could make my life miserable here/hurt my career, as we all work for a non-profit that helps disadvantaged families. Also, it's almost all women—up to 300, who really like to gossip. The managers all make a pretty penny (or so it seems by their clothing, cars, etc.), but I don't ever ask what they paid for anything and up until now never judged. How do I confront my boss on this? I thought it was going to be the other co-worker, but my boss?! Help. I really feel it is none of their business and this felt malicious.

A: Oh, the wrath of the self-righteous do-gooders. You're right, your choice of pet is none of their business. The only way their snooping would be at all justified would be if you worked for an animal rescue organization. Your boss was way out of line, and in a calm, polite way you need to call her on it. You don't want to make this a confrontation, but you are within your rights to draw a line around your personal life. Say you'd like to talk to her for a few minutes, then explain you understand that many people believe strongly in adopting only from shelter animals. You have nothing but respect for those who do, but this was a highly personal choice you made and you were dismayed to get an email at your home rebuking you for your choice of pet. Keep the conversation short. And if you find you are being punished for the dog you've bought, I hope there's a higher up you can bring this to.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 1:06pm PST 
Bahaha. Farley, trust me, it's just as much torture for me. I live in the same province as you too, about three hours south. wink
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:07pm PST 
Charlie and Farley, ditto. Stop I have enough in this area.

Road trip? Anyone?
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:19am PST 
Ooohhh... If only I could! I would, I soooo would. I'd love to get a Shepherd.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 5:48am PST 
@ Stella- EWH! What kind of breeder has pictures of puppies and the prices listed below the pictures?

And I got my last puppy from a breeder, (a very good one shows, titles, health tests, herds etc etc) so I'm not judging from that perspective.
[notify]
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:57am PST 
I don't think the breeder had the price listed below the photo, in the Q & A the woman's boss apparently found a photo matching the ones her employee had shared. Once she tracked down the breeder's website she got the contact info and asked for the price of the pups.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 3:42pm PST 
Stella, that is none of the Boss's business. Like....... she needs to get her boss's approval? I would be "How Dare She". I don't know if I could work for someone that gets into my personal life like that. Although, I know with the economy the way it is right now, some of us don't have a choice. We are not children, and if we want advice we will ask for it. Who the heck is she?! It's not even me and I'm mad about it. I hope she was able to set her boss right? confused
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 11: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11