GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 11: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:36am PST 
applauseapplause Very well barked, Tiller
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:46am PST 
This is from my comment on the article:
"Wow. Congrats on getting it wrong. I have to take issue with almost all of the author's points.

#1 "I Grew Up With..." - You imply that knowing what one wants and what one is familiar with is a fault. It's not rocket science to conclude that those who know the breed and what to expect from it might actually be good pet owners. Educated owners who buy from good breeders are not contributing to the plight of shelter dogs.

#2 ."I Want to Train... from a Young Age" - Again, being a responsible owner and choosing a dog and breed which enjoys activity and competition, then training them to do so is a bad thing? Are puppies available in shelters? Certainly. Are healthy puppies with proven backgrounds available? Occasionally maybe, but not in my experience.

#3 "I Want to Know What Kind of Personality..." - I have two words for this: Breed Characteristics.... If the author can't recognize that different breeds have different traits, there's no point in continuing.

#4 "My Friend Once Adopted an Aggressive Dog..." - Again, choosing a good dog from a good breeder isn't magical, but a good breeder has a fair idea of what they're expecting from a particular littler. Can the temperament of a dog be predicted absolutely? Of course not; but breed, bloodline, and individual characteristics aren't entirely random either.

#5 "I want to Breed My Dog..." - I agree. This is a lousy reason to buy a dog, and no reputable breeder will sell one to a stranger for that purpose.

Megan, breeders are like shelters and rescues - some are very good and some are very bad. Painting all with the same brush accomplishes nothing; in fact, it alienates the very people you want on your side - fellow animal lovers."

Dogster wanted a discussion... they certainly got one. laugh out loud
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:48am PST 
Tiller, as always: applause

If I ever grow up, I want to be just like you!
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 11:01am PST 
Yes, Tiller!
I definitely agree with your 'disposable dog' theory.
My friend bought a kitten, had her for two weeks and then gave her away because she 'didn't have any personality'.
And before the kitten was even gone she was looking for another to get!
Animals aren't like candy, you can't keep trying them until you find the perfect one..
For as long as people think they can get rid of a dog when they're bored of it, we will have this problem. frown
[notify]

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 12:15pm PST 
Thank you Tiller & Titus, for your comments on the article.

I absolutely despise it when people go off like that, 'pointing their finger' and judging, when they know absolutely NOTHING about what is going on. It IS attitudes like that which make me for one (and I am sure others) want to wash my hands of rescues and shelters and buy my next dog (from a good breeder, of course). So I really do thank you, because it is reasonable, thoughtful comments like those of yours that make me believe in adopting again.

Also, completely agree with the theory that it is the MINDSET that needs to change. Animals are not disposable, they are a responsibility and a part of the family. My father has been trying to get me to get rid of my dog (a rescue, btw) because he thinks he is too much trouble...he is of the mindset that you just get rid of whatever gives you the slightest problem. Throughout my childhood, he got rid of every animal he got me (we moved a lot, so that was his excuse). Now he is frustrated because I'm an adult, I don't live with him, and he can't get rid of my dog (though he has tried).(Btw, I love my dad, so please no cracks at him, just used that as an example.) Point being, it really is how people view animals as disposable, or playthings. They are living creatures that deserve to be treated with respect, not passed around from home to home...or worse...when someone decides they don't like it anymore.

Dahlia, I concur with the grade.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 1:03pm PST 
I wish the "magazine" would either go away or they'd require only well-researched, well-written articles.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 1:24pm PST 
Tiller sez: "The very WAY we make BYBs and mills look bad is by....hello?....contrasting them to responsible breeders. They are the good guys."

Sure. Except that the responsible breeders aren't doing enough of that "contrasting" stuff. For example, every time any legislation is introduced to regulate the breeding industry, they jump in bed with the BYB's and puppy millers. The very ones that ought to be the enemy of the responsible breeders, along with the rescue advocates. AKC, same thing. Makes it kinda hard for the GP to tell the "good guys" from the "bad guys."
Buster

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:17pm PST 
There is nothing wrong with going to an ethical breeder. It's a wonderful thing to rescue a dog but people should not be guilt tripped into buying from a good breeder. A puppy mill or a BYB yes, if you want one of their puppies go to a shelter they're full of them. The good breeders aren't causing the rescue problems they will have a puppy back or help rehome them.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:22pm PST 
Well, guess what? I could care less if people judge mesmile

I know all about disposable dogs, I currently have 2 of them. In my lifetime I have had 5 other dogs, all of them either rescues or re homes. I support my local shelter any way I can and will continue to do so.

However, there is a high probability that my next dog will be a purebred from a reputable breeder. That is because I am looking for specific things in my next dog and want the reputable breeder experience. Just once in my life, I want a dog picked for me and my life, not a dog that I have had to adapt my life to, and I make no apologies for that smile I do refuse to buy from a byb breeder or puppy mill and will continue to educate people away from that.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 3:10pm PST 
Who are "they," though? I think that's casting too wide a brush. If there is to be a sense of community on these issues, one needs to underscore "only the very best." Do you think that is Toto has been lobbying, in example? I highly doubt it. I would assume you highly doubt it also wink

So props to Toto. Who is a great breeder. And yet, I am sure she has had her share of upsets despite all that she does. But we can't expect her to be a Swami. There comes a time where the blame has to fall on the ultimate shoulders to which it fairly belongs....CASH CROPPING breeders and the DISPOSABLE dog mentalities. Those are roots of this problem.

The AKC is of course behind a lot of that lobbying. Guilt by association perhaps, but it's also by some views the only gig in town. Not only to show your dog, but they are in contact with breed committees to fund health research, and perhaps most importantly have created programs to help enhance the bond and inspire others to enter into the dog ownership the right way and to expand their investment and experience via the CGC program, etc. Their pet ownership programs are strong, inspiring the right ethics about the bond and joys of owning a dog. So they totally suck eggs on one hand, but other directives are extremely important. Click on their main site and they have an entire section devoted to pet owners (real and prospective)....breed education, responsible breeder resources (as deemed by the breed club), guidelines for health care and responsible ownership, info on how to get involved in titling and dog events, a kid interactive section. And of course lotsa lobbying links wink The UKC has an entire section devoted to lobbying, and minimal pet education. They may seem more credible and to some extents are, but cater to things such as the hound culture (yikes on that one!, lol) and aren't on a par with the AKC as regards pet owner education. So there is your grey area. If I had to vote, I would say the AKC sucks. But were they not to exist? I only need say DOODLE! laugh out loud The AKC not standing up has diminished their credence. But it is that lack of credence that has been a boon to the BYB industry, and overtaken a rather gullible public. Make of that what you will.

Beyond this, there is a challenge, controversial though it may be, and enough to give the author of the Blog thingie a heart attack. How controlled must responsible breeders due to the S/R crisis? What does that obligate them towards? I am comfortable with saying some breeders don't love dogs, only their breed. Some breeders are elitist and don't like mutts. Like at all. Does that weird me out? ***Absolutely.*** But is there some obligation for them to care? I don't think we can DEMAND breeders look past that. We can HOPE they do, but we cannot demand it. I mean, I don't think anyone should shop at Walmart. I will give my speech that America is falling as we stop supporting the mom&pop's and let our own bottom lines fate us to some corporate controlled empire to the death of small, tightly knit communities that are America personified. Sooo....I forbid you ALL, right here and right now, shopping at Walmart EVER! Because families are getting ruined! Communities are collapsing! And it is on you, you, YOU!

Ok, so I am not going to say that really laugh out loud You want your Peter Pan Crunchy at a good price. I get that. Enjoy!

Some may say that is different, but at least by some counts, it's not. You have your dollars to spend, and if you are a chain junkie and that is where you do your spending, then it is directly affecting the ability of mom&pop's to survive. On one hand, just in drop in the bucket, but given enough complacency we will all be controlled by corporate America, given time. Some will say they don't give a flip, some will sigh understandably but do not really want to alter, and some will be enlightened and will.

I think it can extend. The incidence of breeder performed pediatric speuters is increasing. I get why. However, a lot of breeders feel this is not to the benefit of their dogs. They would prefer a later spay. That is their right. Because dogs are dying in shelters does not necessarily equate with speutering a nine week old puppy, if you have limited reg, speuter contract, screen homes. And feel in your heart and gut that it is not in the best interest of your puppies. Perhaps it is in the better interest of the S/R crisis, but if you are scrutinizing your buyers, have an application and approval process, sell on limited reg or without papers until a speuter is done, perhaps that is enough. We can talk about ethics, but obviously a breeders #1 concern is the welfare of their puppies. If they in their heart believe pediatric speuters are the way to go, it is their right.

That they care to the utmost about THEIR dogs is the most we can reasonably expect.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 11: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11