GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:03am PST 
The Dogster Blog has featured an article/editorial by Megan Segura, If You Bought Your Dog, I'm Judging You. I believe this article is quite divisive to the Dogster community, and I am quite upset by it. Saddened, in fact, as the owner of one breeder dog, 3 adopted dogs, and one foster failure shelter dog. I plan on getting an excellent puppy next from an ethical breeder in a few years, and I feel zero guilt about this.

Any thoughts?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:22am PST 
I responded, which I hardly ever do.... the author's numbered points are silly at best, and easily rebutted... she doesn't take into account a TON of reasons for soundly and ethically bred dogs. I guess I could see her viewpoint if I only knew people who bought dogs from crappy backyard breeders or puppy mills, but she either is just ignoring the other side of the card or just doesn't know about it at all. A bit ridiculous and only serves to alienate a large group of dog owners from her cause, not lure them in.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:26am PST 
I could hardly read the so-called *article. I detest close-minded zealots in any arena..but this was so over the top & totally unbalanced. I have one rescue and one pure bred..from a GASP...breeder. There are so many reasons people will choose a breeder and I do not find fault with anyone who chooses to go that route. Yes, please go to a reputable breeder who is trying to improve the breed, or at the least, maintain the integrity of the breed.
Her statement about temperament was total hogwash! A breeder does have an idea of what the dogs' temperament will be.
Fine pure breds in rescue? Yes, there are purebreds in rescue, but you usually have no history and could end up with a dog with many issues.
I can not believe Dogster cares so little about the Community these days. How else do you explain the unbelievably insulting things that pertain to hundreds, if not thousands of Dogsters who have bought from breeders, or actually breed themselves?
They should change the motto from "for the love of dogs" to "we'll *Say what we want, but don't take offence" confusedshrug
[notify]

Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:32am PST 
Of course that did run as part of their "Confessions" series, which are just personal stories and quirky editorials. Same series where they ran articles about someone "chucking" a raccoon down a river, and someone that got rid of their dalmatian that bit a child.

Not that I would presume to speak for Dogster HQ, but I don't think those "Confessions" are supposed to represent their position or advice. In fact they did run an article about what Dogster HQ believes, and one of their stated positions was supporting shelter & rescue adoptions, AND responsible breeders. Dogster's EIC Janine recently ran an article about how she found a responsible breeder.

I do kind of think the articles in "Confessions" are interesting conversation starters sometimes...for the very reason of being controversial...
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:53am PST 
Well controversial it is, Duncan. shock

And I do believe, to each her own, but I also believe "cast the first stone."

Only one of my 3 rescued dogs has been healthier. 2 of my 3 breeder dogs have been healthier, so it's not much of a tradeoff. But my breeder dogs have been much less of projects. Not that I would trade them, but helping 2 DA dogs and a timid dog takes a lot of time from the other.thinking That's one reason I want a breeder dog next, and another is that I want to do a dog sport. My rescues cannot do dog sports for a number of reasons.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:02am PST 
In a lot of ways, I kind of agree with her...I think a lot of people get the idea of getting a "fancy" dog and go out to buy one. Not your typical dogster person, but we have all seen examples of new owners of some kind of ungodly hybrid who thinks they have a furry miracle of some kind.

And don't get my wrong - I am a serial adopter myself. But I have one purebred bought from a breeder dog, and can imagine going that route again for the one "special" dog. Not that the mutts aren't special...But I totally get why someone would seek out a perfect well bred dog.

so...I feel strongly both ways...big grin

just make sure you love what you get for it's whole life and don't choose badly...
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:08am PST 
Wat: Part of that is the selection process though, eh? I mean, plenty of rescue dogs aren't "projects" in the negative way. Plenty of rescue dogs could do dog sports. It's more about being able to assess the dog fully before committing to adoption. Being aware of just exactly what are your criteria: must have's and wants. And then sticking with that, and not ending up with the wrong dog because of pity or some other factor, which doesn't necessarily make for the happiest relationship in the long term.

Edited by author Mon Nov 12, '12 10:09am PST

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:18am PST 
I posted. Here was my deal -

"f those are the only reasons you think there are, then you need to get out more. Seriously. I actually am an adoptions counselor for a rescue and have multiple fosters right now...all of them purebred, if only by coincidence.....and have a lot of belief in the true merits of the rescue dog or puppy, even beyond the "it's the right thing to do" mantra. But there are two distinct markets with people of differing sensibilities. Those who opt for breeders will not solve these tragedies. Those who opt for rescue will save "these" tragedies for that ONE dog. But it's not like they are solving the crisis. The crisis is caused by, when you get right down to the nuts and bolts, a disposable dog mentality. That's what we have to solve. You can blame the breeders...ok, fairly said as part of the problem. But that which supplies those who have a disposable dog mentality (and they themselves, who think cash cropping is ok). You can blame those who don't adopt, too. But they aren't affecting the intake, are they? And the intake is the problem. Would I wish on ANY dog being a "rescue dog"? No! They are abandoned, scared, confused. I'd like to see a little more concern about THAT. I have an English Setter foster right now and I know when her adoption day comes it is going to rip her heart out to be taken away. And she will be confused and upset all over again. And this is happy because???? No, this shouldn't BE in the first place! The only ones who DO this right and don't put dogs through this are the responsible breeders. That doesn't put a halo on their heads, but they love their breeds, dedicate their lives to them and are the example of how this is done RIGHT....through selective breeding, buyer and breed education, carefully screened placements, there for lifelong support. Their role and example is part of what fixes this. Word.

By this sort of logic, no one should adopt, we should only foster! Because more lives get saved fostering vs adopting, no? Why should I not judge those who actually adopt and thereby close fostering space, for they could have saved MORE, could they not have? Of course, such thoughts are sheer lunacy, but it is said to make a point. The problem here is INTAKE, it is in the disposable dog mentality. Said in the full cultural expanse.....support those who do it right, save as many you as can, and make the long term goal evolving the culture that leads this to be a problem in the first place.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------

This is just one of those things that IMO is damaging. Alienating people towards rescue by such abrasive viewpoints. Responsible breeders are part of the SOLUTION. It is the example of how one should breed and why. The very WAY we make BYBs and mills look bad is by....hello?....contrasting them to responsible breeders. They are the good guys. And moreover do a primo job at educating and evolving those who get puppies from them. Make them into better dog owners, and to be examples for their communities. Be there as a support when things don't go right.

Those who opt for breeder dogs should not be condemned. Take me. I have been involved in rescue for well over fifteen years. I care dearly about the dogs, I also truly feel it is a true market and an excellent manner in which to get a dog. Plenty of Dogsters here have both breeder dogs and rescues. I think the greatest evidence that these are two different experiences are those who have rescue dogs they love dearly and who have no issues, but are curious to try the breeder route next. What of them? Can it be said they don't know of rescue or the experience? There can be such a thing as too much idealism.

Rescue, in my personal estimation, is leveling off somewhat. Articles like this help nothing. This is about working together, not separately. Having respect for people's individual sensibilities and to support them as they make POSITIVE decisions.

The problem isn't that some people go to breeders vs rescue. The problem is those who breed dogs irresponsibly, and those whose have too much impulse, paired with a disposable dog mentality. For as long as we have that happy little partnership, we have a problem.

Edited by author Mon Nov 12, '12 10:20am PST

[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:35am PST 
I certainly see a hot button being pushed here! Let's see if I get the gist of this article: Breeder's Dogs=Bad Human, Shelter Dog=Good human! My answeer is NO! BYBs & Puppy Millers are pretty much money loving scumbags. That I get & agree with.

I've had two shelter dogs and loved them to death. But......they came with health and social issues, some of which I will never know the reason why.

A good, ethical breeder isn't in it for the money; Just ask them! The cost of breeding (medical,etc), training, DNA research, finishing a dog in show, only to find out they develop a physical malady later in life that could be passed on is heartbreaking. A GOOD breeder devotes much of their time out of love for the breed-not for money. Look at the posts popping up: Many of our members have bother breeder & shelter dogs. Neither one is loved or cared for any less.

I know an affionado of Flat Coated retreivers whose dog is going through chemotherapy, as cancer is very prevalent in her breed. She's part of a network that works with breeders & Vets, passing on information to try to bolster a healthier version of the breed.

A friend has a Belgian from a breeder that most likely is developing stomach cancer-just like her previous dog. This cancer appears in 17% of Belgians. We wouldn't know this number if responsible breeders didn't research & share the bad, as well as the good in their breed.

Shelter dogs are fabulous, I agree. However, my mutt Dahlia ended up with glaucoma, seizures, and a tumor which resulted in her being PTS at a relatively early age. My purebred rescue, Rusty, has a grade two heart mumur. There is no guarantee that a shelter or breeder dog will be healthy. There is no guarantee that for every purebred bought, a shelter dog dies. People need to match up with a dog that suit their lifestyle, not make a political statement by getting one.

Mr Grade on this article is a resounding F!.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:35am PST 
*munches double post & curses work PC*

Edited by author Mon Nov 12, '12 10:36am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11