GO!

Know I Chose the Right Dog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 4:44pm PST 
I want to tell people who are considering a second dog that sometimes it's fun to get a dog with a different personality than the first. When you windowshop doggies you're often looking for a carbon copy of the first. I'm really growing to love the differences in Sophie and Callie. They're both considered bullies but have remarkably different personalities.

Sophie is dog reactive onleash, afraid of the dark, strange men, young children, helium balloons, rain and thunder, and sometimes she shakes from nothing at all. The one place she is brave besides home is the local nature reserve. We can hike trails for hours and she scampers offleash after squirrels and chipmunks...great exercise for both of us.

Callie fears almost nothing except car lights at night. Therefore he has to stay onleash at all times. But I've discovered he really enjoys walking in town. That's something I've avoided with Sophie for years...people,cars, children, noise...it turns her into a quivering wreck. But Callie walked there with me tonight calmly gazing at all the interesting people and activity. We sat in front of the theater/pizza place for awhile and he let anyone passing pet him, twirling his stubby tail like a helicopter.

Mr. Social Butterfly! I'll have to take him to town nightly and Sophie to walk in the woods. Then I get to enjoy the best of both of them
happy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:28am PST 
Oh, I totally get this! Bunny is reactive with high prey drive. At home he is attached to my hip and pretty calm. Naturally I tend to walk him in places where there is little activity. He is also very anxious in the car. Needless to say bringing him to dog friendly activities is pretty much out of the question.

Enter Princesse. She can be a bit of a pain in the house due to alarm barking, but bringing her somewhere is a dream! She curls up in the car , waiting to see where we are going. I can bring her in crowded places, and all she does is look around to see what is going on. Her quirk is that she doesn't like children or strange women, but she is fine if people leave her alone. Same with other dogs. It is so nice to bring her for a walk and have her just glance at bikes, birds and passing carscloud 9
[notify]