GO!

Lowchens and other non-toy companion breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:48pm PST 
The Tibbies I've met are definitely terrier-like. Strong willed & stubborn. Cute as heck, but stubborn, lol.

I have met Lhasas that are biddable & can tear it up with bigger dogs; as long as they are allowed to be a dog & not an accessory. I think we can count on you letting it get in touch with it's canine side. wink

Now, I want to put in a pitch for my favored breed: The Cocker Spaniel! Rusty is 30 lbs, but he is taller than the average Cocker. They are athletic, very willing to please (as long as they are not hunting something...), and a lot of fun. The coat can be shaved completely, short clip, or show coat (pita). They have no problem playing with large or small dogs.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:29pm PST 
Corgis and Cockers and terriers are fun suggestions, but I guess for me they are not really companion dogs. I mean, of course, they ARE companions... but they go back to that having to dedicate a whole new portion of my life to yet another doggie cause laugh out loud

I want something simple, fun, not a project. Obviously not a stuffed doll who sits on the couch all day, and that's certainly not my intention with a dog... but something that's not really prospecting for much outside of being an active companion. You know, a dog who doesn't thirst for a job, but enjoys having one if you give it to him.

I might have to reconsider CCs, and the Havanese is starting to interest me. Also looking into Lhasas, and would still love info on Lowchens.

I guess specifically what I'm looking for, is biddable and handler focused, who is affectionate without being overly clingy. Rock steady in the nerve department, not sharp, confident but non-confrontational or overly assertive. I guess just a "go with the flow" sort of dog, doesn't have to be a show stopper, just dependable.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:07pm PST 
Well, a Rat Terrier or Border Terrier or something similar does not necessarily require you to have a whole new lifestyle or "doggy cause"... They can just be a fun active companion. They are to a lot of people who have fun with them but don't do "terrier stuff" or showing/competing or whatever. thinking

Heck my mostly Rat Terrier was a total failure at go-to-ground (and lure coursing/terrier racing), in fact my Golden Retriever was better at both sports than he was...
Although, he probably would have been good at flyball if he hadn't had the hip issue but he was happy just being my hiking/walking buddy and accompanying me to fun events/festivals and things like that, although he also loved learning tricks and clicker training, I didn't have to dedicate my life to it.

Edited by author Sat Nov 10, '12 7:15pm PST

[notify]

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:44pm PST 
I am completely enamoured with the Havanese. Smart, biddable, confident, happy and lively. They are also hardy little dogs - I don't feel like they are going break (which is the way I feel with many small breeds). If I ever was to downsize to a small dog, they would be at the top of my list. Love them smile
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 6:27am PST 
I have a friend who is a PhD animal behaviorist who was in the exact same boat you are. She had a GSD who is VERY protective and two Dobe rescues from VERY bad starts. She wanted a small dog who was the antithesis of a project so she chose a CKCS from a GREAT breeder and was SO happy.
[notify]
Harvey

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 10:00am PST 
That is basically how I ended up with my Cresteds... I had NO, nada, none intentions of breeding them. I did want to show, if possible, but I was mainly interested in a nice companion that I could have fun with, but didn't have to spend all my time working with, and that wouldn't cause any issues with the other dogs.
Admittedly, I didn't need THREE of them, but somehow that always happens with me and my dogs, BOL!
They are all now three years old and it's been a GREAT three years and I am still LOVIN' them!!!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:32am PST 
Corgis and Cockers and terriers are fun suggestions, but I guess for me they are not really companion dogs. I mean, of course, they ARE companions... but they go back to that having to dedicate a whole new portion of my life to yet another doggie cause.

I understand completely since I have one of each. Last night they didn't come to the door when I called them...Found them out by the back fence with the Corgi digging under it like mad as the Cocker stood by and cheered her on. They used to hate each other, but now have discovered the power of dual mayhem.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3