GO!

Lowchens and other non-toy companion breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:05am PST 
Does anyone here have any experience with Lowchens or know anything about them?

I've been thinking about smaller companion breeds lately. My heart is with the Chow, I think he fits me, but I'm finding myself feeling less and less as endeared to the "BS" side of things as I once was (IE, before Ridley).

So I'm starting to think of something with a bit more of an even, stable temperament.

Lowchens interest me, though being a "rare" breed that is also a concern. I don't feel there are enough resources available to really get a good understanding of these dogs, though what is available makes them out to be pretty enjoyable little dogs.

If ever I did get a small dog (not toy- not interested in anything under 10lbs), I figured it would be a Poodle. Still a consideration of course, but the coat type of the Lowchen appeals visually more (if I HAVE to have a groomy dog... might as well like the hair!).

Curious in other lively, confident, reasonably healthy (no Pekes or Pugs please), very biddable companion dogs as well. Again, not toy, nothing itty bitty, somewhere in the range of 10-20lbs. Preferably not a terrier, haha (not that there's nothing to be desired of course, but there is a line between "companion" and "dedicating my life to"!).
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:57am PST 
Tibetan spaniel? Long lived, pretty healthy, intelligent will push their boundaries but not as much as terriers I don't think.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:09am PST 
I only know one Lowchen and she is spunky and very cute!
How about a Chinese Crested or a Havanese?
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:26am PST 
Considered a Hav, though I feel they fall about in line with what I'm feeling with Lowchens being a rarer breed and all.

I think CCs and TSs might be too small (on average) for what I want.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:27am PST 
I was raised with Chows and ADORE them but unfortunately we have breed restrictions at our apartment. The Lhasa Apso has the same sort of temperament as our beloved Chows in a pretty cute smaller package. They barely shed a hair! They seem to be a bit easier to find than the other Tibetan breeds like the spaniel and the terrier. Make sure to get your pup from a good breeder that runs all the needed genetic tests and has socialized them extensively before you even pick one. I never liked yapping or high sqeaky barks and these guys have a wonderful deep voice. (It is best to train them to speak and shush, btw) They aren't hyper and a 30 or so walk settles them for the day. They like to be outside like the Chows and are pretty independent but they LOVE their family. Very much watch dogs and are pretty alert, they were companions to the monks. Despite what some of the things say, mine LOVES kids and Loves and plays with his kitty cat. It all really depends on early and ongoing socialization. He is rather friendly with everyone he meets and loves to get tummy rubs. He is about 17 lbs right now and isn't as breakable and dainty like those other tiny dogs. I choose a Lhasa also due to the fact there are not as many health problems.
Best of luck choosing your new doggie! blue dog
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:34am PST 
The Cavalier or Lhasa Apso would always be my choice of a small companion breed. Bar the health issues with the Cavvie, they make wonderful little companions and are pretty sturdy too. Most Cavs are bigger than Missy in the leg but both breeds weigh roughly the same as her ( she's between 16/17.5lbs )Lhasa Apsos have always appealed to me because of their temperament too, they're aloof and dignified which i like but i'd have to keep that coat in a puppy cut!

All i know about Lowchens is that they are a happy little dog and pretty damn lively too! I would assume they're not all that popular because of their coat care but from the little i've read of them in the past they make great family pets and are adaptable to most lifestyles.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:36am PST 
A Havanese or a Coton de Tulear also might fit. My family has 3 Cotons and they are very happy go lucky cuties, they love everyone and they are very soft but EVERYTHING gets stuck in their fur. They have the no health problems and love to be snuggled. They are however pretty rare and hard to find.

Petfinder might be a good source for you once you figure which breed you want, you can just type it in and your zipcode.
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 10:03am PST 
I have never met one but I have always really liked Lowchens. Havs are great too. And I know you said no terriers but I just have to say.....Dandie Dinmont Terrier? Nice little dogs,not a lot of health issues and fairly docile for a terrier. But you also have the issue, like you mentioned before, of it not being a super popular breed. What about Coton de Tulears? Bichon Frise maybe?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 11:22am PST 
Lhasa. Totally. Hard enough to be close to home if you do your research right. Discerning. Discriminating. Bad ass. Done RIGHT, of course!

Edited by author Tue Nov 6, '12 11:26am PST

[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 12:31pm PST 
Havs aren't particularly uncommon now. I'd actually consider them popular. I think they're actually the most popular dog in NYC or 2nd. They're high up regardless. They've hit a surge so it's one of those "be very careful" of where you purchase from.

There are at least 4 at the OB club and a few friends have them too. Generally fairly happy. Easy to train and they like it. Despite the hair they do get cold easily. They seem jolly enough. If I were going little again I'd go terrier, pinscher or poodle personally.

Ugh Tiller. We have the remnants of a Lhasa craze in the area about 5 years ago still coming in for grooming. Find me a nice one and I'll give you $40. All nasty bitey horrible creatures with maybe one exception and she's a mix.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3