GO!

What made you choose *your* breed?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 4:15pm PST 
Have you watched Fluke, Lobo? That's my fave dog movie i think. Love the soundtrack and everything way to go

Back on topic...I don't really know what "my" breed is yet. I mean i fully believe Ty is my heart dog and he's a Lurcher type. I think i gel with sighthounds, they're calm, laid back, aloof, loyal and they kind of match my personality well. But they lack that drive to work that i'm ideally looking for in my next dog. So with that said, i managed to find a dog that ticks all my boxes and as soon as i discovered it i was smitten. I've not found myself tempted by many other breeds since to be honest, i guess the sighthounds still pull me in their direction and i WILL own more of them in the future. But for now it's all about the Hovawart. I'm hoping to have my pup next year if everything goes to plan. So i guess i'll see whether that's truly "my" breed in the near future wink
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 5:07pm PST 
Well when deciding what dog I wanted next, I chose a German Shepherd because they sounded like an ideal fit for my list of criteria. I actually used to be one of those people who didn't see what the big whoop about GSDs was. I didn't really think they were any more attractive than most other dogs, and nothing I'd seen or heard about them made me think I particularly wanted one. It wasn't until they were suggested to me based on my wants and I started looking into them more that they clicked for me. Now I think they're one of the most visually stunning breeds in existence and every characteristic of a correct German Shepherd is something I value.

So far Onyx has been everything I was looking for and more, but I hesitate to say GSDs are my breed considering I've only had one and my experience with other breeds is limited. There was a time I would have said Golden Retrievers were my breed, and at the time they were a good fit, but now I have no plans to ever own another. In all likelihood, I will have more German Shepherds, but I'm definitely not limiting myself to them either.
[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 5:25pm PST 
Oh how I love Dachshundscloud 9. I just started liking them because, you know, there the hot dog dogs. But then I learned about their personality and they sounded awesome. I love the fighter in them, I love the stubbornness and the goofiness and the 'must be center of attention'ness. And then I was lucky enough to work in a kennel and spent most of my time in daycamp. I met a LOT of dogs. But the dachshunds just stood out more and more to me. I liked them all smile and then I got Dar and I realize that I will always have a doxie in my life. More specifically a long-haired as they are a little calmer and a little more affectionate. But all in all they are WONDERFUL. Dar makes me laugh everyday, and while he likes to play and go for walks, he enjoys lying on the couch next to me just as much. And I love his different moods, its not just play fetch play fetch play fetch. While he likes to go and explore, I'm his person so he will never stray too far. I love his brattyness and his stubbornness too. It just can't get better than a Dachshund.
[notify]

Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:35pm PST 
cloud 9 Versatility is the number one reason I love Poodles. Anything you want or need them to do...they can do it. They adapt very well.

I love that they are freakishly smart eek Keeps my honest. laugh out loud

I love their sense of humor...you must have a sense of humor to live with a poodle. Never Underestimate the Wit of a Poodle!!

I love that they have (or should have) soft mouths and are gentle with children.

I love their air of dignity as they prance when they walk.

I love that I am not constantly cleaning up chunks of fur (even though I still love GSD's, Akita's, Rottie's) cloud 9

I love that you can groom a poodle to look...pretty much however you want them to look.

I love all their sizes and colors...and who can resist curly fluff n stuff.

I love that poodles love and are happiest when they are with their people. Poodles are not for folks who are gone a lot.

I love saying the word POODLE...it's funny...makes me happy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:03am PST 
Sonja- I too love poodles but even the standard just don't seem big enough for us. Akitas take a sense of humor as well and you often have to try to out think them,not nearly as easy as it sounds.big laugh

Lobo- The reason behind using Shibas in Hachi was the growth rate of Akita puppies.They had to find something that would stay small enough,long enough and finding a constant supply of Akita puppies that looke right was too difficult. Given that Akita puppies gain an average of 10 pounds a month and seem to grow before your eyes when young,as much as we Akita people may not like it I understand.hug
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 7:49am PST 
I didn't really choose my Doxie, since she was brought to our house when we were living in Mexico. I knew nothing about any breed nor dogs in general when we took in that little puppy.

But now that I've lived with a Dachshund for almost 5 years, I can see how they are the right breed for my lifestyle in many ways. I am very stubborn and love a challenge. And so is Lupi! She has excelled at anything we've put our minds to, whether it be agility, tricks or even obedience.

A compact little dog, they are great to travel with, yet sturdy enough for long hikes in the mountains. Lupi is wary of strangers, but absolutely loyal to my large extended family. She is an excellent watchdog. We never bothered to replace our doorbell after doing some exterior renos a few years ago!

I find them to be low-shedders (at least compared to the Spaniels, pugs, labs and Frenchies that frequently visit our home!). Not sure if it's a breed trait or just mine, but she is very clean. Avoids mud puddles and sticks to pavement when she can. Since I'm a bit of a neat freak, I really appreciate this.

Dachshunds are independent creatures, which suits me well since I don't like an extremely clingy dog. But they also love to cuddle, especially in bed with you. When I'm sick, Lupi is the BEST hot water bottle!

I've often thought about which breed I would choose for my next dog. I tend to pick the super-friendly breeds, since Lupi is so timid with strangers (not a true Doxie trait) and I think it would be so much easier to have a really sociable dog. But invariably, when I start doing more research and meeting those breeds, I realize there is no "perfect" dog and that Lupi is probably as close to perfect-for-me as I'll ever find.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:26pm PST 
Tyler, I did, actually! That movie was a total sob-fest for me. I don't think I've ever cried more during a movie. Even Hachi didn't make me cry as much.

M&K, that's true. I guess it makes sense when you put it like that.

Haha, everyone has really good stories. (: It's really interesting to see what drew people to their dogs, too.
[notify]
Wilbur

Can I bite your- toes?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:31pm PST 
haha, mine is kind of funny since I never thought I would actually get it!

I have wolfdogs and always wanted one because I loved wolves- simple enouugh there!
Of course Id din't think I would actually ever get one, so I turned to the next best thing- looking to adopt an Alaskan Malamute.
I looked for months on the Texas Alaskan Malamute Rescue website with no luck. Then a boy popped up by the name of Monty and I immediately (thinking he was a Mal) called on him because he looked so wolfy. Low and behold he was a real wolfdog!!! I ended up adopting him (he was a mid content) and absolutely fell in love with the "breed."

Monty passed away back in 2010 at a little over 15 yrs old. Throughout my time with him and up until recently, I have rescued 2 more wolfdogs and purchased 1. I have also done a lot of rescue/foster work. They are amazing animals- difficult, but I will never own another kind of dog!
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 9:52am PST 
My first priority is and always will be a rescue or shelter dog ...

I had cats all my life. I had no particular breed in mind when I was looking for my first dog, just a certain "look". Longer fur, upright triangular ears, and "real dog" size. Basically, I think I was just looking for a giant cat laugh out loud I'm not a small dog person. Ace is pushing 60 pounds and she's about perfect sizewise for me.

I always have liked GSD and huskies though. And Ace happened to look like a mix of the two. Now that I've gotten to know her better, I think she's got Belgian Malinois in the mix, more so than GSD.

Then my daughter moved back home, with her husky. My life is complete. Although when she moves back out, it'll kill me to say goodbye to Kale. I keep hoping for some reason or another, she decides to leave him with us. We have the yard and walkable neighborhood... Wish me luck there.

I would be really torn between huskies, Belgians, malamutes, and GSD if I were getting another dog. So I'd probably end up with a mix/mutt again, that just seems to have the best of all worlds laugh out loud But I would certainly look into the single breed rescue groups.

So I guess to make a long story short, I guess I don't have a breed, just a "type".
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4