GO!

What made you choose *your* breed?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 2:48am PST 
So, I know that a lot of people have certain breeds that they absolutely adore. And I'm sure that others have stories that led them to that breed.

Long story short, we adopted Lobo, did a lot of research, and came upon the discovery of the Akita, which led us to the breed split - American Akita and Japanese Akita. The more I read, the more I realized that this breed matched Lobo almost to a T, and the more I fell in love with them. Lobo is my heartdog, and through him, I've really been taught a lot. I think that's what really drew me to the breed. They have such a powerful look and feel, and yet, with their family, they're little more than teddy bears. I adore them so much. (:

So, what made you decide that a certain breed was for you?
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:41am PST 
Growing up it was Chows or nothing ...and despite being the fundamentally wrong breed wrong breed for me (my "perfect" match is an Aussie) - I will always love Chows and likely always own and foster them. So if I had to choose a single breed for myself, it would be have to be Chows. Right now I have my dream dog to balance them out.... so I'm very happy with that arrangement smile

After working with a lot of breeds in a professional setting, I've found myself liking breeds I normally wouldn't consider. I favor dogs with a lot of character, and Airedales are one breed full of it. I really do like them, along with other terriers I have previously not thought much of. Dobermans are in the same category too.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 1:17pm PST 
I will shamelessly say that the first thing that attracts me to any breed is the way it looks. laugh out loud

But...! That doesn't mean I'm going to immediately go out and get a pretty dog. I like the way a lot of breeds look, but I know that I'll never own one because their personalities just don't do it for me.

When I first got interested in Border Collies it was because of how they looked, but then the more I learned about them, the cooler they sounded. Not just the stuff about "smartest breed" either. I loved the sound of a tireless worker. Nothing is cooler to me than watching a Border Collie work stock. Herding dogs quickly became my favorite thing, all-around, but BC's stay on top. Always. smile

Then Borzoi... it was that noble aristocratic look they have which attracted me to them in the first place. Actually, I knew about the breed before, but never considered them until I started stalking photo galleries with pictures of Borzoi. laugh out loud I still have a lot to learn though. Sighthounds are SO different from herding breeds. I still don't know if I'd be a good owner for one.

But, I had 9 years to learn about Border Collies before actually getting one, and I don't plan on getting another dog until Ava or Nix pass away (so it's gonna be a while!) so there's plenty of time to learn about other breeds that I'm interested in. smile

Edited by author Thu Nov 1, '12 1:21pm PST

[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 10:46pm PST 
A&N, I know what you mean. Akitas are gorgeous, so obviously that was initially what made me look more into them.

Niki, I grew up with an assortment of different dogs, so I kind of had a taste for a variety of different breeds. From a little Chihuahua to a beautiful Shar-pei. (How the heck my backwoods, redneck, trailer-living with no backyard family came across a purebred Shar-pei, I will never know.)

I watched Hachi last night (and earlier today...) and it reminded me of the actual book that was written. And I remembered that I forgot to add that Hachiko's story was another thing that really attracted me to the breed. I'm just really upset that so many newbie owners are looking for Akitas now. I just hope that people are responsible and aren't stupid. Haven't seen Akitas in pet stores yet(I have seen one or two Shibas, though) so I'm hoping that people *are* being smart. At least, smart enough to realize that not all Akitas are Hachis, and that they aren't very easy to train. laugh out loud

BUT, whatever the case, at least the breed is getting the recognition it deserves. Now, if we could just get them off the Top Ten Dangerous Dogs list...
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 11:16pm PST 
Pure luck and Maggie. I had been toying with the idea of getting a dog as I had plenty of time and was kind of bored/lonely living on my own. My neighbors had a mini Aussie and she was an absolute butt, didn't really like her at all (even their first mini Aussie was not my cup of tea)...but then they got Maggie and I fell in love with this dog. I went home and immediately starting researching everything I could about this breed. Turned out that they were in actuality a good fit for what I wanted in a dog - smart, fun, active, people oriented, furry, and pretty. Once my neighbors gave in and let me have Mags it has been Aussies ever since big grin
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 5:17am PST 
I originally took JT because he was free and there, but his breed has really grown on me. I like their loyalty and independence, and they are very attractive. I think I will definitely have another one day. I feel confident with the kelpie because they are easy to train and nice to have around the house, a lot of people say they are off the wall but all the ones I've experienced are quiet at home. They are pretty much my heart dogs now, they seem to just jive with my personality.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:11am PST 
Function, drive and temperament big grin
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:56am PST 
Hubby has allergies. I love the big lug breeds (Rotties, GSD's, and Akita's especially). So, our compromise was the Standard Poodle. cloud 9 I have fallen in love with this breed.

I know temperament wise they are nothing like my big lug loves...but I enjoy the Yin and Yang of most everything. I have also had "hard" and "soft" breeds throughout my life and have enjoyed them all very much. cloud 9
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:59am PST 
I chose cardigans because I love the high drive, intelligence, biddability, and the small package.
[notify]
Pippin - My Forever- Angel

Secret agent in- charge of- Squirrels

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 8:19am PST 
About 15 yrs. ago, we happened upon a gorgeous German Shorthair at a rescue event. Even though we knew nothing about the breed, it was love at first sight. We were blessed to have Pippin for almost 12 yrs. and I fell in love with the breed's loyalty, strength, intelligence, loving nature and general outlook on life. While we don't currently have a GSP in our lives, I know we will have another one someday.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4