GO!

Are "white" Dobermans different from Dobermans with Albinism?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 11:59am PST 
I was just curious. I saw a photo on a Facebook page of a couple white Dobermans. They had pink noses and extremely light blue eyes. I asked if they were Albino Dobes and she replied "no, they are whited and cream" whatever that means..

They looked albino to me thinking is there a difference?

The breeder actually has a kennel with the words "White Dobermans" in the name, so it's pretty clear she is breeding for white Dobermans. Is there such a thing, and aren't they prone to deafness and/or blindness?

Edited by author Sun Oct 28, '12 12:24pm PST

[notify]
Roxie

BOING!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 12:14pm PST 
White Dobes are albinos, and suffer all the health problems that go along with that. Anyone claiming to have a while Dobe is lying.. As far as I know, they are always albino frown
[notify]
Roxie

BOING!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 12:14pm PST 
Oops double post!

Edited by author Sun Oct 28, '12 12:15pm PST

[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 1:51pm PST 
Farley, I think I know which page you are talking about.

White Dobes have been discussed here a number of times and I managed to find something that might be worth reading through: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/thread/699629

I personally don't consider anyone breeding white Dobermans to be an ethical breeder (which is why I don't comment on those photos, as anything I would have to say would not be nice).
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 3:06pm PST 
Thanks for the replies, both of you.

Rexy- yeah I didn't really want to comment much more than what I did on that photo as it was a raw feeding page, and probably would have started an argument anyway. I agree, though. I figured they were albino being marketed as some fancy "white" Dobermans. I did ask if she tests for blindness and deafness and she did not answer my question.

Some people confused
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 3:57pm PST 
Generally people breeding albino Doberemans will call them "white" they don't call them albinos due to the negative connotation. They will claim they are not albinos because they don't have pink eyes and because they often have cream markings. The truth is albinos don't always have pink eyes and they can have some pale cream colorations. It's a type of albinism, that still has the same health problems.
So no, "white Dobermans" are not different from albinos, it's just how the breeders are marketing them, and they often make false claims.
[notify]