GO!

Beaucerons?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 2:09pm PST 
I have run across them a few times and are curious about them. The ones I met were pretty calm and friendly.

I know that they were originally multi-purpose dogs and were used for herding among other things.

They are apparently pretty rare but I was wondering if anybody has any experience with them.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 2:29pm PST 
I've met them, and I know a few service dog handlers with them. From the impression I've gotten they can be a bit tricky to deal with. Forceful personalities with big opinions on what they like and don't like.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 2:41pm PST 
So like dobermans then? Most of the dobies I have met are super finicky and stubborn. I love em anyways though LOL.

I think it is interesting that people use them as SDs. Do they work well besides being picky?
[notify]

b

zzzzzzzz...

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 3:09pm PST 
I wouldn't say they are temperamentally similar to Dobermanns, no. I would liken the ones I know to some of the larger, 'sharper' herders, something more like a Bouvier. They still, as a rare breed in the US, retain some of the more rustic qualities typical of breeds from continental Europe, and are regarded as being all-rounders.

The ones we know compete in high-level obedience and herding. I like them and they also aren't quite as sensitive in some ways as (at least American) Dobermann, who can get all butthurt over the littlest disapproval.

Edited by author Thu Oct 25, '12 3:14pm PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 11:10pm PST 
I've been reading up on them as I am interested in maybe getting one in the future. Apparently they can be sensitive and some lines have temperament issues-- not the breed as a whole, but some lines are prone to problems. They are somewhat similar to GSDs but can be more sharp and more aloof (and less health issues.)
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 3:52am PST 
A breed I'm definitely interested in getting in the future.
Unfortunately my only experience with the breed is at a handful of agility trials...but they were absolutely stunning.

As mentioned, they're a "harder" temperamented breed than other herders. Which is something I've been looking for. My 2 are so soft, I'd love to try something different.
I've heard that they're more on the "serious" and no-nonsense side than many other dogs.

What I've read is that Beacueron's are being developed to be more "socially acceptable". This is sort of concerning as I wonder how far they're going to go with this goal of acceptance in mind. These are supposed to be hardened dogs, and not say a Labrador Retriever (not meaning to offend anyone of course, but they are known for their people skills).
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:56am PST 
MY PP trainer just took on a client with one, though I have never personally seen one in action.

From my own research into them, and from information provided by people like Tiller, I have determined they are not the breed for me.

Some people click well with certain dogs, and that's ok. But personally I see the Beauceron as another dog who people seek to take on because he's exotic- not necessarily because he is the perfect dog for them.

They are a rare breed in this country, few have actually worked with them long enough and extensively enough to really appreciate the heart of those dogs. That lack of knowledge is what scares me, and for a breed like this lends itself to mistrust, especially considering the nature of the breed itself. Sharp genetics deteriorate quickly in the hands of fools, and unfortunately with breeds like the Beauceron, who are more than JUST sharp, can lead to a fork in the road that travels in two unfortunate directions. Its not a dog I would want to get from just ANY breeder, and I feel there are enough of the "any" types that I would steer clear for that reason alone.

If Beaucerons interest you, why not consider something like a Rottie? PLEASE do not less health issues scare you away... as with anything, there are good genetics and there are bad, and there are enough wonderful breeders in any breed that you CAN find a healthy individual if you just set out to find them. I can drop you some names of wonderful Rott breeders who produce beautiful, healthy dogs if that's something that might ever interest you. As a breed I think Rottweilers are much more stable in this country, and honestly better suited to service work than a Beauceron.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 1:20pm PST 
I tend to agree with Mulder on this. While I've seen a few people with them as service dogs they didn't get them because they wanted a service dog, they got into the breed because they were familiar with it. I wouldn't put them in the same class as Dobe's because even some of the more unstable dobe lines Want to work for you, and still tend to be very velcro... the Beauceron's I've met and dealt with are not like that... more of a I can take you or loose you attitude. They are generally Large enough for mobility but they are a challenging breed to work with from what I can tell.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 3:32pm PST 
I wasn't considering one for Service Work. Their temperaments just seem not to mesh well.

I LOVE rotties. I am strong considering them for my next SD, I am just worried about public perception of them. I am sure I would get that from a shepherd or a rottie though. *sigh*

Do you know any good breeders of rotties? I haven't been able to find too many that I would be comfortable with.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 3:46pm PST 
The Beaucerons I have dealt with have been VERY dog aggressive and territorial. I have known several people who put them to sleep when they turned 2-3 because of aggression issues. Tricky dogs. I've known a lot of dobermans who were temperamentally sound, I don't know of any put to sleep because of aggression issues in my circles. No, I wouldn't compare them to dobermans at all
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2