GO!

Differences between Toy, Mini, and Standard Poodles?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 10:46am PST 
I was searching for a Poodle in rescue (I decided against a puppy from a breeder for the time being) and it just got me wondering, what are the differences between Toys, Minis, and Standards in terms of temperament, if any?
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 11:22am PST 
The one thing all poodles share is their love for their people. They are NOT for ignoring or people gone a lot.

The Standard Poodle is an athlete and tends to be more aloof than the mini or toy ... but not the kind of aloof sight hounds have. Standard Poodles are freakishly smart so they can have an air of superiority which can be seen as being aloof. Poodles can figure out how to outsmart their owners if possible.

Poodles, in general, are highly sensitive. Harsh training methods will not work with this breed. Most important is that poodles are also highly adaptable.

The Toy Poodle isn't much different from their bigger siblings except for size. However, they are not for outdoor life, toddlers, or aggressive youngsters. Toy Poos can also be more "needy" than the mini or std.

Minis, in my experience, tend to be a little more "terrier like" in their temperaments than the standard or toy.

Any size, poodles are courageous, not wimpy...which can cause problems for the toy variety. wink
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 7:37am PST 
Sonja's right about the air of superiority but my toy mix has that! laugh out loud

Last night I was teaching my foster an Australian Shepherd mix how to "touch" and Jewel joined us because she hates him and how dare he eat all the treats. His attitude was "OMG!! I touch her this hand and that hand gives me FOOD!!!!" Jewel's was more like, "I'm only doing this so he doesn't get all the treats."
My foster was touching my hand no matter where I put it, Jewel only when it was right in front of her.

BUT once they had it down I took them out in yard and made a game of it. Then Jewel's attitude switched and she was into it, suddlenly a purpose to this "touch". They had to run to me and first one to touch my hand got the treat, my foster would get there first lots of times but was too excited to remember to touch my hand. Jewel was knocking him dead because she totally understood the game, it wasn't about speed it was about what you did when you got there.

That's a poodle for you, just sitting in the house doing something over and over again...BORING!! Make it a game? Yes please!way to go
[notify]