GO!

Have a mixed breed and know its parents?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:08am PST 
Cool thread! I love seeing what traits mixed breed pups get from each parent cloud 9 Genetics are so fascinating.

Kip and Oogie are brother and sister from the same litter; their mom was a chocolate sable pomeranian and their dad was an irish marked lavendar long-hair chihuahua (I'll post a comparison pic of the pups today and one of their parents at the end of this post) big grin

They definitely got traits from both parents; in terms of color, Oogie has nearly the same chocolate sabling/melanistic mask/white back toes pattern as her mother, though her eyes are a darker hazel. Kip is marked similarly to his dad with the irish white spotting, though he still has lighter hazel eyes and chocolate sabling like his mom.

Their fur is neither like pomeranian or long hair chihuahua; in fluffiness, they are quite a bit fluffier than long coat chihuahuas yet not as fluffy as pomeranians. Their fur is longer than both parent breeds, especially on the tail. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to groom than a pomeranian, and shed significantly less. I brush them once or twice a week usually, and don't have problems with their fur matting or getting tangled. I bathe them with shampoo/conditioner about once a month and their coats stay nice, shiny, and soft- no doggie odor at all with these guys!

In terms of personality, they took traits from each parent as well. Kip is higher energy, like his mom... but more cuddly/affectionate, like his dad. Oogie is more independent like her mom... yet lower energy, like her dad. They've maintained these personality styles since they were little pups.

It's been a blast watching them grow! They turned two years old at the end of October party Crazy how fast the time flies by! And now for the pictures:

Izzy and Boomer (Kip and Oogie's Parents)

Kip and Oogie today

You can really see the family resemblance! way to go

Edited by author Sun Dec 16, '12 2:11am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:29am PST 
Wow, Kip and Oogie's parents were beautiful! I love your dogs, they remind me so much of a pom chi mix I grew up with. She had one pup to a maltese mix and it came out looking like a shiba inu. All these dogs lasted a long time for byb jobs too, I think the pup hit 15 and the mun 17. Quite amazing. Of course this was a while ago. Maybe doggy gene pools were better in the early 90s, don't know.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:54am PST 
Rigby's breeds are not totally known, although I have considered doing a DNA test just for fun...
But I have found a dog that I believe may be a relative or littermate to Rig.

Elsie 1
Elsie 2

I spoke with her foster and she basically described Rigby to me.
This dog was found as a stray in the same area as Rigby, weighs about 30lbs, very cuddly and attached to her people but wary of others, her play style is the same, fine with cats, very intelligent and biddable.

It was very difficult for me to say no to adopting her.
But the way I live right now just wouldn't be fair for the new dog. frown
[notify]

Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 7:11am PST 
I never got to see Murphy's parents, I am not even 100% sure what his mix is, but when we adopted him we learned that he had fathered 2 puppies with his former owner's yorkie mix. The pups and female dog were put up for adoption but they found homes way before Murphy so I never got to see them, which is a shame I would have loved to see what they look like.

I did get to see several mixed breed pups & meet their parents through the shelter I used to work with. My favorite was this fantastic lab/corgi miz named Rain. Wonderfully behaved dog & she basically looked like someone had stretched out a black lab & stuck the body on itty bitty corgi legs! She had 3 pups when she came in (the father is a lab mix of some sort, maybe with some border collie) & it was really interesting to see how they looked. They were all black with some white marking but the 2 girls had normal sized legs, while the boy had stubby corgi legs! It was very funny to see. They all looked just alike but the boy was like a mini me of the other 2! laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 9:10am PST 
Rig ... How interesting! Elsie looks to be a kelpie/ACD/collie mix, with kelpie and ACD being the two dominant breeds. She is beautiful. I wonder if she is related, I never would have pictured Rigby having ACD in her.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 11:08am PST 
From a breeder on another site malinois mum/golden retriever dad accidental litter.
Arnie and Matilda
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 12:38pm PST 
Rain's mom was a purebred Lab and her dad was a Lab/Golden
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 12:52pm PST 
Jackson- thank you!! I thought their parents were just gorgeous little dogs, and they were both sweet and not yappy at all. I'm glad Kip and Oogie each ended up with good qualities from both! I often wonder how their littermates turned out- one was a solid chocolate/tan female and the other was an irish marked chocolate and tan male. And that's awesome you had a pom/chi mix when you were younger! What a cross for her pup- I would not expect a pup from those mixes to end up looking like a shiba! What was his/her fur texture like? I do hope I am as lucky as you and that my two end up living to 15+ smile

Rigby- that dog does look similar to yours! If you ever get a DNA test on Rigby, you should post the results.

Murphy- My neighbor has a dog that looks like that!!! He looks absolutely like a black lab in the head/face/body/tail/paws in size and proportion, but he's got tiny little nub legs that do not match the rest of him! Very unique character laugh out loud

Buster, those dogs are just beautiful; I love the brindle markings. I wonder what their temperaments turned out like? Goldens and Malinois are typically very different from one another in that respect!
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 1:20pm PST 
As far as I remember Arnie is very much a golden except for he will not retrieve. Matilda is quite shy and reserved I think.
[notify]
Alyssum

Dog O' Despair

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:59pm PST 
I've had 2 mutts with known parentage. One was a foster doggy I took on last year.

"Lucky" was 8 weeks old when I got him, and 7.5 ounces. He had hydrocephalus and was lethargic, deaf, and would mildly circle when walking. He was originally a compassion hold on my part, but he was so adorable that I decided a course of steroids couldn't hurt. He recovered, stopped circling, was able to hear and grew to 7 pounds in 2 1/2 months! D: Dumb as a brick, but the happiest doggy.

He is a chihuahua/shih-tzu mix.

Radiographs from the day I got him: http://imageshack.us/a/img580/9277/luckyrad1.jpg

2 days later, still syringe feeding formula: http://imageshack.us/a/img3/639/lucky2o.jpg

His first zoomies: http://imageshack.us/a/img708/5575/lucky8.jpg

Playing with Alyssum before going to his forever home: http://imageshack.us/a/img266/6749/la2v.png

The other dog was Kumo, my personal anecdote against 'hybrid vigor'. party Food allergies, flea allergies, autoimmune disorder of some sort, hip dysplasia.... Wonderful dog, but a pain in the arse medically. His one saving grace was that he helped me raise all my bottle babies. He was rehomed a year ago to a large property a couple towns away where he can run to his heart's content and play with another dog all day. Much better than my condo.

Kumo is an English shepherd/ACD mix. And he is the handsomest dog EVAR.

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/5107/kumo6.jpg
http://imagesh ack.us/a/img703/5875/kumo7.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img101/7237/k umo2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img171/8122/kumolucky1.jpg
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4