GO!

How many dogs is too many?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 12:24pm PST 
I've got four right now though my old girl has been on a downward spiral since I lost my former eldest in Sept. My comfortable number is 2-3 and I suspect I'll be there before the end of the year. I'm also coming from the perspective that I work and trial my dogs. Trialling is pricey and time consuming and the training even more so. My little dogs are older and I don't do much with them. The younger two sap up all the time.

Right now they're all fairly decently spaced out at 14, 7, 3 and 2.

All things being equal (Money= enough. Time=enough, space=enough for 3), getting another dog is actually accomplishment based for me as much as anything else.

-Mo needs at least his CDX before I'll consider another. He's going to take longer to mature than Zeph so while she can be trialled as is he's liable to leap onto the judge in happiness.

-Jax is the big consideration age-wise. He's also teeny so rough puppy play will not be received well.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:57am PST 
No, there's never too many as long as they are well cared for in a secure home smile right now, we have 3 dogs (ages almost 9, 8, and 9 months), a cat (5 years old) that thinks he's a dog, and two kids (ages 5 and 7). Sparkles was our newest addition about 3 months ago. We have quite a busy house and are looking to move to a bigger one but everyone here is well cared for, happy, and in no way lacking. As long as you can handle it and are stable, go for it smile
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 10:01am PST 
As you said you have the means and ability to care for one more, go for it.

Just please adopt.

I'd consider another medium to large dog though, but maybe that's just me. Maybe a shepherd/husky mix laugh out loud
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:40am PST 
I have 4 large dogs in a small rented house. I love my dogs. However there are days when I long for the days of just me and Sabs. I have moved from having a companion and partner to having a full time job. Don't misunderstand, it is always a labor of love but I don't take vacations, I can't sleep in, and I haven't eaten a meal in years that didn't come with dog hair.laugh out loudI have fond memories of leisurely strolls with Sabs, days spent cruising in the car, hikes in the mountains, and snuggling on my bed with her, a pizza and a good movie. Now I rotate dogs, rush through walks and 4 GSDs just don't fit in the car. Consider carefully what you might be giving up.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 12:46pm PST 
I love having three dogs, but I prefer only having two. Although I can get away with vacations, sleeping in, and stuffing all three dogs in my car easily - it is not as much fun as it was when I only had two.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 6:49am PST 
Agreeing with Sabi! Occasionally, when 'the black dogs' (they stick together and like to be outside, so they often stay out while the other two come in) are out, the bf and I will joke about how nice it is that we only have two dogs now. wink

We had trouble fitting all the dogs in our car, too... so when I got my new car I made sure it could fit them. That is the kind of thing having four dogs does to your life. Our house and car were both chosen to best accommodate the dogs. laugh out loud

It's got to be a lifestyle. I'd be lost without my 'pack'.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3