GO!

HELP! Any ideas?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:45am PST 
Please tell me which breed of dog best fits my criteria:

Personality Traits- Loyal & eager to please…”Velcro” Dog
Size- Not over 100lbs
Energy Level- Not extremely hyperactive…dogs that are constantly “go go go!”
Grooming requirements- No haircuts required
Amount of Shedding- Not an excessive shedder

I’m looking for a companion that would enjoy being apart of a lot of activities such as going to the beach and going to parks and things like that. Simply, a dog that is just happy to be by my side.

Thank you for your time smile
[notify]
Pippin - My Forever- Angel

Secret agent in- charge of- Squirrels

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:54am PST 
German Shorthairs fit many of your requirements. Avg. about 65lbs, extremely loyal, they require minimal grooming-just an occasional bath, and don't shed very much. As long as your lifestyle is active enough to keep them mentally and physically occupied, they are amazing dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:07am PST 
German Shorthaired Pointers are great dogs that are very athletic! My concern would be that they would be hyperactive even if I gave them adequate exercise which I realize they need a lot.
[notify]

Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 7:35pm PST 
Every German Shorthaired Pointer I have personally known very well (5 total) ... have been VERY active. They are a great breed on paper, but when you are working with a young one, you realize these are not dogs for everyone. Definitely go-go-go .... not for the weekend hiker. The only GSPs I would consider for you would be at least 5+ years old. They are super athletic and really need an owner dedicated to exercise and trainer.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 7:39pm PST 
How much exercise do you want to provide per day total? I can help narrow down breeds better with that information. And I won't judge you if you say a couple strolls per day ... its always better to underestimate your time commitment than overestimate it. Too many active dogs in the shelter for that very reason smile smile
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 7:47pm PST 
I would be able to give an hour per day maximum. I would minimally give any dog of mine half an hour if the breed does not require much exercise. I well exercised dog is a happy dog smile I do wish that my dog would enjoy the occasional outdoor activity such as long walks, trips to the park, swimming and so on.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 8:01pm PST 
Have you considered Whippets? Definitely velcro dogs that are very clean, no doggy-smell! They would be fine with 1 hour of exercise a day ... a few walks for an adult would be fine too. They are playful and like to sprint, but usually very lazy indoors. Puppies of any breed will be a lot of extra work ... chewing, nipping, house-training, and all that fun puppy stuff! I personally love adults, and I think it would be great in your case to have a dog that is old enough to participate in activities. Often makes for a much better match to get a dog that is a little bit more mature. You can find a Whippet Rescue in your area and inquire about meeting some dogs to get a feel for them. Occasionally breeders have older dogs returned or retired available to good homes too. And there are always Whippet mixes for adoption! smile
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:35pm PST 
My first response would be to look into rescue greyhounds. There are a lot of them in rescue and it makes it much easier to find the dog that you want. They fit your qualifications but I will state.

No sighthound is Every going to be an off leash dog. Other than that they make great companion dogs that are quiet in the house and would be more than happy with an hour a day of exercise as long as you have a fenced in yard or could make it to a fenced in dog park once or twice a week to allow them a good run.

Other things to consider

Do you have, or plan to have small animals or other pets in the house?
Do you have, or plan to have children?
How long are you gone per day?
If more than 8 -9 hours would you be willing to have a dog walker take your dog for a walk?
Do you like a dog on the larger end of your 100lbs or would you prefer a smaller dog?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 1:36pm PST 
I would suggest contacting rescues in your area & giving them your requirements. There are so many dogs in foster care that would be ideal for you. Living in foster care means the family knows their quirks, likes/dislikes, etc & love the dog enough to find the best possible match.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 3:56pm PST 
What about an American bulldog? Golden retriever?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2