GO!

Hunting Companion: GSP vs. Weimaraner

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 3:45pm PST 
I have a 28 month old weim female and my daughter has a 22 month old female. both are exceptional family dogs; great with children, never rough with young kids or older people or any sick. Only worked on pheasant, dove and ducks. they both do water like it is where they belong. the younger one went on her first hunt qt 10 or 11 months with no training pointed a pheasant held to the shot and then retrieved. The older one is mine and we went on a late season dove hunt last year with a group with gsp's who hunted multiple times per week. Only worked my weim on retrieving dummies. she left the gsp's in the dust (snow) whatever they missed she would go get with a hand signal and bring back to hand (my hand not theirs).

Had and trained dogs for 45 years (just never trained a hunting dog she is doing that herself). Never have anything else. Downside VELCRO. needy dogs but will do whatever you ask.
[notify]
Elsa

mycooldog.wordpr- ess.com

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:36pm PST 
That's awesome! I have seen Weims in the field and been very impressed. I wonder if actually utilizing dogs for the job they were bred to do ultimately affects their personality. Maybe all the nutso Weims I've met have just been dying to hit the woodssmile We went with a GSP though, he's 5 months old now and just a dream.
Mycooldog.wordpress.com
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3