GO!

If you could...?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 12:17pm PST 
Let's say you bought a property with 10 acres of land and a nice big house and had enough money...

Would you become a breeder or set up a rescue for your chosen breed?

I personally have no idea what I'd choose but my heart says rescue...I have dreams of becoming a successful Rottie breeder... I love Rotties but it's always perked my curiousity whether I'd rather become a great Rottie breeder and breed for temperament and all the other right reasons or would I rather start up a Rottie Rescue???

What breed would you dedicate your life to and would you breed or rescue?

And let's say, for the sake of this discussion, you can't do both puppy
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 12:28pm PST 
Neither really. I am ok with fostering an individual or two now and then but I think it would just run me down having to manage the day to day operations of an ongoing rescue.

Nor do I think I have anywhere close to enough knowledge of any single breed to get into breeding, nor am I trusting enough to rehome puppies with the general public..
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 1:27pm PST 
I've actually been looking into moving west and getting into the ranching business. I would definitely own a herding breed. As towards being a breeder...maybe. Good herders are really sought after out there. I wouldn't want to be the sole breeder, and I probably wouldn't want the dam either. I'd be stressing big time!

Oops forgot the rescue thing. No way. Not for me. Too weak-hearted, and I'm horrible at making decisions.

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 1:29pm PST

[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:20pm PST 
Rescue, absolutely. I know all sorts of resources and networks I'd have access to out here if I were to get a ranch. And I know sooo many people that would volunteer and help.

Breeding? Not sure, to be honest. Seems more stressful than rescue, lol.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:27pm PST 
Neither. Working 40 hours a week with other people's dogs (grooming) gets me to the point that, at the end of the day, I just want to come home and hang out with Nix and Ava. No other dogs. Just my own two, calm, well-mannered friends. smile I said goodbye to the desire to foster a long time ago. It would just be a whole heap of extra stress that none of us ("us" being my fiance and myself) need, and it would be bad for the dogs as well.

But with that kind of land, I'd probably be wanting to add another Border Collie, or a Borzoi... and fiance would probably want his Dalmatian (I always tell him that if we somehow become rich and move in to a huge house, we HAVE to get a third dog. Two just isn't enough to feel safe in a huge house! haha) but I wouldn't be interested in breeding, for the same reason that I wouldn't foster.

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 5:30pm PST

[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:31pm PST 
I wouldn't be able to do either. The only way I could would be if I hired someone to help me, and even then, I would be stressed out too much. I wouldn't be able to be a breeder becasue there is no way I can choose just one favorite breed, plus all the large and small details involved to be a responsible breeder would be too much for me. I would be stressing wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I wouldn't be able to rescue because I can't handle more than two dogs, that's my max.

Fostering is a different story, I would be able to do that, one dog at a time. way to go
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 6:12pm PST 
Truthfully, I wouldn't breed. It would break my heart and I'd probably go to jail if I ever found out one of my pups was being neglected or abused. Rescue? I've considered it, but like someone here said, I don't want to be burned out. I would rather foster dogs with behavior problems that may be facing a death sentence because shelters or rescues don't have the time or money to rehabilitate them. I think that would be very rewarding for me. smile
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 11:32pm PST 
I've thought about this. Not about being a breeder, but if I had the money and property, would I open a rescue.

No on the breeding. Doesn't interest me one bit to be involved with it.
Having the space/money to have a rescue sounds really nice but I don't think I could do it all day every day. And, of course, I do not have one wit of experience in this field.
I think I'd just help shelters and other rescues finacially. If they needed more space, I could let them use part of my property for free.

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '12 11:32pm PST

[notify]
Wufei

I'm not a boy,- I'm a real dog!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 1:27am PST 
I'd love to rescue, but if I'll be realistic about it... breed specific rescues are impossible in my country. I live in a country where purebreeds are taken cared of and mutts are given away, there are provinces where dog meat trade is rampant, some people are even proud to post in their facebook wall how they kick and hurt cats... There are animal rights laws but it's implementation leave a lot to be desired.

So yes, I'd want to rescue. Someday, maybe. puppy
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 1:45am PST 
Wufei, I'm sorry to hear that :o(

It's hard when your an animal lover and these things are going on close to home...

I've heard of a lot of rescues in South Korea that rescue dogs and cats from the meat trade and send them elsewhere to their loving homes... I think that would be very rewarding puppy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2