GO!

Responsible Dog Breeders Are Rare, But I found One and so can You.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 8:59am PST 
http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/responsible-dog-breeders-and-hobby- breeders

They're also looking for personal stories about how responsible breeders have made a difference to you/in your life, and may publish it on Dogster as a guest post.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 10:19am PST 
applause

Glad they did this one.

Only wish they had included something about the true monetary cost of getting a dog from a good breeder vs. a puppy mill. Really drive home that just because its pure bred, does not make it WELL bred, and that the odds of having serious medical issues from miller dogs is very, very high (which they touched on somewhat by including the health testing that a good breeder does, but to someone less informed that really doesn't mean much).

Either way, good little article.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:10am PST 
Mulder, there was a really great write up on a breeders website that compared buying a petstore/BYB/mill purebred to gluing a brand new BMW name plate to an old Toyota and bragging about buying a BMW. The breeder wanted to get the point across that a breed is much more than just its name and I thought it a great example.

I think the article did a good job of pointing out red flags when looking at websites. Breed club referrals are a great starting point although even they aren't foolproof sadly.

Edited by author Tue Sep 11, '12 11:13am PST

[notify]