GO!

Who doesn't have dog preferences?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 48)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 10:57pm PST 
Honestly, I wish more people in general were less "politically correct" and more willing to admit that they don't find every dog beautiful/attractive. I always feel like people who say a dog like.. for example.. Rosie, that Chihuahua from the horrible backyard breeder, is the most beautiful dog they've ever seen are really just kidding themselves. Yes, her past is very heartbreaking, and her recovery story is inspiring and all that goodness, but I just can't deny that Rosie takes the lead as the ugliest dog I've ever seen.

To tell the truth, I'm kinda picky when it comes to some doggy aesthetics.
I'm not a fan of brick-heads, or smooshed faces. I like breeds like Border collies, German Shepherds, Belgians, and to the more extreme case, sighthounds. Especially the Borzoi! I like dogs which have long, sleek faces. Droopy, hanging lips just don't do it for me. I also don't like hairy faces (no doggy mustaches for me!) laugh out loud

I like a slim athletic build too. No barrel chests, not a lot of bone, and not too much bulky muscle, but just enough. I want a "runner" rather than a "body builder." smile I don't mind being able to see some ribs, as long as they're not actually starving, of course! I prefer Ava and Nix to be on the light end of healthy weight.

As for fur? I like fur. No hair. Fur. Medium-to-long, double coats. cloud 9 But not too much that would make it excessive... I just couldn't deal with the earth bound cloud of fluff that is the Rough Collie. laugh out loud Though I occasionally see some Rough Collies who have a tad less coat (without being smooth coated) that looked very pretty to me, like this dog. OTOH, I've just never been a fan of the way smooth collies look--not enough fur on them. smile

Edited by author Sun Sep 16, '12 11:09pm PST

[notify]
Niki

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 7:50am PST 
I love Rough Collies ... but as with every breed they have the be (or at least have the appearance of) being well-balanced. That above photo dog does not have good structure. I'm a hypocrite for posting this on a thread about individual preferences - but I had to mention that wink
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 1:13pm PST 
It's not his structure I was showing off in the picture--I only posted that one because when I did google search it was the first one I saw that had the right amount of coat that I like in a rough Collie... those show-winning rough collies have waaayyy too much coat for me. wink His structure isn't good, but I like his coat, if that makes sense. smile

On that subject though, I don't care for the structure of show bred Border Collies. They just... look more like Spaniels than herding dogs to me, honestly. With their short muzzles, pronounced stop, and short legs, and overly fluffy coats that would pick up debris like nobody's business. If structure is important, then I guess I like the "structurally flawed" dogs that have long muzzles with shallow stop and longer legs with leaner bodies--the working border collies, like Nix who is 2" taller than the breed standard, and according to some (not here on Dogster--some on Facebook BC groups... not surprisingly.. lol) apparently doesn't look anything like a BC should, but he sure can work! laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Sep 17, '12 1:28pm PST

[notify]

Niki

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 5:49pm PST 
Don't worry - that makes total sense to me! When I first got into Collies I switched between Roughs and Smooth ... couldn't tell which one to love more! A guess a medium-coated one would have been a nice compromise! smile

Funny though, I love show-line Border Collies. They are so different from working lines, definitely a breed with a love of variety. I don't dislike the taller, leaner, or short-coated ones by any means .... I think they are a stunning breed all around. I love the personality of Australian Shepherds and will never be without one, but when it comes to appearance I will admit the BC takes the cake! wink
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 9:07am PST 
I can find something beautiful in any breed of dogsmile That said, I tend to stop and stare at the wolf type dogs. There is a Malamute on my flyer run that I adore cloud 9 An acquaintance has a Siberian Husky with beautiful blue eyes . I find well bred GSD"S very noble looking. And any black dog will get my attentionbig grin
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:38pm PST 
I feel guilty, but I'm picky aesthetically. I was just babbling on another thread about the breeds I like the look of, but I wouldn't need or care if purebred, if the dog has the "look". Ace is a mutt, but she definitely fit into what I like to see in a dog (probably part Husky, and ??? GSD or Belgian Mal). And my daughter's Husky is a handsome guy.

That's not to say dogs can't have uniquely odd things about them. We don't have a normal eye in the house, for example - Ace is parti-eyed and Kale the husky is bi-eyed. Love looking into their eyes anyway - I don't see it as flawed smile
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 11:02am PST 
There are very few dogs or breeds I find ugly. But also extremely beautiful dogs are less common than "just dogs". There are dogs I would not take home with me if it was only about looks but I do not complain to their owners about it.

I like prick ears, straight low-carried tail, pretty long and straight head, dark eyes and a normal body in a dog.

When I pick a dog, looks isn't that important, as far the build of the dog is sound. I get used to curly hair, wrong coat color, too narrow head or odd tail while they have no effect on the dog's mobility, reproduction, skin condition, senses or any other things a normal dog can do or have. But I do not tolerate short nose, loose skin, curved back, bulging eyes or other that may effect the dog's health and I will never have a bred dog with these traits.

My parents have a Spanish water dog mix that looks almost pure-bred. She has nearly any characteristic I don't like except short nose, short legs, curved back, or loose skin. She is brown and her size is irritable because she is somewhere between my likings of a proper size for a dog (either clearly small like a terrier or medium/big like a collie), she has light eyes, white spots, ring-tail she carries on her back, curly hair growing everywhere and floppy ears. And I learned to like that dog. I was also scared how long and narrow noses collies have when I took Alva. But still I brought her home.

Edited by author Sat Sep 22, '12 11:05am PST

[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 4:13pm PST 
I will openly say that I find some dogs ugly as far as looks go, that doesnt stop them being nice dogs.. Or there are some beautiful dogs with ugly temperaments. Looks shouldnt be the be all and end all in the world, so what if I personally find a dog ugly, or someone finds my dog to be ugly laugh out loud I dont get why some people make such a big deal over it!

Personally I am not a fan of squish faced dogs, especially those whos eyes bug out. just not my thing! I like German Shepherds and dogs which look similar big grin. I am also a sucker for some bully faces, or a well groomed poodle! I can honestly say I have seen ugly examples of all breeds, and ok examples of most laugh out loud but even the good examples of certain breeds just dont do it for me!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 48)  
1  2  3  4  5